Feel free to back up and read the previous blog before or after you read this one. Imagine a twelve-year old girl in a cult like that one in the news about to marry an older man. What must she be thinking?

She’s writing in a journal she hides from everyone, least she incur the wrath of the women or the elders.

Mother Amanda says I shall marry elder James tomorrow. She says I will be blessed to marry such a good man, but I don’t see how. He has always been kind to me but so stern and old enough to be my grandfather. I begged to be allowed to wait until I reach my womanhood or even until I am fourteen, but Mother Beth said I must not mention this to him or to anyone else. It is not my place to question my elders. I will be wife number seven to him and have been welcomed into the family already by all but his youngest wife.

I will miss living with Mother Amanda and Mother Beth who taught me to cook and sew and plant vegetables.

Sarah seems content enough with her marriage to Ben but he is twenty-two and has only one other wife, Judith, Sarah’s best friend. Sarah grows heavy with child after seven months of marriage. She will become a mother before her fifteenth birthday. Mother Beth and Ben’s mother help Judith and Sarah.

I don’t want to be a wife yet. What will Elder James expect of me? Everything the women say about marriage makes me sure I don’t want it yet. I am wicked to wish for a husband like Ben, young and handsome. If I must serve a man, why couldn’t I serve one who doesn’t frighten me?

5 comments

  1. Nightingale // April 21, 2008 at 12:13 PM  

    From fact to fiction, excellent leap. I could have believed it an excerpt from a real diary. Very sad.

  2. Mary Marvella // April 21, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

    Thanks. I suspect there are journal entries or conversations that express the same thoughts. Historically, girls married older men, but the reasons were different and I think there is so much more we don't know about this situation.

  3. Beth Trissel // April 21, 2008 at 5:44 PM  

    Historically, yes, girls have been married off to older men against their will. And in some parts of the world, still are. But this is now, America, the home of the free and the brave. And the proud and all of that good stuff.

  4. Misc. Muse // April 24, 2008 at 6:59 PM  

    The Wedding Dress and Star Trilogy was about Polygamy. Both are very good books.

  5. Mary Marvella // April 30, 2008 at 12:42 PM  

    Good to know.

    My concern was about such young brides who have no choice. So many people don't realize what can still happen in our world in our time in our country.