There seem to be lots of Social Networking sites springing up. I’ve started looking at them recently. Because my first book, The Magic Knot, will be out next February, I now have a reason to promote myself

I’ve signed up for a Myspace and Facebook, which I’m sure everyone has heard of. So far, Myspace has proved valuable in networking and making contacts. I’ve already had a magazine I ‘friended’ request an interview with me and they’re interested in reviewing my book. I’ve also had a request from an Internet review site for copies of my book to review. These sites are great to get your name out and make contacts with other writers, industry professional, and if you have a published book, your readers.

I’ve also recently heard about something called Twitter. I’ve signed up to find out what it’s like. This group seems to be a network of people who send short ‘tweets’ of one sentence out regularly to their ‘followers’ to keep them updated. I’m not sure how useful this will be. I’m having difficulty accessing the site. It seems to be overloaded with traffic.

The networking site Bebo is popular with younger teenagers. My son, who’s fourteen, and his friends use Bebo. If you write YA or middle grade books, this would be a good networking community to join.

There are also communities set up to cater for readers. Goodreads and Shelfari are two I know of. These give you the opportunity to make friends and share with them the books you’ve read and enjoyed and get tips on new books you might enjoy reading. These are also useful sites for authors to promote themselves. I’ve also heard of Library Thing, which I believe is set up in a similar way, although I’m not a member of this group.

7 comments

  1. Nightingale // May 28, 2008 at 9:14 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  2. Nightingale // May 28, 2008 at 9:15 PM  

    I made too many typos. Great info, thanks! I've filed under must keep when the opportunity to put it in gear presents.

  3. Nightingale // May 28, 2008 at 9:16 PM  

    I meant that I deleted my comment because there were too many typos -- NOT YOUR POST.

  4. Devon Gray // May 29, 2008 at 7:15 AM  

    Thanks for all the great information!

  5. Beth Trissel // May 29, 2008 at 7:30 AM  

    Very informative piece, Helen. I love myspace and am exploring several other sites. Facebook too.

  6. Diana Cosby // May 29, 2008 at 11:14 AM  

    Helen,
    First, congratulations on being this years American Title winner! How totally exciting!
    Interesting blog. For me, I'm still seeking/learning how use promo most effective. So far, I realize that it's easy to be overwhelmed. What I do is choose the promo that I enjoy doing.
    My sincere best to you.

    Diana Cosby
    www.dianacosby.com

  7. Beth Trissel // May 29, 2008 at 11:49 AM  

    Choosing promo that you enjoy is very good advice.