This year RWA's national conference was held in New York City. I was sort of apprehensive about going to NYC, I'd never been there before. Plus, I'm a country girl, live in a small rural Georgia town and never go anywhere. Well almost never, if you don't count Austria, France, Italy, Spain and Germany. But, NYC? The Big Apple?




I was daunted by the idea and then my trusty critique partner, chimes in, Girl--come on--you know you want to! And I did, so off we went, Mary Marvella and Scarlet were set to paint the town red.





























We arrived early, flying in by way of Hartford, CT and spending a couple days in Ashley Falls, MA with our friend Nanci Race. Then we caught the trail down to NYC. I expected a fast train, streamline, sleek-nope not this trip. Our train ran several times daily from Grand Central to way out in the backside of nowhere and it literally stopped every five miles between there and the city. We arrived in NYC by way of Grand Central and it is a beautiful as it appears on the commercial where the guy ends up dancing alone because his phone service is slow.

Our first taste of the hassle of the big city came when a cabdriver refused to take us because we had too much luggage. See the picture, now I ask you, does that look like too much luggage for three adult women who are spending nine days in the city? We finally solved that by taking two taxis, but the rude taxi driver would come back to haunt us later.

We arrived at the hotel, were allowed to check in early and then met my daughter who had flown in early and waited for us at Junior's, which has the best cheesecake in NYC, by the way. That evening, we walked the streets of NYC. Awesome experience. We found the most excellent Chinese Restaurant call Jing on 9th Avenue and 47th street. We had dinner there several nights.

On Saturday we took in two plays on Broadway. The first was Momma Mia and we thought it was wonderful. The second was Phantom of the Opera which was even more spectacular than the first. When the play was over we joined MM at the Starbucks where she had been blogging and reading emails.

On Sunday we walked from Times Square to 90th Street and then came back through Central Park. Our little trek took the entire day on Sunday and was nearly fourteen miles round trip. Those of you who know me know I don't do walking. Well, forget that. We walked and walked and walked. Then went to eat at Jing. It became our favorite place to eat in NYC. First thing Monday morning we were all three up early and off to visit the coast guard all this and the conference hadn't even begun. Oh, I'll tell y'all about that next time, I promise.

16 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // July 14, 2011 at 9:00 AM  

    Man, I wish I'd been there. I'll bet you guys had a blast. I've got to start saving up and we can have a Fuzzy reunion! Love your pics. Not surprised about the NY cab driver. I've heard stories about them. :)

  2. Judith Keim // July 14, 2011 at 12:33 PM  

    Scarlet, It all sounds like such fun. I love seeing plays in New York, not that I've been able to do it often...But each time was a big treat. Such a fun location for RWA...Glad you had a great time!

  3. Mary Marvella // July 14, 2011 at 12:52 PM  

    We did have a great time!

  4. Josie // July 14, 2011 at 1:10 PM  

    Your trip to NY city sounded fabulous, and you took in lots of the same sites we visit when we go up there. We love the theater, and eating out, and, believe it or not, the walking.

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 14, 2011 at 2:23 PM  

    Beth,
    Yes it was a blast. You must join us for a Fuzzy reunion. The Cab driver was the same one who was in line as we check out. He got out and said, too much luggage it won't fit. The lady bellperson said "Oh yeah? Watch and proceeded to stack it all into his cab anyway. That really ticked him off. He took us to Grand Central and started to unload our luggage across the 6 lane street. The girls took a vote and elected me to address the situation. I got out and politely told him he couldn't leave us across the street because we wouldn't be able to cross with our luggage. He ignored me and continued to pile out bags. I put my hands on my hips assumed my school teacher voice and commanded him to put the bags back into the car and take us to the correct side of the street. Amazingly, when confronted by the school teacher persona, he did as told. Hey, I teach 8th graders, remember?

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 14, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

    Judy,
    My daughter and I decided that this just might be a once in a life time thing, so we sprang for the plays. I am so glad we did, such a wonderful memory. And you are right, the hotel was in the perfect location.

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 14, 2011 at 2:25 PM  

    MM,
    Remember what happens in NYC stays in NYC!

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 14, 2011 at 2:27 PM  

    Josie,
    Glad you like the pictures. I always take a ton of pictures. It helps me to remember the places and makes a good reference point when I use a location in a story. Win, win. If you don't want to be hassled with someone stopping to take pictures, then you'd best not travel with Scarlet and MM!

  9. Nightingale // July 14, 2011 at 5:36 PM  

    What a splendid trip you had! Good idea to get there early and see the city. I saw Phantom years ago and it was a breathless experience.

  10. Mary Ricksen // July 14, 2011 at 6:10 PM  

    New York City cab drivers. The bane of all New Yorkers and visitors!
    Sounds like you had a blast so far!!Wow Scarlet, you scared one!!!

  11. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 14, 2011 at 6:24 PM  

    Linda,
    I'm glad you saw Phantom. We chose it because it is the longest running play on Broadway. It was fabulous.

  12. Mary Marvella // July 14, 2011 at 8:45 PM  

    Scarlet can me intimidating! Her height helps.

  13. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 14, 2011 at 9:03 PM  

    Mary R, he probably went to catholic school and was afraid of the school teacher/nuns! Took him right back to his childhood.

  14. Scarlet Pumpernickel // July 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM  

    MM, yes but remember dynamite comes in small packages. You could have handled him. Except you were in the middle or the outside and would have been climbing out into traffic.

  15. Autumn Jordon // July 14, 2011 at 9:11 PM  

    I wish I'd made it to NY a few days earlier. It would've been great to take in the sights and meet up with all of you. You're right, Junior's cheesecake is AWESOME!

  16. Jacqueline Seewald // July 15, 2011 at 8:42 AM  

    Wish I could have gone too! Sigh.