Musing on writing

Posted by Scarlet Pumpernickel | 5:44 PM | 14 comments »

I haven't written much lately. School has started and I'm back in the classroom. That is really a drag when you want to be writing.

I know that I should carve out time to write. I've been at this a long time and know that writing time isn't something that comes easily or without struggle. I have grandchildren, two of them. Both are lovely little girls.
 The oldest turned thirteen this birthday and the baby just jumped full force into the terrible two's.

They are one excuse I use not to write, but I'm not complaining. I love my little girls.

Another reason I find it hard to find time to write is television. There isn't anything on that I care to watch, and yet, there I sit surfing as if something worth my time will magically appear.

Then there's dinner to be fixed. My daughter, who had taken over cooking at our house for quite a few years suddenly enrolled in college. Now guess who has to make dinner. Well, the DH is always there to help, especially when I work late, but still I feel like the guy on tv who has to make the donuts.

Then there is the fact that my muse has been on vacation for quite a while now. I've tried everything to entice her back, but apparently she is off having a torrid affair with some hotty and just isn't interested in returning any time soon.

Another problem is I've not been able to connect with my CP in months. Oh, she's been willing, but there was always something keeping me from meeting with her. Like last Saturday, we should have been able to steal away for a couple hours to work, but I had to drive an hour out I 20 to pick up my husband who was at our son's house building a swing set for the afore mentioned terrible two's.

Now I confessed my short comings, maybe I can get some wrting done. I'm signing up for KOD's BIAW that's book in a week and RWA's Kiss of Death Mystery and Suspense Writers, for those who don't know. Writing it all down makes it look like this dry spell might have been somewhat my fault.

What about you? What's keeping you from putting words on the page?

14 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // September 22, 2012 at 9:26 PM  

    Scarlet, just as your day job gets in the way of writing, so does my tutoring and editing. BUT I have coerced someone into sprinting with me! I'm moving back into editing mode for myself, so I can submit!

  2. Patrice // September 22, 2012 at 10:04 PM  

    Usually it's when I feel like I'm on hold, with an editor, or something beyond my control. But right now I'm fighting back, and while i'm waiting to hear, I'm writing what makes me happiest, romantic comedy, and I'm so loving it that I'm excited again.

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM  

    I heard about those sprints! Let me know when y'all are sprinting and I'll try to join in!

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 22, 2012 at 10:42 PM  

    Patrice, writing what you love is the best way to get rolling again. Hope you continue to enjoy it!

  5. Beth Trissel // September 23, 2012 at 11:00 AM  

    Great post, Scarlet, and I totally understand the struggles.

  6. Mary Marvella // September 23, 2012 at 3:07 PM  

    Scarlet, you and I can sprint again!

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM  

    Beth, I'm sure you can, since you have lovely grandbabies as well. It is a challenge and you have your gardening as well. I don't know how you do it.

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 23, 2012 at 8:15 PM  

    MM, we need to set a certain time. We will talk.

  9. Josie // September 23, 2012 at 9:30 PM  

    Scarlet,
    Good points. There are so many distractions from writing. Mine isn't TV surfing as much as the internet. I try to be very aware of the time I spend on the computer, but sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day.

  10. Pamela Varnado // September 24, 2012 at 4:16 PM  

    Hi, Scarlet. I totally understand how life gets in the way with your writing. If I didn't have critique partners pushing me to keep writing, I might have quit before now. You'll find time to write. Just remind yourself how much it means to you.

  11. Mary Ricksen // September 24, 2012 at 7:29 PM  

    When do you have time for writing!

  12. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 24, 2012 at 8:47 PM  

    Josie, you are so right! The internet can be a major time suck. I haven't even started to consider how much time I spend online when I should be wrting.

  13. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 24, 2012 at 8:48 PM  

    Pam, I appreciate you encouragement. You can certainly understand because your plate has been running over for a while now. I look forward to seeing you when you get home.

  14. Scarlet Pumpernickel // September 24, 2012 at 8:50 PM  

    Mary, that is the question, when do I have time to write. Well, I could be writing instead of reading the Fuzzies, but that ain't gonna happen.