Up early this morning, after a late night last night. First thing was breakfast with several friends, Sandra Chastain, Anne Howard White, Doreen Graham and some new friends as well.

Then off to the first workshop to hear Nina Bruhns, aka Nikita Black, talk about her journey as a best seller in traditional, e-pub, self-pub, digital and now indie publishing. Her workshop was called "Indie is the new Black: A Digital Publishing Pioneer Shares Over a Decade of Experience." Nina did not hold back, she told it all and answered all questions to the best of her knowledge. Great information, Nina is a spectacular author and great speaker. She is also a fellow member of Kiss of Death, got to get my little plug in here for KOD.

Next I had to change gears, settle my nerves and focus for my pitch to the Kensington editor. Pitch went well, got a nibble on the WIP.

Took me a few minutes to calm down after revving up for the pitch, but once my breathing returned to normal I went into the last half of Haywood Smith's "How to Write Comedy" workshop. Haywood is a scream and her books are not to be missed. If you love great southern writing and witty humor Haywood is your girl.

Lunch again with great friends and met new ones. Even found one blogger who actually follows Scarlet on Facebook! Imagine that, we were talking over lunch and suddenly she said, hey wait, I think I follow you. Sure enough, she remember reading about the release of "5 Easy Lessons to Improve Your Child's Reading." Amazing! This wonderful new friend has a wonderful blog that you simply must check out! Ravishing Romances is the blog and Musing Sallie is the blogger. Be sure to check her out. www.RavishingRomances.com.

Junkyard Forensics was the next workshop I attended. Sheryl McCollum gave hands on demonstrations of how to take latent finger prints and use super glue to make them show up as if by magic. I am speechless this workshop was so good. Heheheh we took a field trip with a black light. Ask me where we went.

Finally, I attended Julia Quinn's Dialogue Workshop and enjoyed every minute. She does not hate all adverbs. Thank you Julia. As MM will tell you, I am quite found of my adverbs. The structure for creating all the taglines, action tags, emotion tag and how to place action tags was great information for future reference.

The cash bar and cocktail party is going now, and Scarlet absolutely must make an appearance! TTFN

11 comments

  1. Mona Risk // October 5, 2012 at 9:23 PM  

    You guys are having fun I wish I was there. How many are you?

  2. Patrice Wilton // October 5, 2012 at 10:08 PM  

    What fun! Congrats on your Kensington request, and I know how nerve wracking it is. Enjoy the conference, and network, network!

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM  

    Mona, wish you could be here with us too. Barbara, MM, Hildie and Scarlet are in attendence.This has been a great conference. I'm connected with so many old friends. I have two more pitches scheduled tomorrow.

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 5, 2012 at 11:44 PM  

    Patrice, I'm working it girlfriend!

  5. Mary Marvella // October 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM  

    Yay! I am back for the duration! Tutored last evening, this morning and this aftermoon. Made a pitch between tutoring sessions and got a request for a full.

  6. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 6, 2012 at 11:26 AM  

    Three for three! Scarlet is on a roll.Got requests for two fulls and one partial (because a partial is all I have at present of the WIP) This has been a wonderful conference, with stil more to come. Tonight is the Maggie presentations (I didn't enter this year) and afterward there is a DJ and dancing. GRW will rock the night away. Sunday morning we have a super workshop planned with Jeffrey Stepakoff "Master Class in Story Structure." What a weekend!

  7. Mary Ricksen // October 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM  

    I gotta know. What's with the blacklight??
    Good luck with the pitches!!
    Knock em out girl!

  8. Mary Marvella // October 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM  

    Julia Quinn was the luncheon speaker today. Awesome lady!


    Oh, now I have one request for a full and one for a partial! 2 for 2

  9. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 6, 2012 at 2:19 PM  

    Mary, the blacklight when used in low light make any type body fluid fluoresce when the blacklight strikes it. Of course we took the field trip to the men's room to see what we could see! The hotel had cleaned the restroom really well and there was no evidence to be seen. We did not take the blacklight up to the hotel rooms. Did you know that an over ripe banana will fluoresce under a black light?

  10. Scarlet Pumpernickel // October 7, 2012 at 7:31 PM  

    Well, the conference is over and I'm home. Very tired, but energized to begin working on the wip anew! M&M Conference was the greatest. Now if I can just get everything sent out. Had lunch with my agent. She is going to send things out for me. MM was the life of the party in her medieval dress and matching jewels!

  11. Mary Marvella // October 8, 2012 at 12:33 AM  

    I had no idea, Scarlet!