Evening or shall I say Good Morning, All:)


Okay, I will close tonight by answering all your questions from my second post. If you are just dropping in and want to play catch up, I have been guest blogging on what I look for in submissions today. If you've missed my first two posts, please feel free to work back and check them out.


I am the senior editor of the Black Rose line at The Wild Rose Press. By the way, thank you all for your participation and questions. I am having a wonderful time hanging out here. Thank you, Mama Mary, for having me here and inviting me to drop in periodically and guest blog for you. I do plan to drop in through today(Sunday), as well, so keep those questions coming!


Okay, back to your questions:


Mary Ricksen asked:


How did you become an editor? What education is required?


I began with another press back in 2000, however, they didn't have a paranormal line. They didn't even have a romance line! But it was wonderful experience and I found I loved doing it. At that time I worked on a team of three editors. We had a senior, a copy editor, and a final editor. The copy and final switched back and forth each project. Thus the learning curve was much better.


I started out in a critique group and moved on to the above mentioned publisher as a reader first and was soon asked to become an editor because I had a good grasp of the mechanics and grammar.


I later inquired with The Wild Rose Press because I saw they had a paranormal department and I was impressed overall with them as a publishing house. I interviewed with Rhonda Penders and was given some editing work to do to see my editing aptitude. I passed with flying colors and the rest is history:) I have been with TWRP almost from their beginnings. I have watched them grow. It has been a wonderful ride. We were voted BEST publisher this year by Preditor & Editors. I am very proud to work for The Wild Rose Press.


As far as education required, Mary. Persuing higher education is always a good thing and I plan on picking up classes now and then, but in some cases, as in mine, I have a knack for grammar, mechanics and structure, so I was able to get in a business that I love without a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in English:) I've always excelled in English and grammar throughout all my years in school.


Kara asked:


I am looking to submit two books, intended to be two separate series-one vamp and one sorcerer-to publishers. I'm curious to know what the market is like for a sorcerer novel, since vamps are always in demand. Could this be something Black Rose might be interested in?


We do not and have not had any sorcerer subs, Kara, but if the story is on the darker side of Paranormal then, by all means, send it on in for consideration. We are always looking for new ideas and different stories. I'm really not sure about the market regarding this type of hero/heroine and it may fall more to a fantasy line which would be our Faery line unless, as I mentioned above, it is on the darker side. Hope this helps.


Scarlet and Donna both asked:


Could you give us a few details on word length and how hot is hot?


This is a very good question. There is a very fine line between Scarlet which is our Erotic line and Black Rose. The best difference I can give you is if the story is about the sex and not much else then it would be considered erotic and not hot. Also, the references are a wee bit tamer in Black then Scarlet. Think a Penthouse fantasy story and you can probably figure out which way the story would fall. But never worry because we will determine the correct line at the time of the review and guide you accordingly.


Scarlett also asked:


Can you tell us the most exciting discover you've ever come across? What does it take to really knock your socks off?


Hmm...this is a tough question, Scarlett. I only accept books I think will market well. I look for a different twist on vamp and shifter stories and new entities. For example, I had a submission that was a hero locked in a gargoyle statue on the top of a building, and he was only released at certain times to guard the heroine. This is fresh and unique plot!


I look for talent. Some authors don't have a grasp on the mechanics of grammar but a wonderful way of supplying imagery and pulling you into a story with a good plotline. I can overlook all the other stuff if the story pulls me in and keeps me there.


Mama Mary asked:


Callie Lynn, have you had to reject an idea because the writer went too far with her choice of characters and plot? I know the submissions instructions include taboos, but what beyond a taboo would get a quick "no way"?


As a matter of fact, Mary, yes! I had a story submitted to me that went way past the realm of abusive behavior. The story had the hero taking advantage of the heroine while she lay frozen from exposure and comatose. Before they had even met! And when she came to, he took advantage of her innocence thus gaining his own sexual pleasures. This is unforgivable and there is no way to redeem a character in my eyes that treats a woman this way.


Barbara asked:


Will do, Barbara:)


Linda asked:


Callie, I've heard that vampires are "dead" but then you have the popular True Blood series on TV. What, as an editor are you seeing in trends?


I personally don't feel the vampire story is dead as long as the twist is new and refreshing. Same ole same ole won't work. You've got to come up with new ideas and twists. Toss out the stereotype of the Vampire.


If these stories weren't selling why would Hollywood insist on creating new movies and shows surrounding them?


Pamela asked:


How do you keep the pace moving fast when you are world-building?


Very carefully, LOL. Pamela, you need to get your imagery intertwined with your actions. You don't want to fall into a two page scene set up. By using the senses, side actions also known as 'beats' you can kill two birds with one stone--pardon the cliche--and knowing when to move on.


The key is to always be sure your reader feels apart of the scene. The reader needs to see, taste, smell, feel, etc. As long as this is happening while you are world-building, then I say you have no worries.


Kathy asked:


My question is regarding submissions to TWRP. Once an editor has requested a full manuscript, what is the "normal" turnaround time to expect a response (I know, I know, there no such thing as "normal" with regards to response time, just looking for a ballpark timeframe.) Thanks for being here.


Well, the turn around for a requested manuscript can take up to 90 or more days unless there are extenuating circumstances unforseen by your editor/reviewer. There really is no way to honestly answer this across the board. I can only speak for myself. The arena changes everyday. I have subs dropping in my inbox daily and each editor is responsible for each step with each manuscript tossed on your desk. Depending on the workload these time constraints will fluctuate. The most important thing we as editors can do is keep in touch with our authors and authors need to feel free to request status of their submissions without fear of annoying their editor. My mailbox is always open. If any of my authors are concerned or want to know where I am on their submissions, they know or I would hope they know that they can contact me anytime. I always answer my email within a day or so.


Note: Always begin your status request with the editor assigned to your project or the senior editor of that line first. If you feel your are not being responded to or treated properly only then would you go to Rhonda Penders. She will definitely see your are helped but then so will I if an author has any issue with my line editors or me personally. I hope that answers your question, Kathy. If you are having an issue with submissions feel free to email me privately and I will be happy to help or guide you.


Well, I think that's it for this morning. I'll check in later today. I really need to go to bed now, LOL


Nite all!


Callie Lynn Wolfe
Senior Editor, The Black Rose Line
The Wild Rose Press

5 comments

  1. Anonymous // March 15, 2009 at 1:54 PM  

    Thanks for the answer Callie.

    Another question: Can you start the book in the hero's POV?

    .

  2. Mary Ricksen // March 15, 2009 at 4:31 PM  

    Many thanks for taking the time to answer our questions.
    What do you think about writing in first person?

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // March 15, 2009 at 4:57 PM  

    Callie, what a pleasure it has been to have you visit with the Fuzzies. We look forward to your next visit.

    Once last question, if I may! TWRP accepts electronic subs, how do you handle the work load? Do you read the material on the screen or do you print out a hard copy?

    Scarlet, just being curious as usual!

  4. Anonymous // March 15, 2009 at 5:54 PM  

    Callie - Wonder posts. Very informative. Hope you visit often

  5. Mary Marvella // March 15, 2009 at 8:07 PM  

    Callie, we got way more than our dime's worth from you! Thanks!