I did something I thought I would never do.

I sold an erotic romance. Yes, modest me!

And it’s released today at www.thewilderroses.com


It’s not that I don’t read these kinds of stories, because I do, and love them. It’s just that the inner editor in me, who sometimes worries about what other people think, bashed me over the head with self-doubt every time I wrote a lovemaking scene.

Usually I can ignore it. My natural tendency is to write sensuous encounters between my hero and heroine, anyway. They don’t stop at a kiss or close the door on intimate matters. They ride the rollercoaster to the top--and linger there--exploring soft skin and hard pecs.

In AFTER GLOW, my paranormal romance, I challenged myself to ride a wilder, crazier rollercoaster. While the story’s theme centered on a highly emotional love story, the sexual element played a major part in the plot. I found the writing process liberating. And the result is a story that pleases me immensely.


Check out the excerpt below.
     Come to me, she commanded. I’m the woman you’ve been waiting for, searching for.
     She could feel his puzzlement, could sense his attempt to block her intrusion, yet all his efforts ended ineffectually.
     Who are you? he asked.
     I am Lola. She kept her voice soft, intimate. Now, come to me. Be with me. Let me love you.
     Immediately his mind closed off. A wall slammed up to hide his thoughts, but not before she read his confusion—he thought he was dreaming that someone was speaking to him telepathically.
     This is no dream. You can hear me in your mind.
     How is this possible?
     Anything is possible between lovers. Lola pushed through his layers of confusion and sent him an intriguing, erotic image. In it, she lay back on her bed, exploring her human form with her hands. She teased her sensitive nipples. Her fingertips kneaded her breasts and glided down her body to the swollen flesh between her legs.
     She felt his hunger grow for her. She was the only thing in the world he wanted right now.
     Anticipation swept through her, turbulent and unfamiliar. The prospect of his approach created a buzz inside her. She pressed a hand against her pelvis as the spot between her legs ignited with hot need. Her breasts throbbed. An unfamiliar dampness soaked her panties. Minutes passed. Only the beat of a bongo drum broke the silence.
     Until...the door clicked opened and The One entered.
     “Hello,” the human male said from behind her. He stepped so close waves of heat from his body prickled the hairs on her arm. When she would have turned to see what he looked like, he wrapped his arms around her, keeping her in front of him. His husky timbre was hard and smooth at the same time. Comforting, like the Marisian ocean currents flowing over volcanic, pebbled beaches. The sensation shot straight to her core, like a heated caress.
     “Are you the woman in my mind?” he asked.

By now you’re probably wondering about the lost of my virginity. We all know the literal meaning of the word. I decided to take a figurative approach. I gave up my inhibitions and allowed my true spirit to roam free.

What compels you to let go?

With much love,

Pamela Vee
(aka: Pamela Varnado)

39 comments

  1. Catherine Bybee // June 4, 2010 at 12:05 AM  

    Good for you! Unlike what he may have said... "this won't hurt."
    Congrats and love the excerpt!

  2. Barbara Monajem // June 4, 2010 at 12:14 AM  

    Go, Pam!! That's a cool (hot!) excerpt, and I'm looking forward to reading the whole thing.

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 4, 2010 at 12:50 AM  

    Congrats Pam! Fantastic, outstanding and just plain great! Way to go girl. Wow that excerpt is hot! I'm going to go download my copy right now.

  4. Mary Marvella // June 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM  

    AWESOME, PAM! By the way, it's good. I read it. My friend writes HOT!

  5. Mary Marvella // June 4, 2010 at 1:00 AM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 4, 2010 at 1:25 AM  

    I've got my copy! The cover is so hot! Can't wait to read this story again. Congratulations Pam!

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 4, 2010 at 1:29 AM  

    ATTENTION ALL PINK FUZZIES!!!!
    THE PARTY FOR THE RELEASE OF AFTER GLOW STARTS HERE AND NOW.

    THE BUBBLY IS OPEN AND FLOWING
    CHOCOLATE AND STRAWBERRIES ARE BEING SERVED! ENJOY

  8. Mary Marvella // June 4, 2010 at 2:46 AM  

    We need to wake everyone up! Noise makers!

  9. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 6:14 AM  

    Catherine,
    Glad you love the excerpt. It was hard trying to find something that would tease and still be PG-13.

  10. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 6:18 AM  

    Barbara,
    Hope you like the story. Writing it was challenging, but liberating at the same time.

  11. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 6:23 AM  

    Scarlett and Mary,
    Thanks for being on my cheering squad. I can lose with you two on my side? I cherish our friendship and have a special place in my heart for both of you. You're always there when I need you. Hold on to your dreams.

    With much love,

  12. Judith Keim // June 4, 2010 at 8:26 AM  

    Great post, Pam! When I first started writing romantic women's fiction years ago, I had to get over the feeling of wondering what my mother would say if she ever read it! I laugh now, because she wouldn't have blinked an eye---after she took a deep gulp! LOL Congratulations on your book. Sounds great!

  13. Autumn Jordon // June 4, 2010 at 8:39 AM  

    After reading that hot except, I need some cool bubbly. Wow! Wow! Wow! Congrats on the release, Pam. (Toasting you)

  14. Sally Kilpatrick // June 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

    Awesome, Pam! I'm excited for you, and I will have to wander over to TWRP and buy a copy!

  15. Tamara LeBlanc // June 4, 2010 at 10:24 AM  

    So miss prim Pamela Vee, I read your excerpt and just bought your book and bashful isn't a good description of you.
    You're HOT!!
    In person, and in writing!!!
    I'm so proud of you, so happy for you and very envious.
    You can't imagine how much I adore you and our other critique partner hens.
    Have a fabulous day and just drink in those sales!
    T

  16. Nightingale // June 4, 2010 at 11:35 AM  

    Bought it. Reading it now. Great going, Pam. I love the premise and I love your writing. Congratulations!

  17. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 12:19 PM  

    Cyrano,
    You're so kind. I adore you also. And our critique group is the BOMB. We work well together and compliment each other's weak points. You bring a youthfulness to the group that keeps us young.

  18. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

    Sally, I'm excited you visited the PFSWs. I hope you like the story. Paranormal has always been my first love.

  19. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 12:26 PM  

    Judy,
    Letting our mom's know that we write romance can sometimes be difficult. Fortunately my mother is more comfortable discussing sex than I am. Wonder how that happened?

  20. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 12:33 PM  

    Linda,
    This premise worked well for an erotic romance. The characters and plotting came easily. I hope you like it. Your story was awesome and inspired me to submit to TWRP.

  21. Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn // June 4, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

    Ah, we are kindred spirits in writing. Congrats, Pam. This excerpt is quite the teaser, as I'm sure you intended. Good job!

  22. Sutton Fox // June 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM  

    Congrats, Pam!! Very happy for you. After reading the blurb, I had to go get my very own copy. Thanks so much for letting me know. Paranormals are my favs to read. Can't wait to read the entire thing. Enjoy your day!

  23. Mary Ricksen // June 4, 2010 at 1:21 PM  

    Wow Pam, whew, Mary wipes the sweat from her brow and utters, hot stuff, very enticing. I can't wait to read this one. Who is she?? Is she human. That excerpt got me going, I need to know now. That my friend is good promotion and I hope it turns into mega sales for you. Cause Pam you're the best and this excerpt does rock!

  24. Mary Ricksen // June 4, 2010 at 1:26 PM  

    Hey pass the bubbly, spread those appetizers around. Pam is dancing, let's join her. What do you want to dance to Pam? Oh and I have brought Gerard Butler for you to dance with today. Pam this is Gerard. Gerard takes Pam's dainty hand in his and asks to dance. How Cool!!!

  25. Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn // June 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

    Just bought and read the whole story. Very nice, Pamela. Good read. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    I predict many more sales for you. Keep writing. :)

  26. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 3:39 PM  

    Carol, I'm glad you like the story. You've calmed my nerves, a little, because though I'm excited about it's release, I'm nervous about how it will be accepted.

  27. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 3:42 PM  

    Autumn, sharing a glass of bubbly is what I'm planning on doing tonight to celebrate. My husband can't have any because of his meds, but Sprite is a good substitute. Yahoo!

  28. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 3:47 PM  

    Sutton, I believe there is no such thing as a bad paranormal story. The world building in them always takes me to a magical place. And some of my best fantasies involve dark, brooding vampires.

  29. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 3:55 PM  

    Mary R., hold on a moment, I need to go sit by an air vent. Just thinking of Gerard Butler sends a flush down my body. And even better, we're dancing. My head is on his shoulder, and he smells wonderful.

  30. Scarlet Pumpernickel // June 4, 2010 at 6:25 PM  

    Pam enjoy the party, it's in your honor after all. Gosh, Gerard Butler, who knew the man could dance so well? Just watch those muscles and his smile is enough to make your knees weak. Pass the chilled bubbly, Pammy is heating the place up with her dance!

  31. Mary Marvella // June 4, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

    Pam, I had no idea you could dance so well.

  32. Anonymous // June 4, 2010 at 9:04 PM  

    Great blog, Pamela.

    I guess by your definition I'm still a virgin. Sometimes it's hard to let my inhibitions go, especially in love scenes.

    Connie Gillam

  33. Beth Trissel // June 4, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

    Very happy for you Pam! Wooo hooooo! Happy release day!

  34. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

    Connie,
    I've read tons of erotic stories about virgins, so I decided to tie that concept into my post. Hope it worked.

  35. Pamela Varnado // June 4, 2010 at 9:45 PM  

    Beth, I haven't been able to enjoy the release of my story yet. I'm anxious to learn what everyone thinks about it. Maybe in a few days I’ll jump up and down. The whole process was exciting. Even the edits.

  36. Mona Risk // June 5, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

    Congratulations Pam. A toast for you. Sorry I am late for the pary. Some hot excerpt here. To your success.

  37. Pamela Varnado // June 6, 2010 at 11:59 AM  

    Thanks, Mona. And didn't you know it was fashionable to be late to the party?

  38. Josie // June 6, 2010 at 9:43 PM  

    Hooray for you, Pam. Sincere congrats and Happy Release day!

  39. Your Wonderful Daughter.....X-Tina // June 10, 2010 at 12:11 AM  

    I am soooooooooooo proud of you Momma! I know that you will suceed in all that you do! Your the Best!!

    Love~ Tina