Catherine Bybee Blogs for the PFS

Posted by Mary Ricksen | 3:00 PM | 36 comments »

 

 KiltWorthy_w3419_300                             soul mate200x300

I’d like to welcome Catherine Bybee to the Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers blog today. Catherine is an incredibly talented author whom I met through The Wild Rose Press. She has a great blog herself on which she does video shorts, which are informative and very cool. Let’s give her a warm welcome and a cup of hot chocolate with the slippers we gave her.

Thanks for having me here today, Mary… and all you Fuzzy Slipper Ladies.

You’re welcome Catherine, I am thrilled to have you! Tell us about your newest book.

I’m celebrating my second release this month. Soul Mate is my werewolf novella from Red Rose Publishing.

Here is the blurb: Kari Pearce lives the life of a lone werewolf. No one knows of her affliction, not even her sister. When she hears of a missing child up in the Sequoias, Kari goes on the hunt to find the child and her abductor before tragedy can occur. Saving the child is easy, avoiding the FBI agent associated with the case, is not.

Agent Nick Murdock knows he's seen Kari before but damn if he can remember where. There's one thing he knows for sure. Kari Pearce with her blonde hair and piercing blue eyes is hiding something. And Nick is going to find out what.

Ah, a paranormal suspense! I just love shapeshifters. It takes a great author to be able to capture your audience and you Catherine had no problem grabbing my attention.

Excerpt:

As she walked away, his eyes followed the gentle sway of her hips. Damn, she was something to watch.

Once out of sight, he turned in his seat and brought the coffee cup to his lips. As he swallowed, his eyes landed on the car keys sitting next to Kari’s empty plate.
With a wicked smile, he covered them with his hand and headed toward the door.
Outside he watched her fumbling through her purse while standing in front of a four-wheel drive rental car. A strand of blonde hair slid over her face; she tossed it back in frustration and mumbled a curse.
“Looking for these?” He held up the keys and shook them with a jingle.
Her head shot up, eyes narrowed.
“You left them on the counter,” he found himself explaining.
Taking a step in his direction, she reached out to capture them from his fingers. Nick playfully pulled them out of reach. She cocked her head to the side and dropped her hand.
“Have dinner with me,” he spoke before she could say anything.
“What?” She looked at him as if he was crazy.
“You know, dinner. Kind of like breakfast, only later and with wine.”
“Are you always so forward, Mr. Murdock?”
“Nick.”
“Are you always so forward, Nick?” she emphasized his name to express her annoyance.
“I believe in being direct.”
She took another step in his direction and smoothed her hair back. Her tongue shot out and moistened her lips. The action shot heat to his groin. “I’m glad to hear that, Nick. I believe in being direct, too.” Stepping closer, she brought one hand up between them, tilted her head back to gaze into his eyes. Low lashes fluttered in a way that proved she knew her affect on him.
A small shock registered when she trailed a finger down his arm. “I think you are very attractive.”
“That’s a start.” His voice grew husky. “But...”
“But,” she sighed and walked her fingers down his arm. “I don’t like being held hostage for a date.” With that, she grabbed her keys from his hand and turned to walk away.

Now you have grabbed my attention. I love a woman who is sassy but classy.

Kari knows how to handle herself. It’s Nick that needs a few lessons from her. lol

What was your biggest moment in the publishing process?

Most people would say that their biggest high is getting “The Call” However; in the e-publishing world, we don’t receive a call so much as an e-mail. Even then, that wasn’t my favorite moment in this process. Long before I worked up the nerve to submit a manuscript to an agent or publisher, I told my BFF Sharon M. to read the beginning of Binding Vows. I printed out the first three chapters of my very rough draft and gave them to her.

Then, during a very boring PTA meeting a few days later, she leaned over and said. “Oh, my God, Cathy… This is really good.” I went on to tell her she didn’t have to say that if she didn’t like it, I’d understand. Besides I knew she didn’t even read romance novels. After her continued gushing, I worked up the nerve to sub Binding Vows. I’m happy to say that book will be out in December both in e-book and paperback.

And well, you know there’s a follow up book to that one, Mary. One I’m very excited about. Proving to my self that I could carry characters through a full-length novel and then onto a trilogy, has been huge for me.

Writing a full-length novel takes a lot more effort.

I actually feel that writing a full length is easier. You have more time to develop your characters and more time to make everything believable.

What is the biggest help to your writing process?

There are two things that come to mind. You may think I’m crazy when I say this but, the biggest help has been all those rejections in the beginning. If it wasn’t for those, I wouldn’t have sought after a critique partner. And in doing that, my writing has grown enormously. Without a CP’s set of looking over my work, I’d have received even more rejections.

I know that a critique partner or two is one of the biggest helps an author can have. They see things you cannot see. Sometimes just a word or two of help from your critique partners and your story comes alive!

Was there a moment when you realized you really were an author?

The first time an agent asked to see an entire manuscript. It didn’t pan out at the time, but I knew then that I had some talent for this business.

When I write, it has to be totally quiet, for some reason I am easily distracted.

Do you need quiet when you write, or can you write through anything?

I can listen to music when I write, but if my kids are harping on me to do something for them my brain turns to mush. I’d love to be able to block them out and write… but I can’t. This isn’t always a bad thing. They’ll only be young for so many years and I don’t want to miss any of them. Well, the teenage thing is a bit overrated. I could skip the attitude and hormones without loosing sleep. LOL

I just entered a contest where the prize is $100,000. I’ve been dreaming about what I’d do with it.

If you won $100,000 dollars, what would you do with it?

I’m not going to say pay bills or invest… That would be beyond boring! I’d buy that lil’ Mercedes convertible. Take an all-inclusive trip to Scotland and buy some clothes. LOL. And a few books for the plane ride.

A trip to Scotland, wow what a thrill that would be! I’ve never been any further then

Canada. It could end up being very romantic for you and your DH.

So when you figured out your talent was with words you decided to write a book.

What made you want to write romance books?

Romance is my first love of reading. I gobbled them up at 16 and learned more about sex from a book then I ever did my parents. And thank God for that. My family tree is full on step this and step that. The 60’s & 70’s were great for my gene pool. Even grandma was married seven or eight times. The last time she married, she was pushing 88 and she married a man in his early 40’s… No shit! I’m not making that up. I told her on the phone, “Don’t expect me to call him grandpa when he’s younger than my husband.”

Boy didn’t I get scorned for that sassy comment. But you have to admit, it was funny.

Romance novels and their ever present happily ever after is all I need to escape.

Grandma was married eight times. And the last one was in his 40’s, she must be one hot grandmother!

I agree the happily ever after is a big appeal, and so are the hunky hero’s you write about.

We all spent a good part of our childhoods thinking and dreaming about the future.

When you were growing up did you have a dream? And did it ever come true?

I wanted to find a wonderful, stable and awe inspiring husband. And I did. My lovely hubby and I have been married for 16 years and together for 21. I live a Diva’s life and I have time to enjoy my children. I am living the dream and loving it.

Thanks again for having me here today. To download your copy of Soul Mate step on over to Red Rose Publishing: http://redrosepublishing.com/bookstore/

To find out more about me, and my future books visit my website at: www.catherinebybee.com

Don’t forget to catch Catherine’s unique blog. When she does the videos, I just can’t pass it up! Romance By Catherine at www.catherinebybee.blogspot.com.

Thanks Catherine for taking the time to blog with us and for a look into the mind of a great author. Anyone who can come up with the title ‘Kilt Worthy’ has a great imagination. Your August 5th blog had a short video commercial on it which I loved. It sure shows the reason we all love a ‘Kilt Worthy’ man. I sincerely wish you great success with your newest release. I expect to see it on the bestseller list at TWRP for a long time to come.

The last thing I’d like to say Catherine, with a big sincere smile on my face is that I am so glad to call you my friend. What better accolade could a person get?

36 comments

  1. Toni V.S. // August 21, 2009 at 3:13 PM  

    I love that description of dinner! "Like breakfast, only later, with wine."

  2. Skhye // August 21, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

    Wonderful interview! Love the covers. Especially for Soul Mate. Even though I'm a fool for kilts! Catherine, you need to come over and talk about kilts at my blog. LOL Soul Mates are an equally suitable topic. ;)

    Great job entertaining the blog-hoppin' crowd, Mary!

  3. Mary Ricksen // August 21, 2009 at 3:42 PM  

    Sorry this wasn't up at noon. I pre posted and it failed me! Maybe it's me.
    But welcome Catherine, welcome!

  4. Mary Marvella // August 21, 2009 at 3:45 PM  

    Sizzling hot covers, Catherine! The story sounds great and the scene is a real gotcha! Good job, Mary R.

  5. Beth Trissel // August 21, 2009 at 4:20 PM  

    Hi Catherine! Delighted to have you here. Our paths cross often these days. I enjoyed your interview and love the covers. Your new book has popped up over on my page at myspace and adds well to the decor. :)

  6. Catherine Bybee // August 21, 2009 at 4:44 PM  

    Hi Toni... Isn't that a fab line? I can't believe I came up with that. Isn't it great what characters come up with?

    Skhye: Anytime m'dear. I'd be happy to yack. I'm kinda good at it. lol

    Mary: No worries. Blogs are as tempermental as men. lol

    Mary M.: Thanks so much. I hope the entire story delivers for everyone as much as the excerpt. I'm always bumbed when the excerpt is the best part of a book.

    Beth: It's crazy isn't it? The internet world. If I could make a village of all my cyber-pals it would be a great place to go and drink wine.

  7. Catherine Bybee // August 21, 2009 at 4:46 PM  

    Oh and... Thanks again for having me here, Mary! You're the bomb!

  8. Cari Quinn // August 21, 2009 at 4:52 PM  

    Hi Catherine and Mary and the rest of The Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers! Your family sounds great, Catherine. I loved the story about your grandmother. Hey, whatever keeps you writing is good, right? Best of luck with Soul Mate. :)

  9. Catherine Bybee // August 21, 2009 at 4:54 PM  

    As long as I don't have to live with grandma its great, Cari. LOL Thanks!

  10. Tricia Schneider // August 21, 2009 at 6:57 PM  

    And I thought my husband's family was complicated. Your family beat that! Funny story about your Grandma. Good to know you have longevity and passion in your family. I bet it's genetic! Great interview and here's wishing you much success! :-)

  11. Mona Risk // August 21, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

    Hi Catherine, welcome to the PFS. after seeing it on the TWRP loop, I would never forget that title, Kilt Worthy, or the cover that came with it.LOL.

    No wonder you write hot romance. It's in your genes, coming directly from grandma.I imagine her like Zsa Zsa Gabor!!! Sassy and glamorous in her old age.

  12. Emma Lai // August 21, 2009 at 7:55 PM  

    Fun interview, ladies! Sorry, I'm late stopping by, but I was taking advantage of our TAX FREE shopping weekend.

    Loved the excerpt, Catherine. I agree that with full lengths you can develop the characters more, but you sure did a great job with your short. I'll have to get a copy of Soul Mate and compare. Congrats!

  13. Pamela Varnado // August 21, 2009 at 8:14 PM  

    Catherine, you're right, finding a critique partner is an important step in gaining the skills needed to get published. If not for the three lovely ladies I critique with, I'd still be writing pages of purple prose.

  14. P.L. Parker // August 21, 2009 at 8:19 PM  

    Great covers. I'm too old for them. Hee hee.

    Patsy

  15. Scarlet Pumpernickel // August 21, 2009 at 8:29 PM  

    Most interesting blog! Mary you did a fine job! Love the way you varied the questions to draw our interest. Catherine, love your covers and the stories sound yummy! Can't wait to read them!

  16. Becca Simone // August 21, 2009 at 9:40 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  17. Becca Simone // August 21, 2009 at 9:43 PM  

    Hi Catherine,
    I just read Kilt Worthy a couple of days ago and loved it. Good job. I bet it'll reach the top of the TWRP bestseller list any day now.

    I love the story of your grandma. What a great, eccentric woman. How long were they married, BTW? Just had to ask.

    I, too, have teenagers and could do without the hormones and the drama. Do yours know what kind of books you write? My 17 year old thinks it's cool. My 13 year old son is mortified at the thought.

    :)Becca

  18. Autumn Jordon // August 21, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

    Hi, Catherine. Loved the exerpt. Sounds like a must read. Also enjoyed your story about your grandmother. She sounds like a great character. Definitely would love to chat with her.

    Congrats on the release.

    AJ

  19. Josie // August 21, 2009 at 9:51 PM  

    Catherine,
    Thanks for joining the Pink Fuzzies today. Your book covers are terrific.
    I love the story about your grandmother. What fun!

  20. Dayana // August 21, 2009 at 11:04 PM  

    Hey Cat and Mary! Wonderful interview! I love the story about your grandmother. What a woman, LOL

    I read Kilt Worthy and absolutely loved it and I just purchased Soul Mate on release day and will be reading it over the weekend. If you have not purchased these books already, I suggest you do. Cat is a wonderful storyteller.

    And she is my promo nudge, LOL She got me motivated and maybe a bit too exuberant about promotion but hey if you're getting tired of hearing from and about me, I guess I am doing my job, right? You know my name which is the whole point *grin*

    Catherine is an exceptional and very proactive author and promoter. Her blog is always good for wonderful aids and help for author self promotion. She always has fresh ideas and has motivated me to come up with new ways to get people to notice. Thanks, Cat. Love you, my friend.

    Best to you and many sales. You've worked so hard for so long. You deserve all the best!

    Hugs,

    Dayana~

  21. Catherine Bybee // August 21, 2009 at 11:30 PM  

    OMG... go to soccer practice with my 10yr old and wham... look what happens. Wow. So many people to talk to.

    Tricia: Oh... my don't get me started about the DH's family. We'll be here all day. Thanks for stopping by.


    Mona: OMG... Would you believe the great title search of 09... Kilt Worthy was my original pick... my editor Lori and I dashed a few things around and included the head editor... after several weeks and dozens of titles later we picked... Kilt Worthy. OMG... didn't I already say that. Ask my cp's we laughed about it for weeks.
    As for Zsa Zsa... Hon, she has nothing on my nana! Nana dressed as a flapper for my wedding. *rolling eyes.

    Emma: did I miss tax free? How the hell did that happen?

  22. Catherine Bybee // August 21, 2009 at 11:33 PM  

    Pamela: I LOVE my CP's. When in my acting days I learned the meaning behind the expression "There's no small part... only small people." My CP's are the bomb. I learn something from each and every one of them. God I hope I give back!

    PL: Hon, we're all to old for them... look at nana! Didn't stop her.

    Scarlet: Do you know my nana? She'd grab that name if it were available. Kid you not.

    Comment Deleted: Oh, well... next time. lol

  23. Catherine Bybee // August 21, 2009 at 11:39 PM  

    Becca: * Big Kiss... Even if I don't make #1 I'm happy to have heard such possitive feedback from all who have read it.

    Nana's marriage? God, woman... how long did you think it lasted? 5 minutes. IDK... a few months. "It's okay that he's Gay... I still love him." Quote un-quote.
    My 13 yr old doesn't know I actually write sex scenes. When he finds out... watch out, the gloves are coming off!

    Autum: Nana's in Idaho... over 90 now and more than willing to tell you all about her life... anytime.

  24. Catherine Bybee // August 21, 2009 at 11:44 PM  

    Joanne: Thanks for having me! Nana is a hoot. From a distance. God help me if she lived next door!

    Dayana: I love ya too! *big kiss* I'm so pleased you enjoyed KW and do hope you enjoy SM as well. Of course it's slighly less... sexual. *rolling eyes... slightly. Still, I think you'll enjoy it, being the furry lover yourself!
    Thanks for the promo plug... but truly I really do simply enjoy what I'm doing and want to make a go of it. The advice I give is what is working for me and what I've collected from others before me. No reason to learn every lesson the hard way!

  25. Harris Channing // August 22, 2009 at 12:15 AM  

    The book sounds great! I'm so glad I found my way over here tonight! Another book to be added to my TBR pile!

    Thanks Catherine!

  26. Catherine Bybee // August 22, 2009 at 12:16 AM  

    I hope you do, Harris. More, I hope you enjoy it.

  27. LynneRoberts // August 22, 2009 at 12:36 AM  

    Wonderful interview! I loved the story about Catherine's grandmother. Kilt Worthy is awesome, I can't wait to read Soul Mates (And the cover is HOT)

  28. Catherine Bybee // August 22, 2009 at 12:55 AM  

    Hi Lynne. It is a fantastic cover. So true to what I wanted. Thanks for the kind words about Kilt Worthy. I hope you enjoy Soul Mate just as much.

  29. Traci // August 22, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

    Excellent interview - the excerpt sure caught my attention! Congratulations :)

  30. Hywela Lyn // August 22, 2009 at 9:38 AM  

    Hi Catherine and Mary

    Loved the interview and I really enjoyed the exerpt, looks like a great book - very eye catching covers to your books too. Excellent!

  31. Catherine Bybee // August 22, 2009 at 11:42 AM  

    Traci: Thanks for stopping by.

    Hywela: I'd like to take credit for the covers. Nope Sigh... They are great though.

  32. Melissa // August 22, 2009 at 5:27 PM  

    omg! When are we going to meet a character based on your awesome soundign grandmother in one of your stories? Now that is a woman begging to be fictionalized! And here I was proud of my great-grandma for having four hubbies and having the gumption to have booted one to the curb back on the day (you know, the scandal of a divorce) for cheating... wow!

    Congrats on the new release and on the pending release :)

  33. Sharon Donovan // August 23, 2009 at 6:28 AM  

    Hi Catherine and Mary. Love the interview. Catherine, this book sounds hot and the comment about your grandmother is too! Best of luck
    Sharon

  34. Catherine Bybee // August 23, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

    Melissa: Thanks for stoppin by... Funny 'scandal' of divorce in my family isn't. It's a given. lol

    Sharon: I do hope everyone who pickes it up enjoys it. I know I do. lol

  35. KaiaLogan // August 24, 2009 at 7:01 PM  

    Great interview Catherine and Mary, lots of fun to read--as was the excerpt :-)

  36. Catherine Bybee // August 24, 2009 at 7:16 PM  

    Kaia: Thanks, m'dear.