Posted by Autumn Jordon | 8:21 PM | 9 comments »

Sept. 2, 2012 8pm

The inspiration for this blog came at me from many sources. It’s Labor Day weekend, the unofficial, official last day of summer. Summer is supposedly the most activate season of the year, at least, it is here in the northern hemisphere. And supposedly during the most activate season losing weight is easy. HA!

We’re constantly on the go, and fast food is easy to grab and take with us. Picnics buffets are laden with high cariole salads and processed meats or meats drenched in sauces, and let’s not talk about desserts. Okay let’s talk desserts; smores, funnel cake, cakes, pies and everyone screams for ice cream with whip cream and a mega assortment of toppings. But I’m not telling you don’t know yourself.

Another thing that happened to prompt this blog was a friend sent me a link to an organic food site after our discussion concerning health issues. I fell in love with the site and spent hours reading its pages, which lead to other health food pages. My DH and I love green tea, and while on the site, I learned green tea is not only beneficial to those suffering from certain diseases, but also helps with weight lost—prepared a certain way. I also learned the benefits of wildflower honey, also can be used to help with health loss. Sweet!

Next, this morning, on the front page of the Sunday paper, I saw an article about the rise of obesity of our children. Did you know only 5.7 % of American children in 1976 were considered obese and 2010 that percentage raised to 18%? The facts didn’t surprise me, because my DH and I had this conversation just last week on how our grandchildren spent more time in the house on a beautiful summer day then we ever did at their age. I’ve heard it said that technology has set his free, but it really has slowed or tied us down in many ways.

You know the old adage that he/she can’t walk and chew gum at the same time. I’m going to change the saying to, a majority of people can’t walk and text at the same time.
Then, I picked up my mail from yesterday and there was my Healthy You magazine. I flipped through the pages and found an article on packing healthy lunches for your children and yourself. There wasn’t one thing on the menus that I didn’t like. So why not eat them? hmmmm not to Some things they told you not to eat were white bread, prepackaged meals, juice, soda and other high-sugar drinks. Must haves were Protein (peanut butter, egg, turkey, hummus, tuna), whole-grains, fruits and veggies, water and low-fat milk.

The next article talked about heart health and exercise. We should be exercising at least three times a week for an hour. Three hours out of 168 is not bad at all. The piece went on to state if you can’t exercise for an hour, then do twenty minutes at a time or even ten minutes, but get your three hours in. I know an older woman (near 80 years of age) who walks in her small apartment every single day for a half-hour while listening to favorite music. She doesn’t stop to clean or tend to laundry, she walks. She is amazing.

Again, I’m sure I didn’t tell you anything you didn’t already know, but sometimes we need to be reminded to take care of ourselves.

As writers, we tend to sit too much. From now on, instead of staring at the cursor, I’m going to brainstorm on my feet. I can’t type while writing, so I’m not even going to discuss the trend-walker desktops. However several times a day, I’m going for a walk and stretch my muscles and mind.

Do you have any other health tips that have worked for you?

9 comments

  1. Judith Keim // September 3, 2012 at 1:11 PM  

    Great ideas and info, Autumn! Yes, we writers are living dangerously. We all need to get up and walk around on a regularly basis and not into the kitchen! LOL So easy to say, so hard to do. Thanks for a great blog!

  2. Autumn Jordon // September 3, 2012 at 1:29 PM  

    Thanks, Judi. Rain stopped, my sneakers are on and I'm heading out to mind-write the next page.

  3. Mary Ricksen // September 3, 2012 at 1:46 PM  

    As far as losing weight I am the queen of up and down. When I seriously diet my sweet of choice is cantaloupe. Why, because if you get a sweet one it's like heaven in your mouth and a whole cantaloupe is like only 50 calories or so, depending on size. I could eat all I wanted!!!And it sure beats celery!

  4. Autumn Jordon // September 3, 2012 at 2:08 PM  

    Cantaloupe is delicious and you're right, lower on calories, per size of other fruits. I think it's more like 150 for a smalll. I don't hink I could eat a whole small melon.

    I do like celery, but usually with peanut butter. while PB is protein, it is calorie packed, so you need to limit.

    Great advice, Mary.

  5. Josie // September 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM  

    Hi Autumn,
    We try to be very nutrition conscious at my house. We've recently discovered fish oil, which seems to be a very healthy alternative for arthritis pain.

  6. Mona Risk // September 4, 2012 at 11:49 AM  

    Great post Autumn. I'll continue on the same theme.

  7. Beth Trissel // September 4, 2012 at 1:58 PM  

    Great post, Autumn. I'm with you on this. I have the added challenge of gluten free these days with my intolerance, but it does limit my access to all of the goodies you mentioned.

  8. Mary Marvella // September 6, 2012 at 12:16 AM  

    I try to take fish oil, vitamin E, and flax seed oil. All for oiling joints and heart health.

  9. Josie // September 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM  

    Good tips, Autumn. Wow! I didn't realize that child obesity was such a problem. I recently watched a documentary titled "Forks Over Knives." The diet promotes whole grains, fruits, and vegetables.