Hello Everyone!
First a brief introduction:)
My name is Callie Lynn Wolfe. I am the Senior Editor for the Black Rose Line at The Wild Rose Press. We are the darkest side of the garden and love to read about hot, sexy Weres and Vamps. We also accept any of the darker creatures your wildest imagination can come up with. Demons, witches, warlocks, etc. Though we are just a hair's breath away from TWRP's Scarlet line on the heat meter, we also look for humorous light stories of the darker side of paranormal as well.

For more information on submissions guidelines please follow the below link

I'd like to take some time and talk about the things I look for in a submission. First and foremost, I like a story to grab me for the get go. I want to see the action from the very first sentence. Most new authors will concentrate on introduction and scene setup or give a ton of back story. NO! Jump the reader into the action right away. This is known as The HOOK.

NOTE: Remember, we are looking at a synopsis first, so you will want to make that synopsis curious enough to entice the reviewing editor to ask for your partial. Clean well-written synopsis will do the job. DO NOT concentrate on fancy or impressive writing with your synopsis and for Heaven's sake DO NOT drag on and on and give the editor every last detail. Short and concise is best. Give the main concept of theme and storyline as sharp and vivid as possible. DO NOT give too much away.

Now, back to the partial submission of your story which usually is the first three chapters or fifty pages of the work. If you carry on and on about character introductions and scene imagery in the first several pages you've lost me. I want ACTION. I want an EVENT to be in full swing. Fodder to grab my curiosity, make me keep turning pages. If you are writing a story about a woman who doesn't know she is a shifter, perhaps start us out with her having symptoms of a shift. Or in a doctor's office trying to find out why all of a sudden she is craving raw red meat.

A Vamp story might begin with the Hero/Heroine being turned or perhaps stalking and taking a meal?? Get my point? We don't want to start with what a castle looked like when the vampire was turned in 1850.

I will be in and out all day with other hints at what to do to make your submissions the best they can be. I will also be available to answer questions. Please check in periodically.
I will also be offering one lucky person a free five page edit of their WIP or completed manuscript. Just post legitimate comments or questions, and I will draw a name on Sunday evening from all the comments received on all posts I make today. So, come on and let's get this party started. Post your questions, comments and let's have a wonderful informative and helful session.

Thank you for dropping by and I hope to see your submissions coming my way:)
I've an appointment to prepare for now so I will be back shortly with more...
Callie Lynn Wolfe
Senior Editor, Black Rose
The Wild Rose Press










12 comments

  1. Anonymous // March 14, 2009 at 10:39 AM  

    That's very good advice. I've had moderate success with some things in my budding career, but I remember my first completed ms. First two chapters full of back story and info dumping. I'm embarrassed about it now :-)

    Anyway, I wrote a vamp novel and the very first chapter is all about the action :-) I think, if anything, it goes too fast.

    In your opinion, do you like to read fast paced action scenes that make you feel as if you're running right along with the characters, or do you want slower pacing?

  2. Lisa Alexander Griffin // March 14, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

    Callie Lynn,
    I noticed when you talk about the synopsis, you say not to give too much away. I'm confused. I thought in a synopsis the writer should reveal the meat of the story, no surprises for the editor? Can you expound more on what you meant. :)

  3. Judith Keim // March 14, 2009 at 10:46 AM  

    Great to have you here! It's always wonderful when talented people in the publishing business offer advice. Appreciate it!

  4. Anonymous // March 14, 2009 at 10:57 AM  

    Callie (Or do you go by Callie Lynn)- thanks for blogging with us today. There is some wonderful advice in your blog.

    My question has to do with length... What is the minimum story length and the maximum story length?

  5. Linda Banche // March 14, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

    Hi Callie,

    I'd like to know the protocol if you haven't written the book yet.

    For a first time author, I understand, you have to write the entire book before you query.

    But after that--do you send in the query and synopsis without having the rest of the book written?

    And does length matter? Do the shorter pieces have to be finished before you query, or can you query before they're done?

    Just for the record, English Tea Rose has accepted two of my minis, but I was wondering about this matter.

  6. Donna Caubarreaux // March 14, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

    Can I write a synopsis in the first person?

    I know it's out of the norm, but my voice really comes through with first person.

  7. Barbara White Daille // March 14, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

    Thanks for stopping by today to share your thoughts. Great information!

    Do you have any types of stories you personally like best?

    And if you can answer questions about your other lines, do you know what storylines Sweetheart Rose editors have been seeing too much of or would like to see more of?

    Thanks again for taking the time to blog and to come back periodically with more info.

    Best,

    Barbara
    www.barbarawhitedaille.com

  8. Mary Ricksen // March 14, 2009 at 3:34 PM  

    I had to chuck my whole first chapter as backtelling. Best advise I ever got.
    What is the best way to introduce bits of interest that would otherwise be called backtelling?
    How did you become an editor?
    What education is required.
    Thanks Callie.

  9. Kara // March 14, 2009 at 3:38 PM  

    Callie Lynn-

    Thank you for your helpful insight. I'm taking it with me :)

    I am looking to submit two books, intended to be two separate series-one vamp and one sorcerer-to publishers. I'm curious to know what the market is like for a sorcerer novel, since vamps are always in demand. Could this be something Black Rose might be interested in?

  10. Scarlet Pumpernickel // March 14, 2009 at 4:42 PM  

    Callie,
    Thanks for visiting with the Fuzzies today and giving us advice about sharpening our work! The advice on the synopsis certainly was welcome. The dreaded "S" is always difficult for me. It's good to know that I don't have to write an indepth, blow by blow, detailed synposis! Hey, I did that all ready when I wrote the manuscript. LOL.
    Could you give us a few details on word length and how hot is hot?

    Thanks again for blogging today!

    Scarlet

  11. Pamela Varnado // March 14, 2009 at 5:56 PM  

    I'm glad you mentioned what you are looking for in the story opening. I love action. It pulls me in right away and builds up the tension early on.

    How do you keep the pace moving fast while you are world-building?

  12. Mary Marvella // March 14, 2009 at 6:50 PM  

    Callie Lynn,

    This moderator most surely does NOT object to your returning and giving us more of you time! She is very grateful.

    Mama Mary