'Liberty, once lost, is lost forever.'
~JOHN ADAMS, letter to Abigail Adams, Jul. 17, 1775

In these troubled times in America, it’s wise to remember where we came from  and what our founders envisioned for this great nation. Being an American is a sacred privilege, our hard-won freedoms, fast eroding, should never be taken for granted, and preserving these inalienable rights, a call to arms for all who cherish liberty. With that in mind, I highly recommend watching the excellent HBO production that came out several years ago featuring the indomitable John Adams–appropriately entitled John Adams. Not to be confused (as I’ve done) with an earlier production, The Adam’s Chronicles, (not that this wasn't also a worthy series).
What John Adams and his remarkable wife, Abigail, and their entire family suffered and sacrificed in the forging of America is unbelievable. Not only them, but countless others as well.  I wonder if I’d last a day in that turbulent era, and yet, my forebears did.  So did many of yours.  If your ancestors were not yet in this country at its birth, no doubt they played an important role in making America what it is, or is intended to be, at its finest. Let us not forget, or our children and grandchildren will pay the price. Theirs already is a vastly different America than the nation envisioned by its outstanding founders with their mind-boggling perseverance.
As an author with several stories set in early America, and currently at work on the sequel to my Revolutionary War romance novel Enemy of the King, I’m particularly mindful of our roots.  Join me in the quest to remember.
***Enemy of the King banner by my talented daughter Elise.

9 comments

  1. Misha Gerrick // September 27, 2012 at 4:45 PM  

    Great post. :-) I'd love to read your story, since the Revolutionary War and its big players always fascinated me. Even if I've never been to the US. :-)

    BTW do you know that you have word verification activated?

  2. Beth Trissel // September 27, 2012 at 5:03 PM  

    Thanks, and no I didn't realize that. Will check it out.

  3. Autumn Jordon // September 27, 2012 at 8:55 PM  

    Great post, Beth. You're right we need to remember those who gave so much for future generations. I pray the decisions I make will help a better life for my grandchildren and their children.

  4. Beth Trissel // September 27, 2012 at 9:05 PM  

    Amen to that, Autumn.

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 27, 2012 at 10:58 PM  

    Beth, you've hit on one of my favorite subjects. American history, especially the colonial and revolutionary period are facinating. My ancestor were on both sides of the issue. My mother's family, living in South Carolina at the time, supported the king. While my father's family were rebels through and through. Thank you for sharing this timely post to remind us to look to the past in forming the future.

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 27, 2012 at 11:00 PM  

    Don't you just hate it when you proof read after posting and find errors? That should be ancestors!

  7. Mary Marvella // September 27, 2012 at 11:03 PM  

    grin!

  8. Beth Trissel // September 28, 2012 at 7:14 AM  

    Scarlet, thanks so much, and I have ancestors who fought on both sides too. :)

  9. Josie // September 30, 2012 at 8:39 PM  

    Such a riveting series, Beth. I remember also reading the John Adams book and thoroughly enjoying it. Thanks for another interesting post.