Magazines and television advertisements claim to have quick fixes to make women look better. Ha! Have you watched paid programming with models and actresses who claim we can buy products to make us look the way these woman look on camera? What about their makeup artists? Hmmm? Here are some ideas that don't make your wallets lighter.

1. Do you blow dry your hair? If you blow dry your hair when it's very wet it will look shinier than if you towel it dry first.

2. Ever use too much blush and feel like you look like a clown or very embarrassed? Mix moisturizer and foundation, then blend it on your face with a brush. Makeup sponges are great, too. They act like erasers on lipstick, or liner mistakes, or to tone down too much blush.

3. Back away from your mirror when you have a blemish. picking at it slows down healing. Keep your hands away from the blemish, too. The oil on your hands make things worse.

4. Have a pimple? A dab of clay mask can cut back on the oil and clean clogged pores. Try a drop of Murine or products for taking the red out of your eyes. Tones down the red of the pimple. Dot white toothpaste on zits at night or when you plan to stay at home. ON THE ZIT ONLY!

5. Sniff your favorite scent and see how much better you feel. If you shower or take a relaxing bath, limit the number of fragrances you use. Use relaxing scents like lavender or stimulating scents like grapefruit, but not both. Different scents for shampoo and body wash or bath will work against you.

6. Facial cleansing wipes can make cleansing your face easier when you're really tired or if you have no water. My daughter swears by the Walmart brand, Equate. She says the others make her face break out.

7. While we like to "glow" with youth, if you have oily skin, buy oil blotting tissues to keep in your purse. Blot gently and leave your makeup in tact.

8. Even artificial light can fade your hair color, so use products that protect or freshen your color. There are wonderful shampoos and conditioners that don't cost an arm and a leg.

9. Dip your hands up to your wrists in a bowl of warm water and massage your hands for 2 minutes. You will feel and look refreshed.

10. If you use anti-aging products, use them before bed because they make your skin more sensitive to sunlight.

15 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // June 13, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

    Mary, I love your health and beauty posts! What fabulous suggestions and advice. Super! Thanks.

  2. Beth Trissel // June 13, 2010 at 9:36 AM  

    Mary, I love your health and beauty posts! What fabulous suggestions and advice. Super! Thanks.

  3. Nightingale // June 13, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

    Advice taken. Mary knows her stuff about makeup and hair. She used to do makeovers for a photographer and has her own costmetics business.

  4. Judith Keim // June 13, 2010 at 12:31 PM  

    Thanks for posting all these hints...You do sell products, too, don't you? Let everyone know about it...

  5. Patrice // June 13, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

    Hi Mary,
    I feel more beautiful already! I use good products on my face and neck, and 50 plus sunscreen, but boy, living in Florida is drying for the skin.

  6. Mona Risk // June 13, 2010 at 1:58 PM  

    Mary, from now on I am adopting you as private consultant. Losing weight gave a couple of lines, well wrinkles, yuck, taht I hate with all my heart. Thanks for the great advice.

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 13, 2010 at 2:37 PM  

    MM has beautiful skin so I always look forward to her tips.

  8. Mary Ricksen // June 13, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

    I think I probably need the big boys to fix me up!
    I always wanted one of the shots a lot of authors use that make them look good. Better!
    But I don't have any good old pics to use. Ha!
    What about oily skin that is sometimes flaky? What really works on the lines at your eye corners?
    Very dry skin on legs and arms only. Lookin old! What can I do MM, save chopping my head off?

  9. Anonymous // June 13, 2010 at 8:47 PM  

    Thanks, Beth. I'm aiming for simple suggestions.

    Mary who is arguing with this site that doesn't like my password.

  10. Mary Marvella // June 13, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

    Thanks, Linda, I appreciate the plug and the confidence.

  11. Mary Marvella // June 13, 2010 at 8:51 PM  

    Hey, Judy! I have some fab new products I'm trying. I won't use products by any other company, not even those my friends "discover". My skin knows what it likes.

  12. Mary Marvella // June 13, 2010 at 8:56 PM  

    Hi, Autumn,

    Drink tons of water and carry around a spray bottle with water to mist your face. Some mists won't wreck foundation or sunscreen. Or you can mist your face, then put a dab of sunscreen or hydrating lotion on your hands and pat over barely damp skin.

  13. Mary Marvella // June 13, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

    Mona, two of the new products I'm trying are supposed to sculpt my face and tighten loose skin. I'll let you know if they work.

  14. Mary Marvella // June 13, 2010 at 9:02 PM  

    Mary, you need exfoliation products and a good scrub. I'll bring mine with me to National and I'll share.

    Cremes or creams might be too heavy for your skin. Hydrating lotions don't add oil to your skin or encourage it to produce more.

    We often need different products for our bodies, hands, and face.

  15. Mary Marvella // June 13, 2010 at 9:03 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.