Are you a dog or cat person, or are you like me, both.
Every morning after I take my shower I meet the greeting group, my dog BoBo, my dog Nibby, and my cat Skinny. It's just a queen size bed so the sight of two 80 lb German Shepherds and a Calico cat between them on it, makes me smile each time I see it. There is a ritual we go through. I dress and sit between the dogs on the bed as the cat sits in my lap. I have to use both hands to pet the dogs while the elbow rubs on the cat. We all talk to each other. I say hello to them and they each have their own way to return the hello to me. Skinny meows, she is a real talker and very bossy. Always telling me what to do. Feed me, pet me, let me out, and let me in, amongst a few. My favorite is as she sits in front of the refrigerator and begs for ham. She loves it. And would you believe there are no cat or dog foods make from ham. Sorry skinny.
Nibby although the younger dog has a deeper voice then BoBo. She kinda moans and talks with a woo woo sound. BoBo on the other hand has a high pitched whine. Together they sing for my attention. All together that is. And I whine too. Crazy I know, but we are all part of a pack I figure. So we all sing together. My neighbors must think I'm nuts. Well guilty as charged. They shoulda seen me in the early seventies. Gosh I miss those days. My mind thank God, survived it all.
Nibby is slim and still learning how to behave. BoBo has it down pat. She knows if she does what we want she gets lots of treats and hugs. I hug and kiss my pets and they grow up loving it.They are the most affectionate animals you will ever see. Excerpt for your own I'm sure.
Next we go to the kitchen where Skinny eats her Fancy Feast and the dogs get morning biscuits cause they eat their main meal at night. After that it's a run in the yard. Skinny has disappeared in the hedges and she never leaves my yard thank God. She came to me from my brother in law who passed away. He saved her from the streets. Now she is the Queen. BoBo was his dog, but she stayed so much with us when he was sick, she feels at home here. The dogs fear that paw swipe thing Skinny has down pat.
You'd be surprised to see two huge dogs back aside for a sauntering cat to pass by.
BoBo and Nibby run so fast and so loud it reminds me of race horses as they thunder down the track.
We had to replace the grass again. Hope this stuff lasts a bit longer then the last. It cost enough so it better.

                                                                                                            Skinny who doesn't know she's a cat!

After all of that they greet my DH Chris. He doesn't get as much love and hugs as I do because he disciplines them. They love him, but they LOVE me! I'm mommy and I feed, them and give them their medicine, and comfort them when they hurt themselves, I stop the fights, and I am the holder of all dog and kitty treats. Lastly we watch Skinny as she rolls in her Catnip and gets very feisty. She puts on a show for us, chases the dogs and is the boss of them. Who wouldn't love to have pets that give you such unconditional love. They don't care if I don't look my best, they don't even notice. Haven't known that kinda love since my grandma died!
Then it's laptop time. With two dogs on my feet, (literally), and a cat that likes to walk on my keyboard, a cup of PGtips tea and I'm ready to write. Now if my Muse was only as easy as my pets I'd be on my way.
What do you and your pets do that makes your day with them special? Poor Chris, he doesn't know what he's missing.

17 comments

  1. Judith Keim // July 6, 2011 at 12:59 PM  

    Mary, I'm a real dog lover. Winston is our 4 year-old long-haired blond dachshund. Everybody loves him and he loves most everybody, greeting them and then lying down for a tummy rub. He's very affectionate to everyone but he's a bit of a mama's boy. He sleeps with my husband and me and each morning before it's time to get up he walks over to me and collapses into a spoon position, for his special good morning hugs.

  2. Melissa Alvarez // July 6, 2011 at 1:08 PM  

    Just call me Doctor D. I've got big dogs, little dogs and horses ranging from 2 lbs to 1600 lbs. They all inspire me. There's nothing like the unconditional love that an animal gives.

  3. Mary Ricksen // July 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM  

    Dogs are wonderful!

  4. Mary Ricksen // July 6, 2011 at 1:09 PM  

    People don't realize how affectionate horses are too!

  5. Pamela Varnado // July 6, 2011 at 1:56 PM  

    Definitely a dog lover. When I was a child I had a bad experience with a cat and never really trusted them after that. Both I do like playing with kittens. My bichon-poodle, Lily keeps me company. She seems to know when I'm having a bad day and comes up to nudge me with her nose or hop on my lap and snuggle. My husband and I have even bickered about who gets Lily attention.

  6. Maeve Greyson // July 6, 2011 at 2:18 PM  

    Your family sounds wonderful, Mary! Of course, you know all about Mr. Jasper and how he and green squeekie toy RULE at our house. Thanks for the heartwarming post, my friend. :-)

  7. Beth Trissel // July 6, 2011 at 2:33 PM  

    I'm like you, Mary, and love both. Have both. Four dogs--two large lab mix rescue farm dogs outside--and two inside dogs, one tiny pom-poo I paid a lot for and a funny rescue mix of indeterminate breed. And then there are the cats, two inside rescues of various ages and our latest tiny rescue kitten. And farm cats more or less tamed. Some live in the barn and two in the garden, garage, and my front stoop. They love the big climbing tree beside the kitchen and the fenced in back yard. I spy them stalking in the garden like little tigers. The strictly barn kitties have food but also catch mice. I love my animals, with me through thick and thin, and could never be without them. This winter when I was sick and my hubby out of town my animals were my constant companions.

  8. Patrice Wilton // July 6, 2011 at 3:43 PM  

    Hi Mary,
    I love dogs, but don't like cats purring around my legs. Kind of gives me the willies! Kittens are cute, if they could just stay small and cuddly, but a dog is a friend, a companion for life.

  9. Mona Risk // July 6, 2011 at 3:51 PM  

    Mary, you have a lovely and loving family. I had a big German shepherd years ago when my kids were small. He was such a fierce protector of the children he bit anyone who came close to them. We had to give him to the police when he turned two. After that we only had cats, a black and white Mitzy and later our adorable rusty Wendy who was the most pampered cat in the world. Again we had to give her away when we moved from OH to FL.

  10. Lilly Gayle // July 6, 2011 at 6:49 PM  

    So cute! Years ago, I was a cat person. I'd had dogs before, but they wer outdoor dogs. And the poor babies got seriously neglected in winter and became needy. Then I got a small dog. A house dog. And decided I love dogs. Then we got Cha Cha--the evil, Satanic Kitty from hell. And I decided cats can be, well...evil. So, I think what it boils down to is this. Cats and dogs are like people. You like some. You dislike others. And they all have unique personalities. But even the kitty from hell has his good points.

  11. Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author // July 6, 2011 at 7:27 PM  

    We have a rescue tabby, Jazzie Miles Davis. He is quite the character, and my husband pouts because Jazzie has more followers on Twitter than he does (@jazziemilesdavis). Jazzie is very vocal. When I carry in a cup or bowl of something from the kitchen, he jumps onto the back of the sofa and meows. He has to smell whatever I have...just to make sure it's good enough for mommy to have. In the evenings when Calvin plays his guitar, Jazzie perches next to the neck of the guitar. When Calvin stops playing, the cat paws the strings. We're waiting for him to play some soulful jazz...

  12. Hywela Lyn // July 6, 2011 at 7:50 PM  

    Hi Mary dear friend

    You know I'm an all animal lover! I guess horses always have been and always will be my favourites, apart from my two, I have my beloved little recued Jack Russell and two 'ferel' cats, also rescues, who do the 'mousework' where the horses are kept.

    Where would we be without our animals? As wise old Chief Seattle said 'If all the animals were gone, the Earth would die from a great lonelines of spirit.'

  13. Hywela Lyn // July 6, 2011 at 7:57 PM  

    PS - I just love the picture of Skinny with a howling dog's shadow. D'you think she was a dog in a previous life and still retains her old shadoq?

    That really is a amazing picture!

  14. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 6, 2011 at 10:40 PM  

    I'm both a dog and cat lover. We have both. Both understand nearly every word said to them. They just don't understand why we don't understand them. LOL

  15. P.L. Parker // July 7, 2011 at 9:19 AM  

    Hey Mary - I'm a dog lover but I do have two big male (kinda) cats, Sam and Flip. Sam was saved by my parents and I took him and Flip was my son's cat who needed a home. My little poodle is my baby. She is such a smart little girl. The boys have to mind what she tells them. Bossing the cats is her thing.

  16. Mary Marvella // July 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM  

    Mary R, I have always preferred dogs. My daughter has 3 now. Lovely post and great pictures!

  17. Josie // July 10, 2011 at 1:52 PM  

    Mary,
    I'm a cat lover, but my dh has asthma and is allergic to cats. So, our cat, named Jeff, is an outside cat. However, my 16 year old daughter is a dog lover. I like both!