Tomorrow we start our third month into 2012. How are those New Year’s resolutions working for you? Are you still motivated, or like me, have some of them fallen to the wayside? If so, no problem. Today is a new day filled with new possibilities. I don’t know who said that quote, but I try to remember it each day.

Staying focused is something we should strive to do on a daily basis. It’s not an automatic process. We have to work to develop it, but when doing so think baby steps.  Don’t sprint toward your goal. This often leads to burn out a few feet from the starting point.

  Let’s look at one of my forgotten resolutions.

  Resolution: Become an early riser so I am more productive during the day.

 I love to relax after everyone is tucked in bed for the night. It’s peaceful, and I don’t have to care for anyone. It’s my me time.

 How can I overcome this obstacle?

 1.     Identify what keeps me from achieving my resolution.
             The problem: I go to bed late and therefore struggle to get up early in the morning. And when I do rise early, I’m usually tired all day.

2.    Make a plan to overcome the obstacle.
           Begin by waking up fifteen minutes earlier each day. Of course, this means going to bed fifteen minutes earlier at night. Do this until you reach your optimum bedtime. Try to get in bed between nine and eleven each night.

I eliminated all distractions in the bedroom. I removed my television and exercise equipment.  Instead, before bed I now read, meditate, and take a long soothing bath.

I watch what I eat at night. Limit spicy foods. In fact, it’s a good idea to stop eating two to three hours before bed.

3.     Then work the plan.
After a few weeks of staying focused, I woke up early and was more productive during the day.

          Achieving my goals gave me a mental and physical boost, because when I’m see results I feel good about myself.

 Share your thoughts.

14 comments

  1. Judith Keim // February 29, 2012 at 12:31 PM  

    Good for you, Pam, to work on making a change in your life. For me, going to bed early is a pleasure. I'm busy all day and by 9, maybe 10 I'm ready to call it a day...

  2. Pamela Varnado // February 29, 2012 at 5:36 PM  

    Thanks, Judy. I'm always caring for the people around me, and I have to remind myself to take time for myself.

  3. Nightingale // February 29, 2012 at 5:47 PM  

    I didn't make any resolutions so I haven't let any go by the wayside, but this is good advice Pam in other facets of life.

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // February 29, 2012 at 9:23 PM  

    Pam, sounds like you've got a plan going for getting on track and staying there. I have to get early every morning to go to work. I usually try to get to bed by 11:30. Talking with MM on the computer often throws the monkey wrench into that plan. I don't remember what my resolutions were. So I guess I'm not achieving them. Got to get back into my writing, that's for sure.

  5. Mary Marvella // February 29, 2012 at 10:12 PM  

    I can't believe Scarlet is putting the blame on me. I was gonna put it on her!

    Time to take a step back and make some reasonable, reachable goals.

  6. Pamela Varnado // March 1, 2012 at 8:10 AM  

    Nightingale, I limited my resolutions to 2 this year. Any more and I knew I'd struggle to succeed.

  7. Pamela Varnado // March 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM  

    Scarlett, I believe you. Like me, Mary loves to talk. We once were on the phone for six hours.

  8. Pamela Varnado // March 1, 2012 at 8:12 AM  

    Yep, time to recharge.

  9. Autumn Jordon // March 1, 2012 at 9:44 AM  

    Great suggestions, Pam. I like making the change in little steps. It does make it easier.

    You motivated me to step it up and really chase 2012 my goals. Thanks for the reminder. WINK

  10. Mary Ricksen // March 1, 2012 at 3:21 PM  

    I so admire how you handle things Pam!

  11. Josie // March 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM  

    Good motivation for me. I tend to be a night owl, but still get up early. I'm burning the candle at too many ends.

  12. Beth Trissel // March 4, 2012 at 8:26 AM  

    High five to resolutions kept. And onward ho, try, try, again for those not. I am what the country folk call 'right mixy' when it comes to keeping mine.

  13. Mona Risk // March 4, 2012 at 9:37 AM  

    I haven't made any resolutions this year. Why?
    Last year I worked on my resolutions with tenacity. Bad, bad. The result was I hurt my health!

  14. Mary Marvella // March 7, 2012 at 12:48 AM  

    Pam and Scarlet, am I getting credit for keeping you ladies off track? Hmmmmmm?