Late Ghost Story

Posted by Anonymous | 8:45 PM | 12 comments »

Judith Gilbert sent me a really eerie story. I KNEW this group would enjoy it!


EVER HAD THE FEELING YOU'RE BEING...WATCHED?
The minute I entered the Alamo I felt uneasy, like someone was watching me.


As I moved through this busy place, the feeling grew stronger. I glanced around and saw nothing unusual, so I shoved my uneasiness aside. I'm a history buff. The Alamo is literally a cemetery for hundreds of people, both Mexican and Texan, and nothing was going to stop me from touring the most visited historic site in Texas. I intended reading every plaque and scrap of paper in the place.


I spotted two small boys, maybe thirteen years old, dressed in period costumes, walking behind one of the tour groups. I figured the boys were actors, part of the props and smiled at them, only to see them become smoky, transparent and disappear.


My heart did a flip. Okay, the Alamo has ghosts. No surprise. For decades, people have been reporting bizarre tales. You've seen ghosts before. They won't hurt you, I kept reminding myself. But they died horrible, sad deaths and are restless. But you can't help them, my mind screamed.


I strolled toward the courtyard and fountain. The four sides are engraved with Bonham, Bowie, Travis and Crockett, defenders who lost their lives at the Alamo. What should have been a tranquil scene turned anything but tranquil. A deep sorrow filled me, so heavy, so intense I could barely catch my breath.


That's it. I've seen enough.


As I walked the grounds, I quickened my pace, heading toward the exit. A sharp pain pierced my side, filling me with a hot burning sensation. Instantly I had a sense that I was dying a thousand deaths.


Unable to shake the oppressive terror, I ran like hell, until I found myself outside.


Since then, I've talked to several people who've also reported similar feelings, as if experiencing the deaths of those spirits trapped forever within the Alamo.


I took a couple of paranormal classes as research for writing and mentioned this incident. The psychics contributed the strong reaction to a possible reincarnation, "What if you died at the Alamo?" I haven't been able to shake that question, but I don't believe in reincarnation. I only know what I saw and what I felt. Maybe I did feel the deaths of some of the people who died back then. Whatever it was, you won't find me visiting the Alamo again, not to relive my own past death, as some believe, or to feel how others died. That's the one and only time I've been terrified enough to run like hell because I really think there were too many ghosts for me to block feeling their horrible anguish and sudden, violent death.
J Gilbert, the dark side of Judith

12 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // October 31, 2008 at 11:57 PM  

    Now that's scary!

  2. Mary Marvella // October 31, 2008 at 11:57 PM  

    Thanks for the story.

  3. Anonymous // November 1, 2008 at 3:09 AM  

    Gave me the creeps! I've been to the Alamo. Felt nothing. Absolutely nothing. I don't like ghosts like me. Good thing I'm not pursuing a ghost hunting as a profession.;)

  4. Mona Risk // November 1, 2008 at 5:34 AM  

    What a terrifying experience. And yet I am a skeptic. Are you sure it wasn't your overactive writer's imagination? I don't believe in ghosts but I think once people believe in ghosts they become ultra sensitive to their presence and can FEEL them often.

    I am very curious now. It's time to visit the Alamo. Who knows since I will be looking everywhere for ghosts, maybe I will see them. Thanks for a great post, Judy.

  5. Unknown // November 1, 2008 at 7:17 AM  

    You have a wonderful imagination! Loved this anecdote. It caught my eye because I am a DAUGHTER OF THE TEXAS REPUBLIC, and the main goal of the daughters is to keep the Alamo in good shape--it takes tons of money.I don't know that I had a relative at the Alamo, but I might have. Celia Yeary

  6. Mary Ricksen // November 1, 2008 at 1:14 PM  

    Freaky! and frightening. I think I'll skip the Alamo if I'm ever back in Texas.

  7. Terry Spear // November 1, 2008 at 1:40 PM  

    Super ghost story, Judy! I had my own in the Palo Duro Canyon while I was in Army ROTC bivouacing for the night from West Texas State U, now West Texas A&M. Frightening, but sooo real!

    Thanks for sharing! Terry

  8. Clover Autrey // November 1, 2008 at 4:13 PM  

    I've been in the Alamo several times and always felt the sad, someone is watching you feeling, though it is usually so crowded with tourists I'm amazed that feeling can still be felt.

  9. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 1, 2008 at 6:51 PM  

    Thanks Cyndi for taking the time to share this new story with us! It was truly impressive!

    I promised you a ghost story and decided to tie it to GRW's M&M's Conference--years ago when my daughter was about 12 she attended the conference with me. Since she had grown up with the group, she was welcome and knew many of the editors. We went with a group of editors and published writers to Aunt Fanny's Cabin, a well know local favorite. We were sitting at the table enjoying the family style service of true Southern cooking when my daughter turned to me and said, "Momma, what are those lights out there?"
    We were sitting in the large ballroom which had floor to ceiling windows. I looked and saw only the parking lot with a few street lights. I said as much. She looked again turned her chair away from the windows and got really quiet. I asked her what was wrong and she explained there were fires outside, campfires with soldiers dress in gray milling around. Her comment got the attention of one of the historical writers who informed us the land outside had been a campsite for Confederate forces during the battle of Kennesaw.

    The Scarlet Pumpernickel

  10. Mary Marvella // November 1, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

    Wow, Scarlett, I didn't know Shane was receptive to ghosts.

  11. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 1, 2008 at 9:27 PM  

    She is! Much more than myself, I believe. I just saw one lone ghost dog, she saw an entire Confederate camp!

    When she was a little older we talked about what she saw. She said they were dressed in Confederate uniforms and walking around the campfires, their guns were stacked like corn stalks, I believe she said.

    Scarlet

  12. Nightingale // November 10, 2008 at 5:49 PM  

    WOW! I do believe in reincarnation and I had this overwhelming desire to go to a reenactment of the Battle of Worcester once.