Welcome Barbara Barrett

Posted by Judith Keim | 10:58 AM | 56 comments »


Good morning! I’m so excited that Barbara Barrett has agreed to join Pink Fuzzies for a morning chat. Her debut novel, The Sleepover Clause, a Crimson Romance, is an ebook that will be out and available through B&N, Amazon and iTunes on September 3rd. However it can be pre-ordered on Amazon today!! I’m hoping we can give her a good send-off!

Welcome, Barbara! Love the cover!


Barbara, like so many people, I’m curious to know why you decided to become a writer.

I tended to ignore the early signs that I was meant to be a writer. My fifth grade teacher singled out my writing. In sixth grade, an essay I wrote about my imaginary travels to France was printed in the local newspaper. I placed second in a national essay contest when I was fifteen. And I wrote a weekly column, “Teen Talk,” for that same paper, the Burlington Hawk-Eye, when I was in high school.

And after that?

Writing fiction helped me avoid a midlife crisis. Actually it was the character of a romance writer on a daytime drama that inspired me to consider this particular genre. If I’m being honest, it was the glamour and acclaim that had me writing those first words. A few thousand words later, the quest for glamour and acclaim had long faded, but along the way, I discovered my passion. Even though I liked my day job, I’d finally found what I was meant to do.  That drive kept me going for the next several years through numerous rejections, low contest scores and a bout with breast cancer. 

I probably would have given up after the first few years of writing, had I not joined Romance Writers of America and begun to learn my craft and more about the publishing business and gained the support of a huge network of writers fulfilling their dreams the same way.

And what else do you enjoy doing?

I’m a movie buff who still has aspirations of writing screenplays someday. My interests include interior design and cooking, so spare time is spent watching HGTV and the Food Network, when I’m not dabbling in those areas myself. Since moving to Florida, I’ve learned to play Mah Jongg and have recently introduced the game to my Iowa friends.

I’m so excited for you! Tell us about The Sleepover Clause.

The Sleepover Clause is the tale of an interior decorator who hides out in the Iowa town of Burlington while the ruckus caused by a job gone wrong on the West Coast dies down. She can’t resist meddling in the personal affairs of the three brothers who own the customized motor coach company where she has been sent to finish the interior of her sister’s touring coach. The younger brother, in particular, to whom she is attracted, needs prodding to tell his brothers how much he’d rather sit for the bar than work with on motor coaches. It’s only when her problems in California track her down that he considers returning to the lawbooks.

Just what is the Sleepover Clause? When the brothers make her to agree to a list of “conditions” for working in their garage, she retaliates with her own list of requirements, one of which is that they provide her with sleeping quarters for those nights when she has to stay late. Though she never intended to invoke the option, before long, she finds herself a “guest” in the firehouse cum garage, which is also the brothers’ living quarters.

Why Motor Coaches? To be truthful, I’d never thought much about them.

When a country music star brought her show to town, the reviewer on our local newspaper devoted part of his story to describing the motor coach that had been customized just for her. The article initiated one of those "what if's" in my brain, the kind that set the writer's mind percolating. What if I set a story in one of those rigs? Loved the idea but I still needed a hook.

About that same time, I became a fan of HGTV, especially the interior design shows. Somehow, the two thoughts married up and took me to another "what if": what if the star insisted on having her own interior designer finish the interior? And just to make things more interesting, what if said designer was claustrophobic?

And what if I set the story in my home state of Iowa and gave it a fish-out-of-water theme: an Angelino with attitude, who within four hours of her arrival in the Hawkeye state pronounces that Iowa sucks? I had great fun throwing her into one seeming catastrophe after another, threatening her with June bugs, an attack of mayflies, and being smoked out of a fire house.

Don’t miss this new book and author! The Sleepover Clause is a fun, fast-paced read with well-drawn characters written with a great insight into people. Barbara’s website is   www.Barbarabarrettbooks.com. Her email is Barbarabarrett747@gmail.com. She can also be found on Twitter: @bbarrettbooks.

56 comments

  1. Judith Keim // August 22, 2012 at 11:00 AM  

    So glad you could join us, Barbara!

  2. Mary Marvella // August 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM  

    Barbara, I loved your blog! I told my stories from the time I could talk instead of writing them. Your book sounds like a hoot! I know I'll enjoy it! I started writing seriously in 1991 and finally Indie published!

  3. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 12:19 PM  

    Thanks for inviting me, Judy. I'm delighted to be here.

  4. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 12:22 PM  

    Thanks, Mary. I hope you enjoy the book. And congrats on the indie publish.

  5. Cheryl Mansfield // August 22, 2012 at 12:41 PM  

    Barb, fun post and the book sounds wonderful..looking forward to getting my copy.

  6. Jan Olson // August 22, 2012 at 1:07 PM  

    I am proud to call Barbara my very dear friend and am looking forward to reading her book.

  7. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 1:10 PM  

    Thanks, Cheryl. Glad you could stop by.

  8. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 1:12 PM  

    Aw, shucks, my dear friend, Jan. Thanks for coming online to check this out.

  9. Autumn Jordon // August 22, 2012 at 1:17 PM  

    The 'what if' bug bit you. Cool. I love when that happens. Congrats on your new release, it does sound like a great end of the summer read.

  10. Leigh Duncan // August 22, 2012 at 1:40 PM  

    Barbara, I'm thrilled--thrilled!--for you. Can't wait to read The Sleepover Clause!

  11. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 1:46 PM  

    Autumn,that's right. It's being released on Labor Day. What better way to enjoy the holiday? Thanks for dropping by.

  12. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 1:47 PM  

    Leigh, thanks, it really has been a thrill all summer to experience the publishing process.

  13. Alexa // August 22, 2012 at 1:56 PM  

    Congratulations on your upcoming release!

  14. Loretta Wheeler // August 22, 2012 at 1:58 PM  

    eBarbara,
    What a fun blog!;) I loved the whole concept of The Sleepover Clause:) And, how unusual, I love interior design also:) What a neat way of pulling your two talents together:)

    Lo

  15. Mary K. Norris // August 22, 2012 at 2:10 PM  

    Great interview, Barbara! And congrats on the upcoming release!

  16. Sarah Andre // August 22, 2012 at 2:11 PM  

    It's on my calendar to buy...circled and starred!

    Looks like a REALLY neat premise, Barb. Best of luck in sales.

  17. Sharleen // August 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM  

    I have already pre-ordered my copy and cannot wait to read it! Barbara is a long time friend of mine and I am so happy for her!

  18. Beth Trissel // August 22, 2012 at 2:26 PM  

    Fascinating background to your writing, Barbara. Like you, I was writing since gradeschool but didn't really tackle novels until 40. What a journey you've had. Your new story sounds super. Congrats!

  19. Terri Ponce // August 22, 2012 at 2:43 PM  

    I love the story behind the story that you shared, Barbara. Sounds like you had fun writing this one, even if it was also hard work. :-)

  20. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 3:00 PM  

    Thanks for stopping by, Loretta. Don't know if interior design is really my talent, although I did take a college class in it pass/fail and passed! Since I live near the Disney Parks in Florida, for the last two years I've taken advantage of seeing the visiting presentors from HGTV during the Home and Garden Festival each spring. What a treat!

  21. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 3:02 PM  

    Thanks for dropping by, Alexa.

  22. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM  

    Thanks, Mary K.

  23. Sandy Parks // August 22, 2012 at 3:04 PM  

    The title snagged me and the story idea sounds delightful. Can't wait to read it. PS. I didn't know you were a movie buff.

  24. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 3:05 PM  

    Sarah, can't wait for you to read it.

  25. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 3:08 PM  

    Sharleen, thanks for the pre-order. I hope you enjoy the book. I'm sure I talked about it at some time while we worked together. Were you there the day I asked for input on the "hot tub" scene?

  26. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 3:10 PM  

    Beth, I like your reference to my "journey." It has been fun to share some of that today.

  27. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 3:13 PM  

    eqmerne 116Terri, I did have a lot of fun doing the story, and now that it's going to be published, I've been reconnecting a bit with my hometown, where the book is set.

  28. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 3:15 PM  

    Sandy, one of my favorite parts of writing is coming up with the titles. I'm glad my publisher let me keep this one. And yes, I'm really into movies, although I've been pretty busy this summer and have only seen three.

  29. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 3:17 PM  

    That was me, writing as "Unknown" in that note to Sandy.

  30. Meb Bryant // August 22, 2012 at 3:26 PM  

    Barbara,
    I love the premise of your story. The "what ifs" of life make the best stories.
    I must admit I'm a big fan of HGTV and got addicted to entering their contests to win that year's Dream Home Getaway.
    If I win, you and all my writer friends are invited over for a sleepover.

  31. Nightingale // August 22, 2012 at 3:53 PM  

    Enjoyed meeting you! The Sleepover Clause sounds absolutely intriguing. And the cover is great.

  32. Kristen Painter // August 22, 2012 at 4:47 PM  

    Great cover, Barbara!

  33. RT Wolfe // August 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM  

    Hello, Barbara!
    I am a big movie-goer, too. I see the monster movies with my teenage son-so fun, the romantic comedies with my husband (he is such a girl!) and the action movies with the whole family. Best wishes on your new release!
    -R.T. Wolfe
    www.rtwolfe.com
    Black Creek Burning (Crimson, September 2012)

  34. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 6:03 PM  

    Meb, Good luck with the HGTV Dream Home contest. I'd love to come visit for a sleepover. I entered the ones for the apartments in New York City and Chicago. Thanks for dropping by.

  35. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 6:04 PM  

    Nightingale, I agree. I love the cover. They really got it right.

  36. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM  

    Thanks, Kristen. I remember when we talked about the colors we wanted for our covers at a past meeting. These were all on my list, so I'm happy.

  37. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM  

    RT, As you can probably tell from my book, the romantic comedies are my favorites. But I really haven't seen anything along those lines that I really liked for quite some time. Maybe I should get started on my screenplay soon and fill that void.

  38. Barbara Monajem // August 22, 2012 at 6:14 PM  

    What a great book premise, Barbara -- and a fun title, too. :~)

    We watch some of those interior design shows, too. Sometimes I love the result, but sometimes I wonder if the interior decorator is a little bit nuts!!

  39. Cynthia D'Alba // August 22, 2012 at 6:55 PM  

    Hi Barb! Great interview. I love the setting of the high-end coaches! Sounds like a fun read. Can't wait to dive in.

    Looking forward to seeing you in FL!

  40. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM  

    Barbara,you must be referring to David Bromstad. Love his show but probably could never live in one of the rooms he decorates. Glad you like the premise.

  41. Barbara // August 22, 2012 at 10:09 PM  

    Cynthia,Those rigs fascinate me, too. I'd love to hitch a ride on one some time.

  42. Donnell Ann Bell // August 23, 2012 at 12:55 AM  

    Love the title, love the premise, and with the author every success. Very interesting interview. Good luck, Barbara!

  43. Sparkle Abbey // August 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM  

    Love the premise of the story, Barb, and it was fun to hear how the idea was born. So excited for you! Can't wait to read the book - it's on pre-order. :-)

  44. Laurie Cooper // August 23, 2012 at 10:29 AM  

    Barbara, I'm thrilled for you! I'm looking forward to reading your book. I also enjoy screenwriting, but rarely find time to devote to it.

  45. Barbara // August 23, 2012 at 11:26 AM  

    Thanks, Donnell. I appreciate your support and glad you like the title and premise.

  46. Barbara // August 23, 2012 at 11:27 AM  

    Marylee, Thanks for taking time in your very busy schedule for Sparkle Abbey to drop by and leave a comment.

  47. Barbara // August 23, 2012 at 11:29 AM  

    Laurie, I've been trying to convert one of my yet-unpubbed mss to a screenplay. Since I love writing dialogue, that part's not as difficult as deciding which scenes to keep and where I need to add. But one of these days I hope to get back to it.

  48. Bellina // August 23, 2012 at 1:54 PM  

    That is such an original idea for a story. No wonder it was snapped up! Nice post.

  49. Brenda Sparks // August 23, 2012 at 5:57 PM  

    Barb, your books sounds wonderful! I can't wait to read it. Thanks for stopping by to let us know all about it and about you. Best of luck with your debut!!

  50. Kara // August 24, 2012 at 1:36 PM  

    Great interview! Congratulations on your upcoming release! Can't wait to read it!
    Kara

  51. Josie // August 24, 2012 at 8:23 PM  

    Welcome, Barbara, to our Pink Fuzzy slipper blog. I'm a movie buff, also. Sincere congrats on your indie publication. I'm sure you'll do really well.

  52. Barbara // August 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM  

    Bellina, Thanks. I'm glad you like the premise.

  53. Barbara // August 25, 2012 at 1:18 PM  

    Brenda, Thanks for the good wishes. Good luck on your book as well.

  54. Barbara // August 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM  

    Thanks, Kara. I hope you enjoy the book.

  55. Barbara // August 25, 2012 at 1:21 PM  

    Josie, Thanks for the warm welcome to this blog I'm getting very excited about the launch. Just 9 days away now.

  56. Mary Ricksen // August 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM  

    Can't wait to read it. Congratulations!