“Mmmm, mmmm. Good!” That’s the first line of the Campbell’s Soup jingle…and it as the truth. While those plump, apple-cheeked pair calling themselves the Campbell’s Kids danced across the screen, I’d be slurping down my tomato soup and eating my peanut butter and honey sandwich.

“Mmmm, mmmm, Good!” My favorite might have been tomato soup but other soups held different memories. Take chicken and rice, for example. Whenever I came back from the dentist with a new filling, I was always served Campbell’s Chicken and Rice soup. Why? Because my dentist recommended it. “Give her something soft to eat tonight,” he’d always say. “Like chicken and rice soup.” So…when suppertime came, my mother would reach into the pantry and bring out that familiar red and white can… My father had a different memory of chicken and rice. That was what his mother always served when he or one of his siblings (of which there were five) were ill. Sore throats always demanded chicken and rice soup!

“That’s what Campbell’s Soups are…” Once there was just vegetable soup and then there was alphabet soup. We were always given vegetable soup. Now, there isn’t a difference. Alphabet soup always has alphabet pasta in it. Not being a beef-eater, I go for the vegetarian kind because apparently you can’t get vegetable soup with any meat in it except beef.

“Mmmm, mmmm, Good!” Below is my own recipe for vegetable soup (with or without beef). My granddaughter and I had some today, in my own Campbell’s Soup mugs. (NOTE: In either the 70’s or 80’s, there was some concern about the appearance of the Campbell’s Kids. Wanting to bolster a more healthy appearance for their young consumers, the couple.)

Grandma Toni’s Vegetable Soup

2 C garden peas

2 C whole kernel corn

1/5 fresh chopped onion

1 medium diced Irish potato

2 C diced tomatoes (for more spicy soup, use 1 can Ro-Tel Mild salsa tomatoes)

1 package stew beef (or one C chopped pork or pulled chicken)

2 C water

3 C vegetable juice

Seasonings: salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder to taste

NOTE: canned peas, corn, and tomatoes may be substituted for fresh vegetables)

Combine ingredients, season to taste, cook until vegetables are tender and meat is well-done. If using crock-pot or slow cooker, cook for 8 hours on “Slo” setting. Will make sight single servings.

12 comments

  1. Nightingale // July 22, 2011 at 12:46 PM  

    Sounds yummy! And the pictures are lovely. Pretty granddaughter, Toni.

  2. Mona Risk // July 22, 2011 at 2:19 PM  

    Cute pictues and good recipe. My kids used to love the alphabet soup although I didn't find it nourishing enough. I never eat canned soup unless it's clam chowder. i'd rather prepare my own chicken soup.

  3. Beth Trissel // July 22, 2011 at 5:39 PM  

    I love soup, Toni, and want to try your recipe. I well remember those Campbell Soup commercials and buy quite a lot of their soup. Tomato is my favorite too but I also like the chicken ones...

  4. Barbara Monajem // July 22, 2011 at 10:58 PM  

    I make all my soups from scratch, but I remember Campbell's soups from childhood. My favorites were mushroom and asparagus. Sometimes we would have chicken gumbo soup, and I would always wonder what a gumbo was! A plant? An animal? LOL.

  5. Mary Marvella // July 22, 2011 at 11:29 PM  

    Chicken noodle for me. Mama would add milk and less water to make it creamy.

    I have enjoyed my share of Campbell soup. Of course my family made the "left overs" soup, too. The kind that used stock and any left over meats and vegetables.

  6. Mary Marvella // July 22, 2011 at 11:30 PM  

    Oh, the EX wants me to give him my recipe for chili. His wife hasn't managed to get it right yet. (snicker)

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 23, 2011 at 1:59 AM  

    Isn't it delightful to pull out those cups from our childhood and have our grandchildren enjoy them? Such a cute granddaughter, takes after her grandmother I see.

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 23, 2011 at 2:01 AM  

    MM, don't you dare share that recipe with him!

  9. Judith Keim // July 23, 2011 at 8:33 AM  

    Good blog, Toni! I love the pictures. Are those your soup mugs? Just seeing them makes me realize how much food in our country has changed. But good, homestyle cooking will always be a favorite. Thanks for the recipe!

  10. Mary Ricksen // July 23, 2011 at 6:14 PM  

    Who doesn't remember that little jingle. I liked the vegetable beef. With six kid you were sure to miss the chicken in the chicken noodle soup. Just like the little kid in the
    commercial. I admit I use it occasionally and the mushroom soup makes a quick scalloped potatoes!Memory lane post Toni!

  11. Toni V.S. // July 24, 2011 at 6:57 PM  

    I use Cream of Chicken in my scalloped potatoes but I like to make spaghetti with cream of mushroom soup instead of spaghetti sauce. The soup tureen and mugs were a gift from my aunt. I say gift...she was going to throw them out and I intervened: "Don't you dare! I want them!"

  12. Josie // July 26, 2011 at 4:16 PM  

    I love soup, and read an article recently that Campbell's is not doing nearly as well as they used to in sales.

    Love the picture of your granddaughter, Toni.