With the holidays looming in front of us and while we still have a few minutes to actually read and plan, I decided to post this blog/recipe which could save your sanity and help you continue to write right through the busiest sesaon.

Ingredients you will need:

Several Holidays stacked on top of each other.

One home or an apartment already in desperate need of cleaning will do.

Family members—The number depends on your lifestyle.

A ton of shopping.

Several hours of gift wrapping.


A day or two of baking and cooking.

Friends or social events. Some say this is optional. I do not. Add a bunch.

A dash of cleaning-up.

A ream of blank pages.

One Golden Heart contest or publishing deadline (personal goal can be substituted)
A calendar.

A dash of relaxation.

1) First, grab the calendar and slap it on your refrigerator.


2) Set the word count necessary to complete your deadline or goal and write it at the bottom of the calendar.

3) Cross off the holidays—these days are to be spent with your family and friends. No writing!
It’s okay, really. The only business you may conduct on those days is to interact with others and enjoy life. Think of the opportunity to people study.

4) Cross off the days you will need to shop, either for gifts or holiday groceries. The tonight before my shopping spree, I make a map or list of where I’m going and what I’m going to buy. No impulse buying. I hate shopping, so there is always a plan. I’m up early and out the door and when I return home hours later I’m dead, so writing is not on my to do list for that day.

5) Mark the next day to wrap all gifts. Do not wait. You can write in the morning, during breaks or after the last bow is placed neatly on the last package.

6) Cross off a day before the holiday for cooking and baking preparation. You
can slot in an hour of writing in the morning, but do not include the word count in goal grid.

7) X off a day before the holiday to do a run through cleaning of your home. Again you can slot in an hour of writing in the early a.m. but do not include this word count on your grid.

8) Mark the calendar with all social events.


9) Highlight two days. These are floater days. Save them for the unexpected chores that always seem to pop up. These days can move anywhere, anytime.

10) Now count all the days that are not crossed out. Divide your word count goal by that number. Then add 100 words. Why add 100 you ask? It’s a mind thing. Trust me.

11) Each unmarked day, sit butt in chair, set the timer and crank out the words.


12) Finally, resist the urge to add stress. It’s tempting I know, but adding the pressure will only cause defeat.

When attempting this recipe you must realize it takes organization and discipline but the end results are totally worth it.

20 comments

  1. Rita // November 15, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

    You are the hottest! So organized. When I do cook, I use a lot of wine. I drink at least two bottles before everyone gets here. *big smile* Or, I make my favorite thing-reservations!

  2. Autumn Jordon // November 15, 2010 at 12:44 PM  

    LOL. Rita. That too is a great plan. Love it!

  3. Barbara Monajem // November 15, 2010 at 3:32 PM  

    I cannot imagine being so organized! I am in awe of you, Autumn. :)

  4. Judith Keim // November 15, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

    Wow! I'm exhausted reading this recipe! LOL Seriously it does take a lot of planning to get through family holidays and it's best to be prepared...but wait! Thanksgiving is next week! Nooooo!I'm not ready!!

  5. Mona Risk // November 15, 2010 at 4:15 PM  

    Autumn, I need a recipe to kick myself into writing again. My mind has frozen. I have the scenes in my head and plenty of things to do. But I don't do a thing. I would need three months to follow your schedule at the rate I'm functioning.

  6. Autumn Jordon // November 15, 2010 at 4:32 PM  

    I know. I'm an organizer. What can I say, Barbara. SHRUG GRIN

    Judy, It's never too late to get ahead.

    And Mona, the dam just broke for me this morning after weeks of just tweaking and editing what I knew was good and wouldn't change. Actually, my characters hi-jacked me. LOL. It will happen for you too.

  7. Mary Ricksen // November 15, 2010 at 4:34 PM  

    Do you actually do all that?
    You are good. Me, thank goodness for mail order catalogues!

  8. KELLY FITZPATRICK // November 15, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

    My husband cooks Thanksgiving and Christmas eve dinner. I have the other 363 day a year. Seems fair.

  9. Autumn Jordon // November 15, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

    I try, Mary. I really do. I had four kids at home and worked OT. I had to be real organized.

    One of my mottos. No one knows what you didn't get done. Only what you did.

    Kelly, That sounds darn fair to me. You're a lucky woman. And I hear he shops too. WOW!

  10. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 15, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

    Great idea Autumn. I'm all time making list. My problem is that unless it is a grocery list, I never get it done. Oh, no the holidays are nearly upon us!

  11. Mary Marvella // November 15, 2010 at 10:15 PM  

    I do not organize. I wish I could. I do love the holidays, though. Once upon a time I did all the shopping and then the returning. I still do all the decorating since I'm single!

    I do like your suggestions, Autumn.

  12. Autumn Jordon // November 16, 2010 at 8:49 AM  

    Thanks, Scarlet.

    And, Mary, if you take one tidbit away from this post, it was worth it.

  13. Josie // November 16, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

    Autumn,
    You have such great organizational skills. Such a fun "recipe!"

  14. Nightingale // November 16, 2010 at 11:01 AM  

    You are so ORGANIZED! I'm going to try this recipe because the only place I'm organized is at work. Happy Holidays everyone.

  15. Toni V.S. // November 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

    Love the second ingredient on your list. No home is without that!

  16. Toni V.S. // November 16, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

    Love the second ingredient on your list. No home is without that!

  17. Beth Trissel // November 16, 2010 at 4:18 PM  

    Excellent suggestions Autumn and at a very timely season. I will give this a try.

  18. Autumn Jordon // November 16, 2010 at 9:32 PM  

    Thanks, Ladies. I'm pondering what I can accomplish myself until the end of the year. Some days the words flow and some days the muse shuts down the value.

  19. Mona Risk // November 17, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

    Your pictures made me hungry, Autumn!!
    go www.monarisk.com

  20. Autumn Jordon // November 17, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

    Me too, Mona. Just think next week at this time the house is going to smell so good with the pre-holiday baking and prep. Yum.