"I'm bored." by Maxine Davis

Posted by Mary Marvella | 1:53 AM | 31 comments »


“I’m bored…” Maxine whined.
"What did you say?" Mary asked.
"I'm bored," Maxine complained.
"Really? I'll give you something to do."
Maxine rolled her blue eyes at Mary's stern look.
(just kidding)

Maxine agreed to share her time with us today, so make her feel welcome! Have some iced tea?
by Maxine Davis

         Actually, I’m not the one who’s bored.  I’m very happy with my life.  Sometimes I even wish I had more time to do what I enjoy.  It’s summertime and school is out.  I’m talking about the mothers out there who tell me they are already hearing, “Mom, I’m bored.  There’s nothing to do.”  Whine, pout, and sit there and glare at mom like it’s her fault.

         While I can’t tell you specifically what there is to do in your neck of the woods, I tell you some of the things available here in Middle Georgia, and you may find the same things going on in your neighborhood. 

         First of all, when I was a “kid,” it was a given that I’d attend Vacation Bible School during the summer.  It always turned out to be fun.  I loved the crafts we did. Oh, yeah, and the Bible study was good J.

         The City of Macon has a variety of sports programs available for kids.  This includes city-run and privately operated programs for various sports such as soccer, martial arts, track and field or football.  You need to contact the city or county Recreation Department.

         For the younger set, some KinderCare programs offer a summer camp.   The theme for Summer 2012 is The Six Treasures of Summer:  Awesome Art, Mighty Bodies--Bendy Brains, The Wondrous World of Food, Wild About Water, Featured Creatures, Gravity Galore and More.  How can these be anything but fantastic?

         For the older set, the Board of Education offers summer enrichments.  The goal is to prevent “summer learning loss,” bring enrichment and character traits to the students and get to know other students.  At first, I thought if my parents had told me about this, I would have thought, “Just go ahead and shoot me,” but the names of these camps sound like fun:  Grossology, Mad Scientists, Princess Camp and Flight Camp, and Robotics Academy.

         If there is an adult or a trusted older child, there are numerous parks here.  Tobesofkee beach and lake or High Falls, just up the interstate, seem to be favorites.  Remember: some very capable college students like to earn money taking kids for a day trip. 

         There are picnics.  These could be combined with visiting historical places that you always hear about, or just go and enjoy.  Macon is full of historical offerings. 

There is usually a fund raiser going on somewhere.  Take part in it.  It’s a great learning tool for kids of all ages.

         And, lastly, I wouldn’t be a writer if the Library didn’t automatically pop into my mind.  They do offer some summer projects, and there are always really good books to read!

         It is, after all, summertime.  I’m a person who does not always have to be doing something to have fun.  Use that imagination!  Every single day should be ended with the thought of something you thoroughly enjoyed doing during your waking hours. 


Maxine Davis is a writer who has been awarded PRO status in Romance Writers of America (RWA) and Georgia Romance Writers (GRW). Maxine wrote solely for her own pleasure for many years until she joined GRW. She then began polishing some of her work and writing new material, with aspirations of becoming published.  She continues to write with a goal of publication.
Maxine is a retired educator–teaching and administration–who loves traveling to other states and countries as long as she can return to her native Georgia. Her hobbies include reading, crocheting , swimming, and spending time with friends, and (of course!) her husband and her dog, Tillie.

She blogs here
 I will ask Maxine questions and I want you to do so. Stop by to see what I ask and what she says.




31 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // August 8, 2012 at 1:55 AM  

    Question 1. Coffee or tea or soft drinks?

  2. Maxine Davis // August 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM  

    Just finished another cup of tea. It got me going for the day after tending to my dog who was feeling a little puny. I wondered if she was "bored" but don't think so.

  3. Mary Ricksen // August 8, 2012 at 3:42 PM  

    In the heat of summer it was the library in the suburbs. But on the farm there's nothing like a tire and a swimming place in the woods!
    Tea please...

  4. Mona Risk // August 8, 2012 at 4:00 PM  

    I had my granddaughters for 3 weeks in July. Anticipating this, "I'm bored" I kept them so busy with swimming in the pool, playing on the beach, wading in the ocea, playing chess, building lego, reading stories. At the end of the day, they were begging for some "quiet time, Nonna. Sit at your computer, please, while we watch TV." Yeah!

  5. Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn // August 8, 2012 at 4:16 PM  

    Tea for me. And considering the heat, make it iced. We put in a garden this year and I haven't had time to be bored. Like Mary R, I always had my head stuck in a book. Mama usually urged us outside, but even she knew that Texas summer heat would drive us back inside pretty quickly.

  6. Maxine Davis // August 8, 2012 at 4:24 PM  

    Mary R, Know what you mean. I love the library and books and more books. But you have a good point. I bet that tire and swimming place was hours of fun!

  7. Maxine Davis // August 8, 2012 at 4:26 PM  

    Mona, I want to come to your house and swim, play on the beach, wade in the ocean and all the rest - well, can't play chess, but sounds like they'll have fantastic memories.

  8. Maxine Davis // August 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM  

    Hi Carol, Yep, I have a garden, too. Not near as big as yours, but it's as big as I want lol. I've been in Texasr during the summer. Hot only starts to describe it. Of course, here in Middle Ga., the humidity and the heat take your breath away. Thanks for stopping by.

  9. Mary Marvella // August 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM  

    Tea for Mary R and I love a tire swing! My grandma in Mississippi had one.

  10. Mary Marvella // August 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM  

    Maxine, do you prefer your men wear boxers or briefs?

  11. Mary Marvella // August 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM  

    Mona, did they wear you out?

  12. Mary Marvella // August 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM  

    Carol and Maxine, I accept leftovers from gardens.

  13. Maxine Davis // August 8, 2012 at 7:52 PM  

    Mary, Let's see. Boxers or briefs. If none is not an option, then I'll take briefs ;)

  14. Barbara Monajem // August 8, 2012 at 8:09 PM  

    Grossology? That sounds wonderful, whatever it is. :)

  15. Maxine Davis // August 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM  

    Barbara, I know! But, really, if you had a choice between Grossology and Princess Camp, which would you pick? :)

  16. Maxine Davis // August 8, 2012 at 8:22 PM  

    Grossology!! I know! me too!

  17. Tami Brothers // August 8, 2012 at 8:41 PM  

    Hey Maxine! I'm grabbing a cup of coffee. I prefer it with a lot of flavored cream. ;)

    These are very cool. The Kid did a great job of NOT saying the Bored word. It was kind of fun watching and waiting to see if he would. But he ended up holding out better than me. :)

    School started last week and I have to admit it was a bit of relief for both of us. It was getting tough coming home from work and wanting to chill while he wanted to get out of the house. We did actually do a picnic once and a theme park, a few movies, and lots of ice cream.

    Thanks for sharing these with us.

    Tami

    ps - Like Maxine, if nothing is not an option, I'm going with briefs. :) :) :)

  18. Maxine Davis // August 8, 2012 at 8:44 PM  

    Tami, The Kid always has a fantastic summer! Hope hehas a good school year. I've read your books - I know you prefer "none." ;) Thanks for stopping.

  19. Josie // August 8, 2012 at 8:54 PM  

    Welcome, Maxine, and thanks to MM to inviting you to our Pink Fuzzy blog. There are lots of fun activities for kids and adults alike, so no excuses for ever saying "I'm bored."

  20. Mary Marvella // August 8, 2012 at 9:30 PM  

    None works for me!

  21. Maxine Davis // August 8, 2012 at 9:33 PM  

    I agree with you Josie. I need more time to get it all done. I have enjoyed guesting on Pink Fuzzy Slippers. I always enjoy this site so much!

  22. Maxine Davis // August 8, 2012 at 9:35 PM  

    Mary, No surprise there! I've read your books, too!

    Thank you so very much for inviting me. It's been fun and Pink Fuzzy Slippers is one of my favorite sites!

  23. Beth Trissel // August 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM  

    Hello Maxine. As we're reminiscing about good old summer days of childhood, I well remember weekly treks to the library, books stacked to my chin. We played outside a lot and sought out anything wet to wade or swim in. Vacation Bible school, check, and girl scout day camp, rattling along in an old bus with my Dad's Marine Corps canteen to drink tepid metallic tasting water out of.

  24. Patrice Wilton // August 8, 2012 at 10:58 PM  

    Hi Maxine, and welcome!
    I had the pleasure of babysitting my grandchildren for two weeks in July, one week with my son's daughter and the second with my daughter's two young children. Two of the girls are 5, and one is 2 and a half. Bible study for my son's daughter gave me 3 hours free time, and tennis/golf camp for my other 5 year old left me time to spend with the youngest child. Camps are great - kids love them, as do the mothers/grandmothers. We all survived, but whew! was it nice to have my life back!!

  25. Maxine Davis // August 9, 2012 at 5:28 AM  

    Beth, Thank you for commenting. Oh, yes, I never drank so much tepid water as I did at Girl Scout Camp, except mine wasn't a Marine Corp canteen - how neat! Mine was a plastic thermos. And the books that were read under a tree on an old bedspread - great memories. Thanks.

  26. Maxine Davis // August 9, 2012 at 5:30 AM  

    Patrice, Thank you so much! I'm enjoying it here at The Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers! You must be part saint. No children, but when nieces and nephews visited, I absolutely loved it - including those tail lights as they left and I sank into the nearest chair.

  27. Marilyn Baron // August 9, 2012 at 7:51 AM  

    Maxine,
    Love your post. You always do such a great job telling us about activities in cities you've visited or grown up in. I think, "I'm Bored," was my favorite expression when I was growing up. My mother didn't tolerate that. She always came up with dozens of activities my brother and sisters and I could get involved in, mostly outdoors. I remember enjoying Girl Scout Camp. I was a big reader even back then so that took up a lot of time. As far as coffee or tea, it's neither for me. I prefer hot chocolate although it's hard to imagine drinking that in this heat. Really enjoyed your blog. It was NOT BORING.

    Marilyn Baron

  28. Beth Trissel // August 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM  

    Lovely to have you with us Maxine. Come again soon. Enjoyed your shared tepid water memories at Girl Scout Camp. There's nothing like a vintage Marine Corps canteen from the Korean War. Reading certainly ranked high on my list of summertime pleasures as a child. Wonder how I got to be a writer. :)

  29. Mary Marvella // August 9, 2012 at 9:59 PM  

    Maxine, you are a success!

  30. Scarlet Pumpernickel // August 9, 2012 at 10:59 PM  

    Maxine, welcome to the pink fuzzies. we're tickled pink to have you stop by. Summer went by at light speed for me. We returned to school this week. It feels like we were just in class yesterday! There were so many things I wanted to do with my granddaughters that I just didn't get around to doing. It makes me sorry to know it will be so long before we can start over again. And boredom was not a word my grandmother tolerated well. One would never repeat it twic to her, once was more than enough. If yo claimed to be bored, she would get her huge button collection and up end it in the middle of the floor. It took hours to locate all the buttons! Nope, never bored with Mama!

  31. Mary Marvella // August 10, 2012 at 11:23 PM  

    Love that story!