Hi everyone,
First--a Happy Father's day to all the fathers. Hope you enjoy a wonderful day with your families.

I am reposting a blog about food, nutrition, and dieting:

My fifteen year old daughter has decided to go on a low-carb diet. I’ve done the research because, after all, she’s only fifteen. What I’ve found is that some doctors say low-carbs are good for you, such as Atkins and South Beach, and some doctors say low-carbs are not so good.
My daughter has become extremely health conscious, and spouts daily facts about how bad white bread is for you, how sweets are the enemy, and how one tablespoon of cod liver oil a day is good.

All this nutritional research prompted me to ask: What can writers do to eat healthier?
All of us juggle full or part-time day jobs, as well as home and family responsibilities. I work best at night, after my family is settled for the evening. This means, of course, that I get very little sleep---but I’ll save the topic of sleep-deprivation for another blog.
Writers sit in front of computers several hours each day pounding out our latest manuscript. The occasional chocolate bar (well, OK, not so occasional in my case), and caffeine-laden drinks help us to write longer and hopefully better.
And, here comes the guilt. Many of us get very little physical exercise---but I’ll save that topic for yet another blog.

Taking all this into account, are we as productive as we can be? Do we make optimal use of our very limited time and feel energized?

We all know what we should and should not be eating, how proper nutrition works, and who can’t visualize the infamous food pyramid?

New research shows that high-fiber foods such as vegetables, whole grains, and fresh fruits are beneficial. These foods are filling, and help you to feel satisfied longer.
Is a fat-free diet going to help us become, well, skinny? New research shows that some fats are good, and some are bad. Saturated and trans fats are bad, and olive oil, avocados, and nuts are good.
But what kind of nuts, and how many?
And what about salt and potassium?

A recent article on the internet stated to “skip the fads, and focus on diet and nutrition.” Wise advice for any diet or weight maintenance program.

Food for thought. If blogs are supposed to be informative, I’m afraid I’ve raised more questions than I’ve answered.
And dinner? Tonight my daughter is having salmon and a salad for dinner. She’s skipping the low-fat brownie, though, which means there will be more for me. 

Share your thoughts. Which healthy and no-so-healthy diets work best for you?

14 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // June 20, 2010 at 3:24 PM  

    Eating right is a whole lifestyle which is so hard to do. It's hard to eat the right way, especially when you came from a family with the last name, Mongiello, which is Italian and it means, 'they eat'. Imagine that!

  2. Pamela Varnado // June 20, 2010 at 4:06 PM  

    Over the past years I've tried everything from fad diets to prescription weight loss pills. None of them were sustainable over a long period - at least with me. Now I'm convinced that the only way to get healthy is the old fashion way, exercise and consume healthy calories. For most of my meals I eat a protein with lots of vegetables. I do try to stay away from white bread. Fruits are my snacks. But I don't deprive myself of anything. If I want a piece of chocolate, I eat it. But I've learned not to keep a lot of junk in my house. The biggest dietary change I’ve made is to stop drinking Pepsi. The key is to start with small changes and then build on them.

  3. Autumn Jordon // June 20, 2010 at 9:41 PM  

    Joanne, I've never followed fad diets. Once an old-school doctor told me the best diet is one where you eat senisble and a bit of everything. Meaning it's okay to have the fat just not a ton of fat. It's okay to have the potato, just an large potato with sour cream, cheese, etc. It's okay to have the steak, just not a pound and a half steak. And drink water and increase the steps you take each day. That is the rule I try to follow.

  4. Mary Marvella // June 20, 2010 at 9:47 PM  

    Evenin', Joanne. I tried my share of fads, but I finally lost weight when I wasn't looking. I gave up my membership in the clean plate club. Yep, I stopped eating 'til I hurt and lost weight. I also made myself move a lot more. Wiggling whenever I stood, dancing around.
    Then I started working to lose more weight and put some back on.

    Good blog, girl!

  5. Josie // June 20, 2010 at 9:56 PM  

    Hi Mary,
    I also come from an Italian family, and my dh is Italian. I can't stick with a low-carb diet because I love pasta.

  6. Josie // June 20, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

    Pam,
    That's one of the reasons I love Weight Watchers. It's healthy, sensible eating. I try to stay away from white bread now, thanks to my health-conscious daughter.

  7. Josie // June 20, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

    Autumn,
    Your old-school doctor knew what he was talking about. Moderation is the key--plus drinking lots of water.

  8. Josie // June 20, 2010 at 10:01 PM  

    Evenin' to you, too, Mary. I've never heard the phrase "clean plate" club, but it's very clever. A friend of mine always used to say (before she popped another chocolate into her mouth) "If you want to stay fat, you've got to eat." :)

  9. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 20, 2010 at 10:50 PM  

    Daughter and I have been dieting for about 2 weeks. We are doing a modified low carb diet. We get whole grain breads, brown rice that sort of stuff. So far, I've dropped about 10 lbs which isn't bad considering I don't really feel hundry.

  10. Mona Risk // June 21, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

    Scarlet, congratulations on losing weight.

    This week I am hosting 5 highschool friends. A fun week for everyone, a bit exhausting for the hostess who aplogize for not showing on blogs and emails. One of my friends is anorexic. It scares the hell out of me. Making her eat at every meal is almost a fight. She's terrified of adding a pound but her bones are protruding from her shoulders and hips. She is tired all the times and doesn't want to do anything. I pray that this week goes without problems.

  11. Josie // June 21, 2010 at 9:17 AM  

    Scarlet,
    Congratulations on your weight loss. Your low-carb diet sounds sensible. I wish my daughter would eat more whole grain foods.

  12. Josie // June 21, 2010 at 9:19 AM  

    Mona,
    Sounds like you'll have a very busy but fun week. Anorexia is a scary and serious disease. Hope you'll be able to enlighten and motivate your friend to eat healthier.

  13. Judith Keim // June 21, 2010 at 12:02 PM  

    Good post, Joanne. I'm like MM and have resigned from the clean plate club but I love to good food. My DH and all my family are foodies. So we try to balance out and keep portions small - good but small.
    Mona, Anorexia is a sad thing. I hope your friend is getting the psychiatric help she needs.

  14. Josie // June 22, 2010 at 9:08 AM  

    Judy,
    I love good food, too. You're right--we should think more "quality" instead of "quantity." It makes me think of the movie a few years back entitled "Supersize Me."