As I drove from Suwanee to Macon on the way to my first class reunion in many years, I wondered I could really expect. Would anyone remember me? I was a bit of a nerd when we still called ourselves squares and basically loners. (HINT: I graduated in 1961, shortly after the Russians sent a dog in space in Sputnik and before the US sent men to the moon. There were kids who were athletes, cheerleaders, and other VIPs. I tended to be in none of those groups.

I haven't made it to many of my high school class reunions. For some I was out of the state and for others I was working with my "ex", photographing weddings.

A couple of weeks ago I headed down to Macon, Georgia from Atlanta for my first high school reunion in probably ten years. It was time to reconnect with my old classmates from 1961. Friday evening we met at the old Capital Theatre in downtown Macon.

I need not have worried. I'm no longer shy but I was glad I had reconnected with
a few of my older classmates on Classmates.com.

The hot sultry weather was no big surprise usher in August.

FYI. Our public high schools in Macon weren't co-ed until years after I graduated. Macon
held out long after all other school systems in the South.

We laughed and had fun waiting in line, even in the sweltering heat. It had rained earlier, turning the heat muggy - good for skin, bad for some hair styles.

In a crush people I managed to find some of my old classmates, eating Fincher's Barbeque and Nu-Way hot dogs, with slaw, chips, and all the fixin's for both. As an aside, I'd packed Alka Seltzer and other antacids. I actually didn't need them, though I ate my share of the spicy foods.













See, I wasn't kidding. Fincher's Drive-in was a popular hangout for teens and college students.The place is an institution in Macon and has served the best barbecue and Brunswick stew in the world. Families enjoyed an occasional trip to there to eat in or for takeout.

For a trip down Memory Lane some of us loaded in a "bus" and revisited Fincher's and our youth. This bus in no way resembles the yellow Blue Bird buses we used back in those years. Tthough I didn't make bus trips to ballgames with the cheerleaders and the football players, I had memories of chorus trips and singing and laughing with the girls.

The girls in the back of the bus.
The girls in the back of the bus

DSCF1220


Some of us met Saturday for lunch.
Some of us met Saturday for lunch.

DSCF1263

And then we partied Saturday night!

DSCF1267

And we visited and caught up.


DSCF1269DSCF1275DSCF1278


I have more photos in my Facebook albums.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/album.php?aid=141315&id=557030288

17 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // August 15, 2009 at 9:27 AM  

    Awwwwww. Now I'm awash in sentimentality. Great pics too.

  2. Toni V.S. // August 15, 2009 at 12:59 PM  

    Mary, I wish I could've been there! No one believes me when I tell them I went to an all-girl high school but we know, don't we? Wasn't McEvoy only one of two in the entire nation at that time? Oooh, Fincher's barbeque and Brunswick stew! I'm drooling just thinking about it. Why didn't you sneak some and send it to me? Nebraskans don't know how to make barbecue without plenty of smoke and chili powder. And don't forget the Nu-Way! They made the best hotdogs and hamburgers ever!

  3. Mona Risk // August 15, 2009 at 2:24 PM  

    Great pictures Mary. But lemmy whisper in your ear. You look far too young to be with that crowd. I love to hear about class reunions.

  4. Mary Ricksen // August 15, 2009 at 3:00 PM  

    How cool! I have never been to a reunion. I went to two different high schools and spent my senior year in Canada. Where they graduate at grade 13. So I never graduated just got a certificate saying I had completed the equivalent of American High school requirements. Sadly though, I miss some of those people and will never see them again. I never got any notices about reunions from either high school. Darn.

    But you do make them look old MM.

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // August 15, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

    Wow Mary! You pictures and description make me wish I'd gotten up nerve enough to go to my reunion back in 2007! Glad you had a good time.

    Made it home finally, and yes, the cakes are beautiful! Will post picture of the Diva party maybe!

    Scarlet

  6. Pamela Varnado // August 15, 2009 at 8:08 PM  

    Mary, I'm glad to had to chance to reconnect with your friends. Times change but good friends are there forever. You made me wish I had attended my reunion. Kudos!

  7. Dayana // August 16, 2009 at 12:28 AM  

    That must have been a wonderfully nostalgic weekend for you. Thank you for sharing it, Mary.

    Great pics and yummy looking food. Glad you had such a great time. You deserve it.

    I've never gone to any of my HS reunions. No reason. Just never wanted to go back.


    Dayana~

  8. Mary Marvella // August 16, 2009 at 1:00 AM  

    Ladies, thanks for your comments! I was gone all day today. I attended my GRE meeting and saw Scarlet and Pam. I always feel good when they stop here.

  9. Mary Marvella // August 16, 2009 at 1:01 AM  

    Toni, I told the ones I liked that you said hello. The others, I didn't. They know you have sold books, 'cause I told those who weren't on Classmates.com.

  10. Mary Marvella // August 16, 2009 at 1:02 AM  

    Beth, the weekend made me feel sentimental.

  11. Mary Marvella // August 16, 2009 at 1:05 AM  

    Ladies, I almost didn't attend this reunion. I felt I was invisible when i was in school. I learned some people remembered me for things I did and said in classes. You never know who was watching you. I now wish I attended more reunions! Some of the people I would have enjoyed seeing have passed away and others couldn't make the trip.

  12. Mary Marvella // August 16, 2009 at 1:08 AM  

    Dayana, maybe it isn't time yet.

    I'm single now and had more fun than I would have with the husband along. I did things with the girls and laughed with the guys.

    For me it was time to reconnect.

  13. Barbara Monajem // August 16, 2009 at 4:31 AM  

    I haven't gone to any of my reunions, either... Never even been tempted. I wonder if I've been missing something worthwhile? Ah, well.

  14. Jianne Carlo // August 16, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

    Mary,

    It sounded like you had a great time. I wish I knew where my high school classmates were!

    I, too, went to an all girl school, a convent. I think the one sex atmosphere fosters confidence.

    Thanks for sharing,

    Jianne

  15. Mary Marvella // August 16, 2009 at 8:53 PM  

    At least there are fewer distractions! Thanks for the comments. Yes, I had good time. Now I'm older and have the confidence to have a good time any place I go!

  16. Judith Keim // August 17, 2009 at 10:22 AM  

    Such fun, Mary. And good to see the pictures. Funny, we all look somewhat alike, don't we? Thanks for sharing

  17. Josie // August 20, 2009 at 4:48 PM  

    Mary,
    High school reunions are great fun. Don't you love to see how everyone looks? BTW, your classmates look terrific and so young.