My neighbor owns a blueberry farm. Great for me because I love, love, love blueberries. I can’t pick enough to satisfy my craving for them before the season, in our area, is over. The low bush blueberry flourishes in the forests of Maine, making Maine the largest producer of the fruit in the world. LOL, I might need to make a trip north.

A large portion of the calories in this food comes from sugars. One cup equals 84 calories. Yikes! I eat them like popcorn, so no wonder I’ve been fighting the scale.
The fruit does have awesome health benefits, however. Blueberries are very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and sodium. It is also a good source of dietary fiber, and a very good source of vitamin C, vitamin K and manganese. Blueberries are packed with antioxidant power, which comes from high levels of anthocyanins, a type of plant compound.

Also, Research has shown that blueberries have improved insulin sensitivity in overweight men and women, and lower blood pressure levels in pre-diabetic men and women without raising blood sugar. The key may be the anthocyanins, which have been shown in several laboratory-based animal and cell studies to cause blood vessels to relax and increase production of nitric oxide that helps in maintaining normal blood pressure.

Berries also have anti-inflammatory effects and may be a memory-protecting food. Good news for me, because some days I wonder where I left my head.

The resveratrol found in blueberries may help prevent macular degeneration, a disease of the retina and the leading cause of blindness in people older than 65, according to vision researchers. Like the cranberry, blueberries might help prevent bladder infections by preventing bacteria from attaching to the walls of the bladder.

Who knew this little blue fruit could do all this.

One of my favorite recipes is a blueberry custard pie. It is yummy, but remember, if you do try it, like any other fruit pie, it contains sugar and should be enjoyed with that in mind.

AJ’s Awesome Blueberry Custard

Preheat oven to 400°.

Make a pie crust for a deep dish 9 inch pie pan.

Mix together 1 cup sugar, 1 cup milk, 2 tablespoons of flour and 2 egg yolks (set whites aside).

Then add 2 1/2 cups of blueberries.

Beat 2 egg whites until stiff. Fold 1/3 of stiffen whites into mixture at a time. (DO NOT MIX- FOLD)
Pour slowly into unbaked pie crust and place in oven. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes then turn oven down to 375°. Bake until top is nice and brown and when you insert a knife it comes out clean.




Enjoy!

13 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 25, 2011 at 11:15 PM  

    I've gained a whole new respect for blueberries thanks to you helpful post! Next time I go to the market, I'm getting some to make you yummy sounding pie. Thanks for sharing.

  2. Mona Risk // July 26, 2011 at 12:39 AM  

    I love blueberries. Autumn, thanks for the medical research. I am baking this pie tomorrow!!

  3. Mary Marvella // July 26, 2011 at 1:20 AM  

    Great information! The pie looks like a winner.

  4. Barbara Monajem // July 26, 2011 at 7:44 AM  

    Oh, wow, this looks delicious. SO MANY BLUEBERRIES!! I love desserts that are mostly fruit. Thanks, Autumn!

  5. Beth Trissel // July 26, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

    I love blueberries too and know how healthy they are, but learned even more after your post. Your pie looks just wonderful.

  6. Autumn Jordon // July 26, 2011 at 11:26 AM  

    Thanks, ladies. I've heard some people who are diabetic say that blueberries have natural insulin, which is a misconception. While BB do help with the aid the insulin they still contain a good amount of sugar.

    If you know of anyone who is diabetic please pass on the info concerning sugar.

    Beth, that is a borrowed picture of a pie. Mind was gone before I thought about the blog. It did look very similar though. I am going to make another before the weekend. Yum!

  7. Mona Risk // July 26, 2011 at 12:47 PM  

    Autumn, I baked the pie. It was 'superb and delicious' according to my granddaughter. Thank you.

  8. Autumn Jordon // July 26, 2011 at 1:24 PM  

    Awesome! I'm glad you and your granddaughter are enjoying it. And it is really very easy too, right?

  9. Josie // July 26, 2011 at 4:11 PM  

    Autumn,
    Anything with blueberries gets my vote. They are so good for you, and also don't mold as quickly as the other berries.

  10. Pamela Varnado // July 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM  

    Autumn, you took me back in time. As a teenager growing up in New Jersey, I picked blueberries each summer for a local grower. I loved it and got paid every day. My mom made blueberry tarts. Delicious. Now I'm craving them.

  11. Autumn Jordon // July 26, 2011 at 7:55 PM  

    I didn't think of that, Josie. They don't. They keep for weeks. Good point!

  12. Autumn Jordon // July 26, 2011 at 7:56 PM  

    Oh, Pam, I'm so glad when I can bring back memories. How about sharing that recipe? I can never have too many BB recipes.

  13. Judith Keim // July 27, 2011 at 11:29 PM  

    I love blueberry pie and my husband's family has an old family recipe for what they call Blueberry Buckle. A blueberry cake with a butter and confectioners sugar drizzle that soaks into the cake. We never discuss calories while we're eating it!! LOL