Yes, this posting is late. HUGELY late. Before you judge me, let me explain. I was up late last night building a flying saucer with my sister's boyfriend.

Oh, all right, it's because I'm visiting while I'm in town for some booksignings and they are huge Halloween junkies. Let's put it this way: I have to go to the store later for another fog machine, stakes, another fence if we can find one, caution tape and Krackles. (Well, those are for me.)

If you're Halloween isn't as busy as mine (I hear knives being sharpened for pumpking carving!!) I recommend you sit down with a good Halloweeny book, mine: Underdead in Denial and a bowl of candy. Underdead In Denial is the sequel to award winning Underdead, about overworked, underappreciated middle school science teacher Jo Gartner who is bitten by an inept vampire and becomes almost undead.

In the sequel, orgeous, enigmatic vampire Will is back and nearly undead Jo Gartner is more determined than ever to avoid all things vampire and maintain a normal life. And what's more normal than doing community service to help a lovesick friend? But getting dressed up in a Halloween costume for a haunted house fundraiser is not what Jo had in mind. Especially when one of the extras turns up dead…

"Light-hearted mystery with a touch of the paranormal and a hint of romance is a recipe for a just about perfect read. Having read tons of vampire novels since getting hooked on the genre, I thought I had seen pretty much every variety of the story, but this is something refreshing and new."~~ Huntress Reviews on Underdead


EXCERPT:
“Something’s going on with you.” Becky gave my black-topped demo counter a quick, automatic check for spills and leaned against it. “And I think I know what it is.”

“You do?” It came out as a whisper.

“Yes. Let’s look at the symptoms, shall we?” She ticked them off on her fingers. “You haven’t gone on a date in months, you get here at dawn, leave at dusk and spend your weekends sitting alone inside your apartment eating nothing but takeout burgers and chocolate, when you eat
at all.”

She narrowed her dark almond-shaped eyes at me. I swallowed convulsively, unable to look away.

“You’ve got chronic PMS,” she said.

“What? I do not have—”

She grinned and then her expression sobered. “I am worried that you’re depressed.”

I grunted in dismissal.

“Not that I blame you,” She looked around my classroom at the solar system dioramas, sagging volcano posters, and dusty mineral display and curled her lip. “Teaching eighth grade earth science would depress anyone. But I have a plan.”

“Oh no.” I knew her plans. It was because of one of them that I now occupied the strange and lonely world between normal human being and vampire. I sank deeper in my chair and closed my eyes, trying to ignore the sharp bite of disappointment. I longed to tell her—tell her what? I couldn’t explain what was really going on. It was too fantastical.

I was too tired to make up another of my excuses. Maybe if I fell asleep she’d just go away.

“Better yet, I’ve already set the wheels in motion.”

My eyes snapped back open. “Becky, what have you done?”

*****
And don't forget to etrick or treat with me and other Paranormal, Fantasy and Horror authors. The winner gets a huge bag of books and Halloween treats, including a signed copy of UNDERDEAD. To play, visit my website at www.lizjasper.com!


Liz Jasper
Award winning mystery author of UNDERDEAD and
UNDERDEAD IN DENIAL
www.lizjasper.com Not undead, merely...UNDERDEAD

3 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // October 31, 2008 at 4:56 PM  

    Now that looks like a good book!

  2. Liz Jasper // October 31, 2008 at 4:57 PM  

    Thanks Mary, many cyber chocolates to you!!

  3. Mary Marvella // October 31, 2008 at 11:58 PM  

    That really sounds like a good read.