There is one thing that can be said about Skhye Moncrief, she has a big heart. When she heard I'd never had a birthday party because I was born on December 25th, she sent me a birthday present, a copy of her book. I just finished He Of the Fiery Sword. It's one of the best escapes I have had in a long time. Wonderful imagery, captivating characters and all in the world of the fey. Great stuff.
Please welcome the talented, and big hearted Skhye Moncrief.

How long had you been writing, and how many books had you written before you were published?
I couldn't tell you. LOL. I think I started writing novels around 2001. I wrote a dozen Time Guardian novels before finally selling one. :)

What do you do in your spare time?
I meet another WRP author for lunch or playtime. She takes care of her granddaughter. Otherwise, we're waiting for our monarch butterflies to hatch from their chrysallises. :) I'm a science geek and try to make the world a fascinating place for my daughter.

The inevitable. Are you a plotter or a panster?
I rarely plot more than a few scenes and basic goals, motivation, and conflict. I have a few points I work toward in a story. Once I hit each one, I sigh and work on to the next.

Have you ever had writers block? How do you get over it?
Probably by eating! LOL. Then again, I don't have writers block. I tend to terrify other authors by thinking out their story problems too quickly. Me, I watch a documentary for one hour and come up with three stories.

Who are your favorite authors?
Jennifer Roberson, M. M. Kaye, Charles Stross, Sherrilyn Kenyon, Karen M. Moning...

So, tell us about that four heart review!
The one where I about fell out of my chair because the reviewer said my King Arthur was a masterpiece? I waited almost a year for a professional review. And wham! I hit the floor.

Do you pattern your characters after people you know?
No. I write with issues in mind. Not people.


Do you prefer an alpha male hero?
Oh yes. I was very into cavemen when a teen. That's about as alpha as a hero can get.

Where do you get your ideas from?
Sometimes, it's something I see in a movie. Documentaries are the best. But the idea can pop into my head anytime, anywhere.

What is with this gourd obscession you seem to have?
The gourd thing is actually something cool to think about. We look at something accentuating a penis and think "AHHHHHHHH!" Well, some cultures in Papua New Guinea just cover up their genitals with gourds. The gourd's appearance is based on the culture in which the person lives. Like Highland clans who have different colored tartans, penis gourd shape is dependent upon the tribe the man belongs to... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koteka http://www.rhymer.net/New%20Folder/penisgourdgallery/gallery.htm

Are you part of a critique group?
I was until the baby consumed all my time. Now, I'm lucky to chat with those critique partners on the phone..

Do you belong to your local RWA chapter?
No. I don't schmooze well. I'm a recluse. Yes! It's true.

Thanks Skhye for your time and a great interview!

Please contact Skhye at her web site, www.skhyemoncrief.com
All her books are available paperback or ebook format

31 comments

  1. Sharon Donovan // March 13, 2009 at 5:22 AM  

    Hi Skhye and Mary! Great interview ladies. It's always interesting to hear how other writers think. Your books sound great, Skhye and I agree with Mary. You have a truly big heart. Good luck in all you do.

  2. Hywela Lyn // March 13, 2009 at 7:00 AM  

    Hello Mary and Skhye

    Great interview - yes my dear Muse Sister Skhye has a big heart which I think she tries to hide - and she's a very talented and clever lady too.

    Mary - didn't know about your Birthday being on Christmas Day - that's either very bad luck or a Special Blessing. Perhaps both!

  3. Anonymous // March 13, 2009 at 7:42 AM  

    Okay, okay, my best friend for ages and very wise woman said I'm too kind. People take advantage of me. So, maybe I do have a heart. LOL

    Thanks for stopping by Sharon and Lyn

  4. Josie // March 13, 2009 at 8:35 AM  

    Welcome, Skhye, to the Pink Fuzzies. Your books sound fascinating, and congratulations on your success!
    Thanks, Mary, for the interview.

  5. Skhye // March 13, 2009 at 8:56 AM  

    Thanks, Joanne.

  6. Beth Trissel // March 13, 2009 at 10:11 AM  

    Loved your interview, Skhye! Very interesting. I enjoyed learning more about you. Our writing styles are quite similar. :) I'm also rather reclusive and wondering why I'm in all these RWA groups? I may not be much longer....

  7. Skhye // March 13, 2009 at 10:48 AM  

    Yes, Beth. It's hard to manage writing time. Especially with a 3-yr old afoot. I haven't had much time to ever post on loops because of taking care of my child.

  8. Emma Lai // March 13, 2009 at 11:26 AM  

    Great interview Skyhe and Mary!

    It's so hard keeping up with you Skyhe. You may be a recluse, but you are an energetic one. Must be all that trying to keep up with the little one as well as helping out your fellow writers, of which I happily admit, I am one.

    Love the Time Guardians! He of the Fiery Sword was great. Next one for me is The Spell of the Killing Moon!

  9. Skhye // March 13, 2009 at 11:28 AM  

    Thanks, Emma. I wish all this busy work burned calories!

    BTW, I just made a batch of Scotch oatcakes--one of the blog entries before mine. Scroll down. Check out the previous articles. MY THREE YEAR OLD KEEPS BEGGING FOR MORE. :)

  10. Anonymous // March 13, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

    Hi Skhye. Welcome to PFSW. I haven't read you (but looks like I need to change that) I love time travel and Merlin, and King Arthur. Your books sound wonderful.

    Thanks for taking care of Mary on her birthday! She's a gem, isn't she?

    Thanks for visiting. I hope you'll be back with us often.

  11. Mary Ricksen // March 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

    Everyone who know Skhye loves her.
    That was one of the best birthday presents a person could get.
    And given the great stories she writes, doubly so!
    Thanks for doing a great interview Skhye.
    Don't ever stop being good hearted, but never be a chump. There are always those who would use you, the trick is weeding out the users.

  12. Anonymous // March 13, 2009 at 12:16 PM  

    Thanks, Cyndi. This looks like a great place to haunt! And Mary is a gem!!!

  13. Skhye // March 13, 2009 at 12:18 PM  

    I stopped letting people use me ages ago. After a person has 80 hours of anthropology under her belt, she tells the bears where to s**t in the buckwheat without flinching!

  14. Pamela Varnado // March 13, 2009 at 1:26 PM  

    It's amazing where we get our ideas for stories. Like you I can watch a tv show and come up with lots of new plots. The only hindrance is that I have finish one story before I start another.

  15. Skhye // March 13, 2009 at 1:44 PM  

    Ain't that the truth, Pamela. Thanks for stopping by.

  16. Mona Risk // March 13, 2009 at 1:58 PM  

    Welcome to the PFS Skye. Great interview. Your book covers are gorgeous and the stories sound great. You have my undying admiration for being able to write with a three-year old darling beside you. I had one during last week and she didn't let me sit in front of my computer even for an hour.

  17. Skhye // March 13, 2009 at 2:10 PM  

    LOL, Mona. Mine just wants me to sit in the computer chair while she plays internet games. I subscribe to scientific kid magazines and want her to play with all the free online games. So, I guess I have to bite the bullet and supervise during game time!

    BTW, I post the links to all the educational games online every couple of weeks. http://blog.skhyemoncrief.com
    I hate that children everywhere don't know about all the cool games!

  18. Nightingale // March 13, 2009 at 2:18 PM  

    A think a writer must be something of a recluse. How old is your daughter? I dropped by another blog yesterday and you were talking about her. Look forward to reading your Arthur tale -- a masterpiece! Wow. Congrats on the review.

  19. Nightingale // March 13, 2009 at 2:19 PM  
    This comment has been removed by the author.
  20. Skhye // March 13, 2009 at 2:27 PM  

    My daughter will be 4 at the end of July. She's into getting dizzy today. And eating those Scottish Oatcakes that I made this morning! Thanks for stopping by, Linda.

  21. Mary Marvella // March 13, 2009 at 3:53 PM  

    Skhye, your interview reminded me how different we writers are, almost like in the real world.

    One of our ladies posted an oat cake recipe earlier. Could yours be as yummy?

    I don't have any little ones around, but I get little work done when I stay with my daughter's dogs at her house.

    Thanks for being our guest and thanks Mary R. for bringing Skhye!

    Mama Mary

  22. Anonymous // March 13, 2009 at 4:19 PM  

    Yes, Mary M. That's the recipe! I ate one about 9 AM and have been full all day. Maybe I'll get somewhere on my diet now! So, now I truly understand how oats saved Scotland!

  23. Scarlet Pumpernickel // March 13, 2009 at 5:29 PM  

    Fairies, fey and Athur! Oh dear! sounds like my kind of book. Gotta get a copy to read. Great interview. Skhye and Mary, thanks so much for sharing.

    Scarlet

  24. Anonymous // March 13, 2009 at 5:35 PM  

    Thanks, Scarlet P.

  25. Debra St. John // March 13, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

    Gourds, huh? Interesting! Great interview, as always, Skhye!

  26. Anonymous // March 13, 2009 at 5:54 PM  

    Thanks, Debra. Fear not the gourds. Now, pubic wigs are something else...

  27. Tamara LeBlanc // March 14, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

    Hello Skhye.
    I truly enjoyed your interview and I love your name, very cool.
    Thanks for visiting the PFSW!
    Best luck in the future.
    Tamara

  28. Anonymous // March 14, 2009 at 8:48 AM  

    Thanks, Tamara. My name is a numerological twist on Skye. My Time Guardians use numerology to time travel. I figured it couldn't hurt to slap a lucky rabbit's foot in a pseudonym on the covers!

    Thanks for having me over yesterday, Mary! It was fun.

  29. Debbie Kaufman // March 14, 2009 at 9:52 AM  

    Wow Skhye. What a great review. I want one just like it! Of course, I don't have an Arthur figure... Thanks for sharing.

  30. Judith Keim // March 14, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

    How nice to have you with us Skhye! Your stories sound wonderful! Thanks for coming by.

  31. Anonymous // March 14, 2009 at 5:45 PM  

    Thanks, Debbie & Judy. I'm certain you'll get one of those reviews, Debbie!