IT Scares The Hell Out Of Me

Posted by Autumn Jordon | 11:14 PM | 12 comments »

Thursday, Sept, 13, 2012

Dear blog,

Often times it’s hard to know what to write here. Anyone in the world could open this link and read what I’ve written. That is both exciting and scary as hell.

It’s not news that technology has turned the publishing world upside down and has created golden opportunities for writers, but at what cost?

Disappearing are the days when a writer wrote a story, submitted it to a publisher, and, upon acceptance, said publisher handled all the promotion for the work. Well, the promotion part disappeared years ago for a majority of authors. This change created the necessity for blogs and other social networking sites where authors need to interact with readers every day in order to reach online consumers, which is the largest market. The hay day for malls are over.

Like I said above, blogging and other social networking avenues are exciting because today’s author can actual reach more readers then the authors of say twenty years ago, with substantially less cost and interact with them on a daily basis. But does that benefit come at a higher cost?

Social networking is scary as hell. We’re putting ourselves out there to people we don’t know. Have you wondered if the cute avatar depicting a sassy chick with a ponytail really is a nice person, or even a girl? How do you know?
I know people who get friend requests and just click yes without attempting to find out a little bit about the person who will have access to their world. I know people who’ve posted their family’s pictures and pictures of their homes without thought. I’ve even seen people post that they can’t wait until next week when they will be on vacation in sunny somewhere.

I have to admit, I’ve posted pictures of the views surrounding my home and a few pictures of what I consider art inside my house on social networking sites. Just having done that scares me, because I wonder if some not so nice person will in some way use the info to invade my privacy.

Here is a link to microsoft where you'll find thier safety tips: http://www.microsoft.com/security/family-safety/blogging.aspx

Are there any steps you take to protect yourself when socializing online?

12 comments

  1. Mona Risk // September 13, 2012 at 7:22 AM  

    Autumn, I agree with you. I am very wary of posting things and pictures on FB. One of my friends was the victim of identity theft and has been going through hell for the last three mnths.

  2. Patrice Wilton // September 13, 2012 at 7:26 AM  

    My daughter posts all her personal pictures on facebook as well and she isn't networking but friends only people she knows. Maybe that's safe but she has two beautiful little daughters under 6so who knows what is safe anymore!

  3. Autumn Jordon // September 13, 2012 at 10:21 AM  

    I had an FBI agent tell me a tory of a local man who had his ID stolen and for years lived a nightmare. All from info put out there on the net. Scary indeed.

  4. Autumn Jordon // September 13, 2012 at 10:35 AM  

    Patrice, The problem is whatever you put out there stays out there forever and is acessible by hackers. I'm sure you've heard of emails, tweeter and Facebook accounts being hacked. I know I warn my children too. Scary world we need to be in to be heard.

  5. Sandra Dailey // September 13, 2012 at 12:46 PM  

    Thanks for the link Autumn. It's a darned if you do and darned if you don't situation.

  6. Autumn Jordon // September 13, 2012 at 12:54 PM  

    So trues, Sandy. Sigh And you're welcome.

  7. Mary Ricksen // September 13, 2012 at 1:50 PM  

    I know someone who made the error of saying they were going out of town. She got robbed!
    I soooo get what you are saying. the only thing I have public is pics of my dogs and my DH. No one has stolen him however...

  8. Pamela Varnado // September 13, 2012 at 3:00 PM  

    Scary stuff, Autumn. I seldom post pictures of my family on facebook. Like Patrice's daughter, my daughter posts all her personal family pictures. I try to school her about what could happen, but she insists only people she trusts are her friends. This is troublesome because technology is evolving so fast, who knows what will be possible next year, heck even tomorrow. What we think is secure today, may not be tomorrow.

  9. Josie // September 13, 2012 at 3:37 PM  

    Autumn,
    I don't take the precautions I probably should. Thanks for the reminder.

  10. Autumn Jordon // September 13, 2012 at 5:41 PM  

    Mary, I'm so sorry for your friend.

    Pam, I had just loaded this blog last night and then read your blog and thought LOL the other side of the coin. And you're right, we don't not where technology will lead us tomorrow. Hopefully to a safer world.

    You're welcome, Josie.

  11. Mary Marvella // September 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM  

    I no longer mention plans to be away from my house for days. When I mention students I don't give last names or locations.

  12. Beth Trissel // September 15, 2012 at 8:54 AM  

    A somber warning, Autumn.