Monkey Bread

Posted by debjulienne | 12:24 PM | 10 comments »


Monkey Bread


Thanksgiving wouldn't be Thanksgiving without Monkay Bread to start the day. In fact my kids would probably abandon ship if I didn't make it. During their teen years I had to make 2 in order to fill them up until turkey time.

Ingredients:

Bread
(3) frozen loaves of Bridgeport Frozen Bread (slightly thawed)
1-1/2 sticks of butter
1 cup cinnamon
2-3 tablespoons cinnamon (depending on how you like it)

Frosting
3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla
Instructions:
Spray bundt pan with pam, lightly sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, set aside.
Melt butter in microwave until melted.
Cut each loaf into 1 inch circles, then quarter.
Dip quarter in butter, covering all sides, drop in bottom of pan.
After you make a circle with bread touching, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar then start the next row.
Place this next row on each side of the existing row, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.
Continue until bread is gone. Should just about fill pan.

I use the remaining butter and drizzle over the top, making sure all areas are covered with cinnamon and sugar.
Place on stove top, cover and let rise. (2 to 3 hours)

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Place bundt pan on cookie sheet. Bake for 15 minutes, give half turn, bake another 10-15 depending on how brown it gets. You want it a nice golden brown, but some areas will appear burnt because of the cinnamon cooking.

Frosting:
3 cups powdered sugar in a bowl, add vanilla and whipping cream...if it's too thin add a bit more sugar. If it's too thick add a bit more milk.

When bread is done, turn out onto Large plate, and while still hot drizzle the frosting over top.

Serve hot.

10 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // November 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM  

    Sounds delicious. And such an old Southern recipe.

  2. Mary Marvella // November 28, 2013 at 2:01 PM  

    Wow! I love the recipes you have shared!

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 28, 2013 at 2:50 PM  

    I used to make monkey bread, although this looks like a different recipe. I will have to give it a try. Looks like a great brunch recipe. Thanks for sharing!

  4. debjulienne // November 29, 2013 at 11:47 AM  

    Beth, My mom's family is from Mississippi and Texas...I love the old recipes, can't get enough of them.

  5. debjulienne // November 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM  

    Mary, These recipes are all my favorites...often used, and the family can't do without them

  6. debjulienne // November 29, 2013 at 11:48 AM  

    Scarlet, I've tried several recipes, this is the one I think tastes best. Hope you like it.

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM  

    Deb, I collect old recipes as well. In fact, many are family recipes that have been handed down through the years. I'm toying with the idea of writing a cookbook using family recipes with stories about each dish.

  8. Josie // December 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM  

    Your recipe looks fabulous and my two grown adult sons will probably love it.

  9. debjulienne // December 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM  

    @ Scarlet, me took alreayd have the name, just not enought recipes...and I'm adding stories as well

  10. debjulienne // December 2, 2013 at 6:27 PM  

    @ Josie, if your boys are like mine, it will be gone in minutes.