A couple of weeks ago, I went to the symphony for a performance of Rachmaninoff’s Piano Concerto #3, in D minor, Op. 30, which is, possibly, my favorite piece of music.  This performance was part of RachFest, as the Houston Symphony has called the package, three performances over three weeks in January.  The moment I saw this on the web site, I was on the phone with the box office for tickets.  I used to be a season’s ticket holder at the symphony, but surrendered my seats a couple of years ago, so I was particularly excited about RachFest.  The package includes Piano Concertos #1, #2, #3 and #4.

The pianist performing is Krill Gerstein, a Russian-born pianist.  In 2010, he won the Gilmore Award, only the sixth musician to be so honored.

Sergei Rachmaninoff composed Piano Concerto #3 in 1909.  The Rach 3 is famous for its technical and musical demands on the artist and has a reputation for being one of the most technically challenging piano concertos.  Rachmaninoff composed the concerto in the peaceful setting of his family home, and first performed it himself on November 28, 1909.  Rachmaninoff was a Russian pianist and composer and was considered one of the finest pianists of his day.  He was born in April of 1873 and died in March of 1943.

In my as-yet unpublished Sinners’ Opera, the hero is a classical pianist, a British lord and a vampire.  In the book, he plays the Rach 3 with the Atlanta Symphony in a scene where he takes the heroine on stage while he plays.  It’s one of my favorite scenes.








11 comments

  1. Pamela Varnado // February 3, 2012 at 2:11 PM  

    Linda, I'm glad you enjoyed the symphony. I often attend the theatre. The show Memphis is playing in Atlanta. I'm hoping can go see it before it leaves. It was playing in NY during the RWA conference. Everyone who saw it said it was absolutely wonderful.

    I know who much you love Sinner's Opera and can't wait to see it in print.

  2. Josie // February 3, 2012 at 3:02 PM  

    Hurray for Rachmaninoff, Linda. Sounds like it was a wonderful concert.

  3. Patrice // February 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM  

    Sounds great, Linda. I'm going to Vienna in May and hope to take in the Opera House. Yeah - can't wait.

  4. Nightingale // February 3, 2012 at 3:41 PM  

    I used to have season's tickets to the symphony, but alas no longer. I still like to go when I can find a dynamite program like the RachFest.

  5. Beth Trissel // February 3, 2012 at 9:35 PM  

    Awesome, Linda. I remember that scene. Very kewl. so classy. Rachmaninoff is beautiful.

  6. Mary Marvella // February 3, 2012 at 10:26 PM  

    Me too, Linda! Love that man's music!

  7. Nightingale // February 3, 2012 at 11:58 PM  

    As much as I complain about Houston, I guess I'm lucky. Tonight I went to a piano recital at University of Houston. The pianist was Abbey Simon, and he's 90--and truly amazing.

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 4, 2012 at 12:24 AM  

    Linda I am so glad you have this opportunity to hear your favorite music preformed. Since we live in a small town we don't have a symphony, I envy your good fortune.

  9. Judith Keim // February 4, 2012 at 7:22 AM  

    Linda, I love the description of your new hero. What a great combination! My husband and I love classical music. Way back when we saw Pablo Casals and Artur Rubinstein play together in San Juan. Will never forget it!

  10. Autumn Jordon // February 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM  

    I love classical music and would love to attend a symphony. You're one luck lady.

  11. Mary Ricksen // February 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM  

    I have never been Linda!
    I know how much you love the piano. Glad you got the tickets! You have great taste in music...