Easter and shopping for bargains the day after.

Posted by Mary Marvella | 12:57 AM | 5 comments »

Me in my first Easter outfit. Mama made the dress from flower sack fabric and the shoes were probably hand-me-downs. They were definitely bought with ration coupons. World War II was raging and many things were rationed in the US. People couldn't run out and buy lots of shoes. I was in school before I could have dressy patent leather shoes for church.

EASTER BASKETS

I love creating Easter baskets, but my daughter seems to have outgrown them. We'll see if she mentions wanting one next year, since I just handed her stuff this year. For me it's about selecting a cool variety of little toys and goodies.

I've always tried to find certain Easter candy on sale the day after Easter. I freeze the chocolate covered marshmallow bunnies and eggs. At half price they taste good, but when I find them cheaper, they taste great.

More as the day progresses!


SHARE!

5 comments

  1. Mona Risk // March 23, 2008 at 10:13 AM  

    Keep creating your Easter basket. I'm sure they will make a kid very happy. Easter traditions are wonderful. Happy Easter.

  2. Beth Trissel // March 23, 2008 at 2:30 PM  

    Darling pic, Mary. My favorite Easter memory is when I was six and our family had recently returned from a three year stint in Taiwan where my parents taught English at the University. American Easter traditions were marvelously new to me and I revelled in the jewel-like eggs hidden among glowing daffodils and purple and white striped crocus.

    This year I made up Easter baskets for my college freshman daughter to share with her Dad, my three grandbabies, and three little nieces. So, a lot of fun!

  3. Helen Scott Taylor // March 23, 2008 at 2:49 PM  

    Mary, a cute pic. Isn't it strange to think about rationing now when we all have so much?

  4. Nightingale // March 24, 2008 at 9:18 AM  

    Mary, don't try to tell us that sweet little darling is you. :-) Thanks for the nostalgic look at Easters Past.

  5. Mary Marvella // March 25, 2008 at 1:14 AM  

    You mean you didn't recognize the hairless urchin, Linda?