CONTEST:
I have three good things to celebrate:
My return to computer and Internet life,
My new contract with The Wild Rose Press for BABIES in the BARGAIN,
And my upcoming release of FRENCH PERIL with Cerridwen Press on June 19, 2008.Would you like to share my joy?

I am running a contest on my blog http://www.monarisk.blogspot.com/
All you have to do is post a comment everyday between today and Thursday. On Thursday night I will pull three names from all those who left a comment.And I will send them a special prize.

People often ask: how do you come with the idea of a book? Let me tell you about:


FRENCH PERIL

I visited the Chateaux of the Loire Valley a few years ago and was impressed by their magnificence. I visualized gallant aristocrats entertaining beautiful women in the plush gardens. Stories played in my mind. But I don’t write historical romances and I forgot about my project.

At Christmas time, I visited my sister. During dinner, my niece told us with enthusiasm about her summer training in a French chateau. A team of American students in Architecture from Harvard University were offered the unique opportunity to work on the restoration of a chapel in France. When I asked jokingly, “Was the owner a haughty old man?” My niece answered: “He was a young, handsome count and the five girls in my team had a crush on him. He dated my friend.”

Oh, oh. Chateau. Handsome young count. Training on a historical chapel. I had an epiphany. Here was my story premise. When I pitched it at the RWA conference to an agent, she suggested that I add suspense and make my story a romantic suspense. I took her suggestion to heart and upped the stakes by adding a missing statue and the murder of a professor to the plot.

French Peril was born.

Blurb:

A summer job in France with room and board in a chateau owned by a handsome count. Can it get any better for Cheryl Stewart? The graduate student in Architecture is now officially on a mission for her sick professor.

Count François can’t hide his disappointment when Cheryl arrives instead of her eminent professor. But the aristocratic playboy is not one to turn away a beautiful young woman. He allows her to manage the restoration of the chateau’s chapel while keeping his search for a valuable historical statue a secret from the other students working on the project.

Soon things deteriorate. The professor is poisoned, the chateau’s butler attacked and Cheryl’s room burglarized. Is there a traitor in the chateau or a killer on the loose? When Cheryl’s summer job changes into a romantic involvement and dangerous treasure hunt, Count François is faced with a difficult choice. Is the priceless statue worth jeopardizing the safety of the impetuous young woman who has stolen his heart?
Note: This book contains explicit sex scenes.

7 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // May 27, 2008 at 2:45 AM  

    Fascinating, Mona!

  2. Mona Risk // May 27, 2008 at 7:47 AM  

    Thank you Mary.

  3. Beth Trissel // May 27, 2008 at 2:05 PM  

    Sounds like a real suspense/thriller, Mona. Very interesting.

  4. Beth Trissel // May 27, 2008 at 11:50 PM  

    Mona, your cover is very appealing, btw.

  5. Helen Scott Taylor // May 28, 2008 at 5:51 AM  

    I'm lucky enough to have read this story already and it is as exciting and romantic as the blurb suggests. Lovely cover again!

  6. Nightingale // May 28, 2008 at 11:20 AM  

    Explicit sex scenes. Now I'm even more interested! The excerpt was a grand hook in and of itself. Congrats on your news, Mona!

  7. Beth Trissel // May 28, 2008 at 10:26 PM  

    Mona, I'm leaving you comments on your blog, being determined to get in on this contest.