Sunday Smile

Posted by Autumn Jordon | 11:56 PM | , , , | 13 comments »

Lately, I’ve felt like a tiny dinghy riding the waves of a hurricane. One moment I’m on top with clear view of the shore and then two blinks later I’m facing four walls of obligations. Well the other day something helped.

I was sitting in a doctor’s office making a series of appointments for my dear husband. It was very busy, almost chaotic. The woman who was setting up his schedule (I’m going to refer to her as Tilly because I like the name and it fits her) was busy on the phone coordinating with another medical office when a patient came out from the examination rooms. Several had preceded her and each time Tilly had greeted them, with a smile, took their passport, and asked them to have a seat in the waiting room, and someone would call them in a few minutes. Since Tilly was busy, I turned and did as she’d done before. I greeted the woman, took her form, handed it to Tilly and asked the woman to have a seat and someone would be with her shortly.

In that moment, every clerical worker in the office day changed. They burst out laughing and while the atmosphere in the office had been clinically polite before, it lightened. Tilly offered me a job.

Sometimes offering a helping hand or a smile can make a difference in someone’s day and in your own.

That instant, Tilly’s smile, changed my day. Even now, recalling Tilly’s laughter makes me smile. Each light moment is worth its weight in gold.


So, have you shared a smile or laugh lately?

13 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // July 17, 2011 at 12:22 AM  

    Autumn, I can see you doing that! Making folks smile is one of my fav things to do, even when I make calls about CCs. Did you tell her you could use the part time job?

  2. Autumn Jordon // July 17, 2011 at 12:43 AM  

    LOL. I love talking to people and helping. You certainly made me smile several times while in NY. It was so great to meet you face to face.

    I'd love to work in their office. My daughter works for the network and loves it.

  3. Barbara Monajem // July 17, 2011 at 7:08 AM  

    Thanks for the smile, Autumn, and the lovely picture of you and your sweetie.

  4. Autumn Jordon // July 17, 2011 at 12:40 PM  

    Back at you, lady. Great meeting you in NY too.

  5. Nightingale // July 17, 2011 at 2:41 PM  

    A great story! It's those little moments that make our day.

  6. Autumn Jordon // July 17, 2011 at 3:01 PM  

    They certainly do. Happy Sunday!

  7. Beth Trissel // July 17, 2011 at 6:30 PM  

    Such a big truth in a tiny action. I enjoyed this.

  8. Autumn Jordon // July 17, 2011 at 8:14 PM  

    Thanks, Beth!

  9. Josie // July 17, 2011 at 10:30 PM  

    Autumn,
    You are a remarkable woman. Thanks for the uplifting post, and for sharing a picture of you and your dh.

  10. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 18, 2011 at 1:09 AM  

    Good job Autumn! A real take charge kind girl. They could use the help I'm sure. And it made your day as well as ours hearing about it.

  11. Mona Risk // July 18, 2011 at 7:36 AM  

    Autumn, I love your picture with DH. It's stange that you are talking about how a smile received can change a person's mood. For the last few days, I had my granddaughters. Their laughters made me smile all day long. When I took them with me to friends, every person in the room smiled at these two lovely little girls.

  12. Mary Ricksen // July 18, 2011 at 2:19 PM  

    Autumn you are hysterical! My kinda gal!
    We could have some fun together for sure.
    Smile and you open a door. Those who love smiles will greet you there!!
    You and your honey are just adorable!
    Don't tell him I said that. LOL!

  13. Judith Keim // July 20, 2011 at 10:49 AM  

    Autumn, cute story and I loved seeing your smiling face along with your husband's. I've been keeping your whole family in my thoughts and wishing you well. Yes, I love chatting with people and don't mind stepping in to help... Good job!