On writing a western character


Since I have just finished my first western romance, I thought it would be nice to explore how much fun I had with it and give some background information on how it came to be. SPEED, LUST, AND A SECOND CHANCE is about a rodeo star who is riding high on the top of his sport until he crashes his racing plane and damages his hand. I wanted to add this element of a wounded hero to this novel and this worked out perfectly.

The heroine is the plane designer. While the hero has mastered riding a bull, he has little experience with women, especially those from places like Boston and with a MIT background. The major question on everyone’s mind is the crash and if it was caused by the designer or the pilot. I set this to cause the conflict to climb.

Like it or not, to save her reputation and his, they have to join forces again to sort it out and enter another race. The crash has caused one major problem for the hero—he has nightmares of the crash every night. The only thing that stops his nightmares at night is sex before he goes to sleep.

This book is about building trust and learning to accept people who are different from you. As in any relationship there has to be compromises and in this story—a lot of compromises.

I was actually born in Texas and always wanted to write a western romance. If my readers like this one, I think I can add others. But even in these western romances I will always add my signature suspense angle.

A year ago I went to Arizona for a month. After seeing this land up close for a while, I knew I had to write this novel. The jump from bull riding to racing grand prix racing planes was fun. I enjoyed the research and hope it made for a twist that I don’t think has been tried before.

The novel is currently for sale of the Siren Publishing site where you can also see other work of mine. http://www.bookstrand.com/speed-lust-and-a-second-chance   I look forward to hearing how you like this twist on a western romance.



11 comments

  1. Pamela Varnado // February 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM  

    This sounds like a really good read, Beth. I love historicals and would love to write one, but the thought of research makes me shy away. How much research is involved in writing westerns compared to other historal periods?

  2. Mary Marvella // February 8, 2012 at 1:36 PM  

    I love a rodeo man! Your book sounds delicious! Might just have to mosey over and see how this story works out.

  3. Beth Gray // February 8, 2012 at 2:48 PM  

    Thanks Pamela and Mary,
    Writing a western compared to my normal contemporary required some work. I also did a lot of research on grand prix plane racing. I thought combining the two would be great.
    This is a unique twist that I hope everyone loves.

  4. Lorelei Confer // February 8, 2012 at 3:14 PM  

    Sounds like a great read. I love a good western!

  5. Autumn Jordon // February 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM  

    Congrats on your new release, Beth. I love westerns, historial or contemporary.

  6. Nightingale // February 8, 2012 at 4:52 PM  

    I'm so glad you could guest with the PFS today, Beth. That is one dynamic cover, and I really enjoyed your post.

  7. Mary Ricksen // February 8, 2012 at 7:05 PM  

    You got me Beth, I love Westerns!
    Nothing like a hot cowboy...

  8. Hildie McQueen // February 8, 2012 at 9:25 PM  

    Hello Beth, I think it's always fun to write a story that calls to you. It seems this book will make you proud. Great post!

  9. Beth Gray // February 9, 2012 at 5:56 AM  

    Thanks again everyone. I love to write and receive feedback. I also really appreciate the chance to blog here. It means a lot to me. My next novel coming out involves chasing after a hurricane. If you love dangerous settings and hot romances, you will love this one. THE WINDS OF LOVE is scheduled to be released on March 6th

  10. Judith Keim // February 9, 2012 at 7:59 AM  

    Hi, Beth! Your story sounds intriguing to say the least. I love the idea that the heroine designs planes. Did you have to do a lot of research about that?

  11. Josie // February 10, 2012 at 1:53 PM  

    Best wishes, Beth, on another successful book. The Western is always such a fun read.