Where The Four Winds Collide

Posted by Hildie McQueen | 11:49 PM | 9 comments »

Hey I've done something crazy. I have branched out of my paranormal realm to write a novel that came to me one day when I went on a long drive.  I drove all oner the great state of Georgia.

From the S. Carolina border, down to the Atlanta airport area, then north toward the mountains, I kept driving while listening the heroine, Adeline talk.  By the time I arrived back home almost nine hours later, I had an entire story that I knew had to be written.

Where the Four Winds Collide is about  a woman that runs away from an abusive fiancĂ© to end up in a brothel, a stage coach to the wild west and ultimately ending up married to a rancher after being mistaken for a mail order bride. Adeline Buckley, a young woman in the 1800s that is struggling to find her place and Jackson Pruitt, a man who must learn that although honor is a prized possession, fate can challenge it. Their saga will sweep you into a whirlwind of learning that trust sometimes comes only after you lose it all.

I am hopeful that her story finds a home at a publishing house soon, either way, it will be published because it's too good not to share.

Here is a short exempt.


“Oh,” she said and looked directly into his eyes.  “Well then sir, why am I here then?”
            “This is your home now Adeline,” Jackson told her watching her closely for a reaction. “We were married earlier this afternoon. You are my wife.”
            The color drained from her face and she froze, her spoon halfway to her mouth.  He feared she’d faint again so he jumped and went to her.  The action startled Adeline, she yelped leaning away from him, only to topple over.  Both she and the chair landed on their sides.
            When Jackson tried to help her up, she scrambled to her feet and moved away from his reach. 
            “Married?” The shock in her voice made him wonder if the woman was not mad. Surely she remembered signing the documents before the Judge?
            “Yes Adeline, the judge explained it all to you before you signed the papers back at the hotel.  Do you not remember?”
            “I…” her widened eyes met his and he fought the urge to reach out to reassure her. “I thought it was a dream.”

9 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // February 14, 2012 at 12:24 PM  

    Good afternoon, Hildie! I'm so glad you didn't ignore this story. It was meant to be.

  2. Autumn Jordon // February 14, 2012 at 12:30 PM  

    Congrats, Hilde on the new release.

  3. Judith Keim // February 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM  

    Sounds wonderful, Hildie! Sometimes the best stories come from riding in the car! Good luck with it!

  4. Mary Ricksen // February 14, 2012 at 3:08 PM  

    Great excerpt! Congratulations on the new release!

  5. Pamela Varnado // February 14, 2012 at 4:22 PM  

    Hi, Hildie. Congratulations on the story. I enjoyed reading the excerpt and am sure it'll find a home.

  6. Nightingale // February 14, 2012 at 5:53 PM  

    Hildie, that sounds like a utopian journey! Glad you got such a great story out of the miles.

  7. Hildie McQueen // February 14, 2012 at 8:30 PM  

    Thank you ladies, I hope that it does find a home soon. I really appreciate the good thoughts.

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 14, 2012 at 11:31 PM  

    With such a character driven story how long did it take to write and what length is it? This reminds me of MM and some of her stories, the character arrives, tell their story and refuses to leave until she puts it down on paper. Amazing.

  9. Josie // February 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM  

    Looks like you have a winner here, Hildie. Great excerpt and thanks for sharing.