I wrote a blog about my return to horses but my computer has hidden it from me so I'd like to pose a question instead. Below is the beginning of my new WIP. Is this too much scene setting for a romance or does it read more like a fantasy?


The final morning in April, night grudgingly faded to gray, and there took an icy stand against daybreak. The melancholy day, restless with the floating shadows of clouds, was short-lived. Long before the evening hour, torches smoked and flickered in the drafty passages of the castle. I smelled the storm brewing on the horizon, but fair weather or foul, from sundown to sunrise, the Demon Wind howled its lament, whispered through cracks in the stone walls, whipped up dust devils on the floors, ruffled heavy velvet curtains and wool tapestries. Whimsical gusts toyed with the hems of women’s skirts. The wind caused candles to flicker, fires to gutter and stirred ghostly shadows. An unquiet spirit, the Demon Wind, haunted the Castle Kharsag.


The Demon Wind had been born the night the King murdered my brother. Sometimes I wished we had all perished to the sword. Many were the nights I dreamed of murdering my brothers and sister in their sleep. If we’d died as babes, we might have become a legend. But we had not died, and most people considered our survival a great tragedy.


As a child, I couldn’t understand why having wings made me a freak. As an adult, I understood perfectly. The lesson had been shackled to my feet and chained to my wrists.

5 comments

  1. Toni V.S. // October 25, 2008 at 11:55 AM  

    So why can't it be both? It's certainly evocative and tantalizing enough? And intriguing, since at this point, we don't know whether the speaker is male or female.

  2. Mary Ricksen // October 25, 2008 at 1:04 PM  

    Toni is right. I think it sounds like a great beginning of a paranormal. You can evoke the romance part of it at any time. We already know that there is a challenge and a chance for character growth. Just throw in the romance!

  3. Nightingale // October 25, 2008 at 1:16 PM  

    Thanks girls. I just didn't know if the beginning was too slow for a romance.

  4. Mary Marvella // October 25, 2008 at 3:16 PM  

    No, it isn't! It's perfecti

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 30, 2008 at 1:36 AM  

    What a start ! Love it Linda

    Scarlet