The role of a writer is not to say what we all can say, but what we are unable to say. ~Anaïs Nin


Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia. ~E.L. Doctorow


A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket. ~Charles Peguy


If there's a book you really want to read, but it hasn't been written yet, then you must write it. ~Toni Morrison


The wastebasket is a writer's best friend. ~Isaac Bashevis Singer


And by the way, everything in life is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy to creativity is self-doubt. ~Sylvia Plath


Substitute "damn" every time you're inclined to write "very;" your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be. ~Mark Twain

6 comments

  1. Nightingale // November 19, 2010 at 9:37 AM  

    My personal favorite is Doctorow. I often feel I suffer from Schrizophrenia! After all, I hear voices in my head.

  2. Autumn Jordon // November 19, 2010 at 1:08 PM  

    I love them!! Especially Toni's. I really connected with that quote. Write the story you want to read. Awesome!

  3. Mary Ricksen // November 19, 2010 at 5:35 PM  

    Yes Autumn that one is the best!
    I love to read and I love to write, ain't life great!
    Despite the troubles in life, my escape is such a great thing. I love books and I feel like the guy in the Twilight Zone, if I broke my glasses I'd just die!

  4. Mary Marvella // November 19, 2010 at 8:30 PM  

    I'm with you, Linda! I have interesting conversations with my voices.

    Interesting quotes, girl! I write the stories I like to read and am told no one wants to read stories like that. I do.

  5. Judith Keim // November 20, 2010 at 10:19 AM  

    Love the quotes...It's so wonderful to be reminded of the process! I really needed it said with a little sense of humor, too!

  6. Josie // November 21, 2010 at 1:30 PM  

    Clever quotes! Loved the one from Mark Twain.