Bridge of my Dreams

Posted by Hildie McQueen | 5:00 AM | 9 comments »

I had a recurring dream.  I am driving over water, on a long bridge.  The bridge has no sides and it's flat.  Suddenly everything goes dark.  I have to keep moving, not sure why, but I know that any minute I'm going to plunge into the darkness.


Well I suppose it comes as no surprise that I have a fear of bridges, Gephyrophobia, yep that's it.

What others see as a beautiful picture, makes me sweat.  I force people to drive out of their way to avoid bridges, no matter how low or high.


Although I sometimes don't have a strong reaction, there are times when I get dizzy, lose my breath and break out in sweat.

I think phobias are boring, limiting and should be banned from our lives!

In my effort to overcome mine, I've purposely driving over low bridges lately.  I plan to work my way up until I can do a high bridge.  Of course, it would suck if I accidentally repeat what I did once.  I closed my eyes!  Thankfully I had a passenger along that told me to open my eyes.  I wonder if I can find a brave volunteer to come along in my therapy?

Do you have a fear you wish you could overcome?  I hope not.

9 comments

  1. Judith Keim // February 28, 2012 at 12:26 PM  

    Hildie, I know someone who is afraid of bridges and it can be debilitating. I freak out when we are driving on a narrow, twisty road in the mountains and I'm on the passener side of the road where the drop off is. I have to close my eyes.

  2. Mary Marvella // February 28, 2012 at 1:29 PM  

    Hildie, I also have bridge dreams. I am driving over water and the bridge ends and I can't stop. Sometimes there is more bridge ahead and I try to keep up momentum and make it to land. so far I haven't downed.

    I do NOT like long or high bridges! There is one to Isle of Palms in SC,or NC, I think, and it makes me ill! At least it did. I don't close my eyes but i do sweat!

  3. Anonymous // February 28, 2012 at 1:51 PM  

    Hildie, I don't have a problem with bridges, but I do have reoccuring dreams. I have found theat they happen mostly when I take Allegra for my allergies.

    Melba

  4. Nightingale // February 28, 2012 at 4:15 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  5. Nightingale // February 28, 2012 at 4:16 PM  

    I'm terrified of roaches, but I have a friend who shares your fear. She slammed the car to the side of the road and had me drive into Savannah!

  6. Mary Ricksen // February 28, 2012 at 9:04 PM  

    Hildie, I made it! I dreamed of a bridge that kinda looks like the first picture when I was a kid. Years later I saw it was the bridge to the Keys. Looked just like in my dream and I had never seen it before.

  7. Autumn Jordon // February 28, 2012 at 10:36 PM  

    I know the feeling, Hildie. I don't like heights. Good for you for forcing yourself to face your fears.

  8. Pamela Varnado // February 29, 2012 at 8:28 AM  

    Heights don't usually bother me too much. And driving across a high bridge doesn't bother me. I once had the opportunity to climb a seven story fireman's ladder. It was scary but the feeling I got when I reached the top was priceless. I can't wait to reach new heights again!!

    It's all mental. Tell yourself that you can do it and you will. Seriously, this works. Just keep applying it and you'll see results.

  9. Josie // March 2, 2012 at 1:03 PM  

    Hi Hildie,
    Interesting post. I think we all have fears we're constantly trying to overcome. I didn't realize that there was a term for fear of bridges.