I'd like to discuss something we all can't do enough of and that is PROMO. Once you get the promo bug--Thank you, Catherine!--you constantly strive to find different ways to keep your name and books in the proverbial limelight.

Loops, blogging, visiting all the blogs you can manage, belonging to any loop, group, network you can helps but there are downfalls to this. One problem I find is there is not enough hours in a day, days in a week for me to be everywhere I need to be! Escpecially when you work a full time job as well. So how do I manage all this? I can't really. No honestly, it is very hard to be everywhere at once, so what I try to do is cycle around to everyone's blogs and pick and choose the networks I join.

If you have been following my blog I am constantly striving to find new ideas to gain followers. I have joined networks like Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook, which have been advantageous. And I have to say easily maintained. I have pages at WDRF, Coffee Time Romance and am guilty of not keeping them up as diligently as I should. Lord knows, I would love to be on top of it all.

I belong to PFSW, TWRP Author's loop, LASR loop and many others but again it is sooooo very hard to keep up with them all. How many of you find you also have difficulty keeping up? I'd like to hear what you do to keep visible.

Some things I have done:

~Keep blog and website current. This is a major priority for me.

~Let the public at Twitter, MySpace, and Facebook know what I am up to at least once a day.

~Visit blogs at least every week and leave comments.

~Keep up with friend's invites for new releases and blog events.

~Read and review new releases.

~Grab attention to your blog by coming up with new ideas to draw visitors, IE, recipes, craft articles and issues such as my "Pirating" article which drew a lot of interest and commentary.

~Newsletter and a loop "Dayana's Happenings" which clues members in monthly at what I'm up to.

~Be active in local Chapter groups and join local activities such as booksignings, writing groups, etc. Socializing with peers is a wonderful thing to do as well and build lasting friendships.

~Create a Fan Page at Facebook. I really haven't figured out how much exposure this will be but I do try to update it at least weekly and push people over to view it when I think of it.

~Give peers the opportunity at promotion on your blog which draws them attention and you more attention as their following will discover you! Guest bloggers are fun and my newest venture is offering "Author Spotlights" weekly. I already have a list of authors to schedule:)

The key to keeping attention on you is to keep it fresh. Keep venues updated and interesting. Investigate new avenues. Perfect example is Catherine Bybee's video blogging. I'm not that techno but hey! maybe sometime in the near future:)

Anyway, I hope this article has been advantageous and helpful. Thanks for dropping by and reading. As always, comments welcome.

Dayana~

18 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // August 22, 2009 at 11:20 AM  

    Great advise Dayana, gotta keep the blog up to date if you want traffic. I have found the best thing to do is blog, go to others blogs and comment. Yes, the big C word. It takes time but the rewards are endless.

  2. Catherine Bybee // August 22, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

    You go woman! It takes 7 times for your name to cross someone's lips, eyes, whatever before they pick up your book. So, go... go... go!

  3. Jaclyn Tracey // August 22, 2009 at 12:49 PM  

    7 times, Catherine? I never heard that. Learning something new daily keeps you from dying that day, or so I've been told.
    D~
    You're way to busy for me. I can't seem to keep up my blog every other month let alone daily. I'll make it a new resolution to try:)
    Have a great weekend.

  4. Toni V.S. // August 22, 2009 at 1:21 PM  

    I agree and as anyone can testify, I'm been going at it pretty heavily this month, what with mine and Icy Snow's books both out. What int he world will I do when Tony-Paul also steps into the ring in October! I can see the headline: Writer collapses from alter-ego overload!

  5. Dayana // August 22, 2009 at 1:50 PM  

    LOL, Jack and Toni. You ladies are just too funny:)

    Catherine as you know, you are my heroine and my nudge. That little birdie that says "Keep it up, woman!" so much, in fact, I hear you when you're nowhere in sight, *grin*

    And Mary, yes! You've got to keep plugging even when you have those days when one lonely soul comments. I have Sitemeter monitoring my blog and website and you would be surprised at the number of people who visit and DON'T COMMENT.

    The trick seems to be posting topics that a person just can't stop oneself from piping in on. Perfect example would be the pirating article. Each blog that subject was spoken about on got very successful numbers of comments.

    Thanks for dropping by ladies. Have a fine weekend.

    D~

  6. Mona Risk // August 22, 2009 at 2:56 PM  

    Dayanna, I made myself a rule to visit every blog at least once a week but I need reminder. Now to answer all the emails I receive, leave a comment on every friend's blog and maintain my blog takes enormous time. I don't work but I have to spend at least six hours at my Mom's everyday. I have critique and contest judging and editing. I need 30 hours in the day as I almost don't sleep to handle all theses tasks. I wish we could hire a company to do the promotiom for all of us.

  7. Dayana // August 22, 2009 at 3:04 PM  

    Oh, Mona! You and me both! A personal assistant would be so helpful don't you think? LOL Well, if we keep at it that just might one day be a reality.

    I feel your pain, Mona, I truly do. But it's something that we MUST deal with in order to make our chosen craft career viable.

    Best,
    D~

  8. Pamela Varnado // August 22, 2009 at 3:16 PM  

    Excellent advice and very timely for me. I just sold an erotic paranormal short story to TWRP. I'm excited about the sale, but worried about the promo aspect. And like you, I struggle to find time to keep up with all the blogs I belong to.

  9. Dayana // August 22, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

    Congratulations, Pam! What story did you sell to TWRP?

    Thanks for piping in here:)

    D~

  10. Barbara Monajem // August 22, 2009 at 3:31 PM  

    So far I've just dipped my toes into promo -- I have a website and am starting to blog. I also comment regularly on quite a few blogs. I think guest blogging at the time of a book's release is excellent for promo -- often I'll notice an author's name and/or title at least 7 times over the course of a few weeks, and it definitely starts to stick!!

  11. Pamela Varnado // August 22, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

    Dayana,
    I sold a short story named Deadly Salvation. I don't have a release date t yet, and the title will change to something more sexier since the story is erotic.

  12. Jaclyn Tracey // August 22, 2009 at 10:00 PM  

    ok, D~
    You shamed me into updating my blog. I did it. Thank you. Hope you enjoyed your day at pink fuzzy Slippers.
    The pirating blog was excellent with a lot of info that most people don't consider.As was getting yourself noticed. I'm more like one of thosr wallflower blobs that people pass by. Yeah, that about sums me up!
    Time for me to turn into a pumpkin. Tis almost my bewitching hour.
    Enjoy the night. Our heroines will:)
    Jt

  13. Dayana // August 22, 2009 at 10:11 PM  

    Thank you everyone for stopping by. I really enjoyed gabbing with you all.

    Uhh... Jack! No way are you unnoticeable. A wallflower blog? You??! Pardon me while I snicker.

    You are the type of person everyone is attracted to in a room full of people, sort of like a moth to a flame, LOL You have the most hysterical sense of humor in person and in your writing that I have ever seen. Invisible? You? Uh no. More like the spark that lights everyone else's fire.

    D~

  14. Jaclyn Tracey // August 22, 2009 at 10:24 PM  

    Thank you, dear friend, for your kinds words. Love you.
    Your sense of humor keeps me going better than Mr. Everready... and that takes a lot of juice.

  15. Mary Marvella // August 22, 2009 at 10:40 PM  

    Wow, I left home this morning at 5 AM to met Scarlet to attend a workshop in Birmingham, AL. Bad girl, Pam. You announced your sale while I wasn't looking! Go, Pam!

    Of course I knew about it!

  16. Mary Marvella // August 22, 2009 at 10:40 PM  

    Good blog, Dayana. We needed that, each one of us!

  17. Mary Marvella // August 22, 2009 at 10:41 PM  

    Welcome to our guests from Mama Mary.

  18. Dayana // August 22, 2009 at 10:45 PM  

    Thank you, Mama. I had a ball today. I did wonder where our illustrous leader had disappeared to. Hope you and Scarlet had a wonderful time.

    But as you see, I was able to hold down the fort *grin* I seem to have brought all my friends with me:)

    Love you all. Thanks for keeping me company all day, guys. You've been great!

    D~