Hole in One - making it big!

Posted by Patrice Wilton | 7:52 AM | 8 comments »

Good morning,
On Sunday I had a hole in one and I'm not even a very good golfer. I hit a beautiful shot heading right for the pin and somehow it found it's way right into that little hole. This is one percent skill and 99% luck. Like in writing, you must have skill, a great story, perfect timing and maybe you'll get lucky.
I have come to believe  that if you pursue New York traditional publishing that it takes more than talent, because so many of us have been told time and again by NY editors that yes, we are talented. Yes, we've written a wonderful story, great characters, compelling plot, but they still turn it down.
Now, luckily for us, we don't have to wait anymore.
How very fortunate we are to be writers during this time of the epublishing phenomenum where everyday new ereaders, mini I-pads, and other devices are coming out, giving us an opportunity to reach that many new readers. Romance readers gobble up 4-5 books a week and they can have instant gratification now, instead of trekking to a book store, which of course, we all love.
I'm sure this wasn't our dream when we first started out, but it is certainly my dream now--to reach millions of readers around the world and know they are enjoying my book.
Kobo is now offering their authors 80% commission for the next few months to thank them for their success in WritingLife. We can make better money now per book than ever before and don't have to wait years to see it come out.
I feel like celebrating - don't you?

8 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // September 12, 2012 at 8:19 AM  

    Very upbeat post, Patrice. Thanks for the boost.

  2. Mary Marvella // September 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM  

    I agree! My goals have evolved and I am also Indie publishing ebooks. Last weekend an editor was courting me. Yes, me. If he wants my books, he will need to give me good reasons to let his publisher have one or more. GRIN!

  3. Pamela Varnado // September 12, 2012 at 6:02 PM  

    Patrice, you're so right. It's an exciting time to be a writer. Opportunities abound like never before. I'm excited just thinking about them!!

  4. Patrice Wilton // September 12, 2012 at 7:26 PM  

    Thank you girls, and Mary M, how exciting for you. You, go girl!
    It is exciting. I sold two Barnies in Austalia in the past couple of weeks. And England too. Who'd have thought?

  5. Autumn Jordon // September 12, 2012 at 8:15 PM  

    LOL, Once, I came within an ich of a hole in one. It's my proudest golfing moment. Like you, I'm not a golfer. Sometimes, I go with my DH to keep him company.Well, I did up until he became ill.

    I'm so thrilled to be a writer at this time in history.

  6. Patrice Wilton // September 12, 2012 at 10:13 PM  

    Good for you Autumn. And I wish all positive things for you and your husband.

  7. Mary Ricksen // September 13, 2012 at 1:46 PM  

    It makes you feel like a pro!!!

  8. Josie // September 13, 2012 at 3:39 PM  

    Hurray, Patrice! Thanks for your uplifting post. You are a wonderful success story and inspiration for all of us.