With us today is our very own Helen Scott Taylor still going strong in the American Title Contest. Helen, tell us about your story:

This year the American Title contest featured paranormal romance. I entered my story The Magic Knot about fairies set in Ireland and Cornwall.

Do you have a short blurb for your finaling manuscript?

When Rose discovers she is the Cornish fairy queen and her father is a dark druid who has imprisoned her people in portraits, the race is on to discover the fairy lore needed to release her people before her father destroys them forever.

She seeks help from the sinfully sexy Irish fairy twins, the O’Connor brothers. Niall’s faint air of menace flutters dark thrills of anticipation through her, but does he want to kiss her or kill her when she accidentally touches his Magic Knot and forges a mystical lovers’ bond with him?

You have been through four rounds of voting are now in the middle of the fifth and final round. What has the contest been like?

Stressful! Although all my wonderful friends and family have been very supportive. I cope by keeping busy and doing all I can to drum up support. If I’m sure I’ve done my best to win, then I’ll be happy with the outcome. I’m also delighted to have met the other nine finalists and made a new group of friends. We have set up an American Title IV finalists' blog together at www.titlemagic.blogspot.com.

If you win, what happens then?

The winner of American Title is announced during the awards lunch at the Romantic Times conference in April. I’ve been told it is exciting as they have the cover for the winning book designed and it is unveiled when the winner is announced. I think the winning book is then published about a year later. Sleeping with Ward Cleaver, the American Title III winner by Jenny Gardiner, has just been published.

If you don’t win, where does that leave you?

Whatever the final result, it was a tremendous boost to have The Magic Knot selected by the Dorchester editors as one of the ten finalists. It has only been seen by one other publisher, so if I don’t win, I’ll start sending it out. I’m also hard at work on a YA paranormal mystery. It’s a lot of fun writing in the POV of a fifteen-year-old boy!

How did you feel about being front and center in the Romantic Times magazine?

I thought I’d hate seeing my picture in print, as I’m not especially photogenic. To my surprise, I don’t mind at all. In fact, it’s exciting to have my entries in hard copy to keep, and know they’ve been read by many RT readers.

If you win what’s the first thing you are going to do to celebrate?

Eat something containing a lot of calories—probably chocolate. Come to think of it, that’s probably the first thing I’ll do if I lose as well. I’ll phone my family and email all my writing friends to tell them. Then I’ll go for a celebratory dinner with my family. Then I’ll book myself a ticket to the Romantic Times conference!

Tell us about the final round?

The final round of American Title IV is best love/romantic scene. I’d love everyone to take a look at the two final entries when voting starts on the Romantic Times website. Although I want to win, of course, I would never ask anyone to vote for my scene unless they liked it. So, if you have time, please read both scenes, and vote for the one you enjoy the most. And fingers and toes crossed it’s mine. J

Voting in the fifth and final round of American Title IV runs from February 18th until March 2nd at www.romantictimes/news_amtitle3.php

For more information on Helen Scott Taylor please visit www.helenscotttaylor.com

Wishing you all the luck, Helen. Not that you need it. I've read Magic Knot and loved it.



7 comments

  1. Liz Jasper // February 23, 2008 at 4:04 PM  

    Sandra, How did you get to read the whole of Magic Knot? I've only gotten to read pages. I guess that's Helen's sneaky way of ensuring my vote--getting me hooked and making me vote so I can buy the rest of it when it's published.
    Go Helen!!!

  2. Beth Trissel // February 23, 2008 at 4:30 PM  

    I vote for eating chocolate no matter what. :)
    Helen, great interview, so glad you've made it this far in the contest and am cheering you on!

  3. Sandra Cox // February 23, 2008 at 6:26 PM  

    Hey Liz,
    Lets say I've read most of it:) Helen and I were in the same crit group for awhile. This is just an excellent story.

  4. Mary Marvella // February 24, 2008 at 12:36 AM  

    Hope the magic works for the Magic Knot. So far so good!

    Good interview, too!

  5. Mona Risk // February 24, 2008 at 4:57 PM  

    I read the whole story. Magic Knot is an amazing story you won't be able to put down once you start reading.

  6. Helen Scott Taylor // February 24, 2008 at 6:12 PM  

    Sandra, thank you for posting my interview.

    Thank you all so much for the congratulation, cheers and support.

    Whatever the question, chocolate is the answer!

    But if I'm attending the RT convention I might have to forego chocolate for a few weeks because a crash diet is necessary.

    Fingers firmly crossed!

  7. Josie // February 26, 2008 at 12:59 PM  

    Hurray for you, Helen! I have read most of this wonderful story. We're all cheering for you!