RWA's National Conference was the bomb this year! Scarlet visited the White House and ate a gourmet lunch at the National Mall. The real highlight of the conference for me was KOD"S pre-conference tour. We spent the day with the FBI and got to shoot Glocks, Shotguns, Tommyguns, and HKMP5's! Imagine, Scarlet with a machine gun! The workshops with the FBI were awesome, we learned about all the different types of cases they are involved in. On Tuesday we visited the State Department and the United States Postal Inspectors, both presentations were top-notch and vastly informative. On Wednesday we spent the day with the CIA. Really, the CIA! We had lunch in the CIA cafeteria at Langley, where we had six "Officers" (they don't like to be called agents) sit with us and answer questions! We also learned how to tell whether or not the movie rendition of the great seal in the floor of the CIA headquaters was correct! Most aren't, I'm going to hold on to that little tidbit and use it in my next novel! So many ideas! You should have been there. Of course there was more time for great food as MM and Scarlet enjoyed outdoor dining down the street from the Marriott and just across from the Omni. The Proper Conference was great, but I'll leave it to MM to enlighten you, I was just too excited about the Pre-Conference tours.




13 comments

  1. Edie Ramer // August 1, 2009 at 8:29 AM  

    Great pictures! I can tell you enjoyed yourself.

  2. Toni V.S. // August 1, 2009 at 11:30 AM  

    MM, you look positively grim in that first picture--and how could you, with so much delicious food set before you? That lady certainly isn't the bouncy little person we know and love! Was it too early in the morning? (Just kidding--I know you were attempting to be serious.) I've visited DC three times, in 1945, 1958, and 1986, went to the same places each time. It interesting--and a little sad--to see how they had changed. Wish I could've been there with you this time, too. Great pixs!

  3. Judith Keim // August 1, 2009 at 12:17 PM  

    The pictures show you had a great time. I've heard from everyone how really wonderful the KOD tours were and how successful the meetings were this year. Glad you had the opportunity to go.

  4. Mary Ricksen // August 1, 2009 at 2:09 PM  

    I really enjoy the pictures, it gives me a taste of what it was like.
    And makes me wish I'd been there!
    Maybe next time!

  5. Pamela Varnado // August 1, 2009 at 5:42 PM  

    Scarlett,
    I'm glad you had so much fun on the KOD tours. When you spoke to me about how excited you were, it was like watching a child pick cand from a candy jar. Love the pics and Mary look devine.

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // August 1, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

    Guys,glad you like the pictures! Pam, you are right! I was excited, wasn't I? And I still get excited when I talk about it. The tours were fantastic! And Ann Tripp andI enjoyed walking around downtown Washington seeing all the historic sites and evening stopping to eat dinner at a hotdog stand on the national mall. Seeing the Lincoln Memorial was a moving experience, as was the Vietnam Memorial and the WWII Memorial. Toni, MM was trying to look like a serious writer out for dinner, I had just taken one of her with her usual wide smile and twinkling eyes! All in all it was a wonderful trip and a great way to wind up my summer vacation. Back to the old grind next week. Yuck!

  7. Beth Trissel // August 1, 2009 at 11:27 PM  

    Wow. I really missed out.

  8. Dayana // August 2, 2009 at 8:24 AM  

    Great post! Wish I were there. Would love to hold a Glock in my hands and do some target practice:) Wow! Get to hang out with the FBI(tell me was Booth there?) and the CIA. Excellent day! I am jealous:)

    Dayana~

  9. Nightingale // August 2, 2009 at 12:04 PM  

    OOOH, I wish I'd been there!

  10. Mary Marvella // August 2, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

    Toni, I had food in between my teeth and couldn't smile without showing it. I don't do serious well!

    Scarlet and I had a blast, literally for Scarlet. Pam luvs me and always says nice things about me! Luv her, too!

  11. Mary Marvella // August 2, 2009 at 6:30 PM  

    Good post, Scarlet!

  12. Josie // August 3, 2009 at 6:08 PM  

    How fun! I'm sorry that I missed the RWA conference this year. Washington is such a wonderful place.

  13. Autumn Jordon // August 4, 2009 at 8:46 PM  

    I missed out by not going on the KOD tour. I would've love the shooting range and the FBI. My friend, Jan, went and she loved it.
    I wonder what KOD will come up with since Nationals will be in Nashville.

    Great pics.

    www.autumnjordon.com