Traffic -- AARGH

Posted by Nightingale | 9:22 AM | , , , , , | 6 comments »


TRAFFIC, need I say more. Okay, anyone who lives in a big city (and even smaller ones) hates traffic. Patience, I'm counseled. Somewhere along the years, I hit the delete key on patience or maybe like a sense of direction I was simply born without.

So on with my raving. I work in the Medical Center in Houston. When my commute of 10 miles takes an hour, I feel I'm justified in wanting to drag the guy who just ran up on my bumper from his car and beat him with his cell phone.

Then there's the interstate, God help us. I've always been a sports car enthusiast (make that car crazy—if it has two seats and four wheels, count me in). I've owned a Jaguar XKE, an MGB, a Triumph TR6, now drive a Mazdaspeed Miata, a turbo-charged roadster. Whipping a nimble convertible around mountain roads is fun. Getting on Highway 59 North in rush hour is suicide.

Several times, when I bred Andalusian horses, I visited Los Angeles for shows or looking at prospective purchases. A friend took me on an adventure on an LA interstate. Ten years ago in the City of Angels, you planned your entire day around traffic. I swore I'd never live in a city where my life revolved around seas of taillights. Never say never.

My ex is British and when someone chatters on endlessly, he asks, "What are you rabbiting on about?"

So that's my rabbit-on for the day. Happy motoring. And as the suspect ending to this little rant, I saw a bumper sticker on a truck here in Texas: Keep Honking. I'm reloading.

6 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // March 24, 2008 at 10:47 AM  

    Man I'm glad I live in the country. Our idea of heavy traffic in town (and we do complain!) pales to nothingness in comparison to your horrific description. Flee to the hills, Linda!

  2. Nightingale // March 24, 2008 at 12:21 PM  

    I'd love to escape! Might just hitch the piano behind the car and Eastward Ho to Virginia!

  3. Beth Trissel // March 24, 2008 at 3:28 PM  

    You should! You should!

  4. Mary Marvella // March 25, 2008 at 1:11 AM  

    I've visited Linda in Houston and it's scary!

    I live north of Atlanta in an area that was country when I moved here. I'd almost rather be shot with SH** than drive in big city traffic. I must say it seemed much worse in Boston many years ago when I lived there for a year.

  5. Nightingale // March 27, 2008 at 9:55 PM  

    Dear Mary,

    Bumper to bumper on I-85 at 70 mph+ isn't scary? I love Atlanta but LeMans is safer!

  6. Mary Marvella // March 28, 2008 at 10:54 PM  

    I was much younger when I drove in Boston. I sang hymns all the way to and from work. My fav was "Nearer My God to Thee". Those folks came at me from all directions and aimed at me like I had a bullseye on my Mustang! I didn't even have a rebel flag, either.