Linda with her 3 homeschooled children.


YES!!! If you do not have a good relationship with your children/ are not willing to work on it. You should NOT homeschool.

When you and your husband are not on same page about discipline/educational choices etc. You should NOT homeschool. Dad needs to be on board. You get enough discouraging words from the outside.

If you are not a good disciplinarian/not willing to change in this area, If you NO isn't No and your YES - yes, you need to think hard about whether homeschooling is for you. What are you going to do when this kid rebels and just wants to play all day- you think he is studing in his room and he is playing. What will you do when he scribbles up his paper and says, I don't want to do this. You are stupid, I don't like this.

If you aren't willing to be a learner yourself you should not homeschool.

If you will not be consistant you shouldn't homeschool. These people are few but I've talk to public school teachers who tell me of parents who pull their kids in and out of public school. It is a committment-- if you aren't will to be committed-- do not homeschool.

Homeschool moms need to be creative. That can be a learned skill- doesn't come naturally for all. Homeschooling takes great effort. I've had many a day when I thought I was going crazy. I've wanted to run away from home, what mom hasn't, homeschool or not. I've wanted to duct tape them to their chairs in their rooms. I've never done it. I've had relatives - my mom- who thought I was nuts for homeschooling, gave me little jabs here and there, never really listened. At first my mom-in-law was skeptical but she became my best supporter. She gave us educational things as gifts. She gave me a compliment last time I was with her- thrilled me to pieces- she told me she thought our children had turned out wonderful. I should have had a houseful because I had been a good mom. (I've never heard a peep out of my side. I am the strange one- who was in military, who homeschools, who has strange ideas ) Oh well, we keep on smiling and enjoying our children. I really don't give myself a lot of credit for this, I am certain real human. Some days not so good. I love home education after 23yrs, and graduating my last child, I can say I'd still do it again. I am helping to homeschool a friend's granddaughter, who is 14.

You will notice- I didn't say, if you child doesn't want to homeschool you shouldn't . As parent we know our child best, we know what fits them best. A lot of kids really struggle in school. Our responsibility is their education- not the states- we can delegate it there if we wish. We need to do our home work, there are areas, there are schools putting out children who can not read, do not know their geography, and do not write well enough- even for a job application.

3 comments

  1. Anonymous // February 3, 2008 at 8:38 AM  

    Enjoyed your words on homeschooling. Thank goodness it's an option and heaven help us if public school ever becomes the only option.

  2. Helen Scott Taylor // February 3, 2008 at 6:20 PM  

    Linda, I have tremendous respect for parents who homeschool as I wouldn't have the patience. One of my son's best friends was taken out of school over a year ago and he is being homeschooled by his family. He is doing very well and enjoys learning at home. He does miss his friends, though.

  3. Sherry Morris // February 3, 2008 at 9:48 PM  

    Great slant, Linda. You give us lots to think about.