I'm so new at this blogging thing I squeak, but I do have a few helpful beauty hints

Dry lips? Many of us have dry lips. They can be caused by medications, allergies to lip products, constant licking , and/or our choice of toothpaste.

If you feel lipstick is the culprit, consider how the lipstick smells and tastes. If the lipstick smells pretty, you should avoid using it for a few days. You can use a vitamin E stick or a lip balm under your lipstick. Using mat or long wearing lipsticks can cause your lips to dry out as can using your lip pencil over the entire lip. Look at the ingredients for drying chemicals.

If you have tried every brand of lipstick available, you might try switching your toothpaste. Products that whiten teeth likely contain soda and/or other drying chemicals. Strong mouthwashes dry lips and gums, too.

If you aren't willing to change toothpaste, you need to keep as little toothpaste on your lips as possible. You could coat your lips with rich lotions, vitamin E or A products or aloe before you brush and afterwards.

Have questions? Ask away.

3 comments

  1. Sherry Morris // August 22, 2007 at 7:27 AM  

    A R.N. told me to always use moisturizing lipstick because the other kind would dry out my lips. She was right.

    I've also found that the Cover Girl lip gloss I love causes my skin around my lips to break out. When I use hypo-allergenic Almay, no break outs.

  2. Cinthia Hamer // August 22, 2007 at 7:05 PM  

    Mary, I've been using the LipTox you loaned me and I've noticed that my lips are really softening up as well as *plumping* up. A nice bonus!

    I've also discovered that if I remember to wash my lips in the shower when I wash my face it helps to exfoliate them and they're a lot smoother.

  3. Mary Marvella // August 23, 2007 at 1:24 AM  

    You can rub your lips with a washcloth or put lotion on them, then rub off the dead skin.

    You can purchase a lip exfoliater or use one for your face. Just don't overdo and make your lips sore.

    Mary