Jesse Kimmel-Freeman Says Vampires Bite!

Posted by Mary Marvella | 11:55 PM | 18 comments »


Ladies, we have a fun guest today. Please help me welcome  Jesse. She came all the way from Alabama to visit.

Hey everyone! Thank you Pink Fuzzy Slipper Writers for having me. I always wonder what one should write for these things. In the end, I just end up rambling- a good way to get to know someone in my opinion. I'll try to avoid typos, but I just got a new keyboard because my 11 month old daughter felt the need to pull on the cord of the other one so much that it stopped working, but this new one is slightly smaller. Since it's smaller, it has totally thrown off my placement on the keys and the backspace key is the size of a regular key. Who does that? So many things have had numbers added to them because of some key I'm hitting on the keys next to the backspace. Yes, go ahead and laugh. I would.

Well, I suppose I should properly introduce myself. I'm Jesse Kimmel-Freeman. I've been an Indie writer since November 2011, when I decided to stop being a snob and self publish my book, Bella Notte. Yes, I will admit it, I was a snob and looked down on self-published authors. *Insert gasp here* It's true. We all learn things the hard way. Anyways, back to me. I originally from sunny Southern California. When my mom passed away, I packed up 25 years worth of stuff, threw it in storage and moved myself and family to a small town in Alabama. Now, wait, before you go wondering why anyone would do that, the answer is simple. Family. I wanted my son to continue to grow up with grandparents, and my hubby's family is here. I miss Los Angeles, but when we went back for a visit, I realized that living in a small town has ruined me for life. I can't handle the constant noise that accompanies living in the city. I now have a baby girl, and my 4 year old (I can't believe he is almost 5! And she's almost 1!) and we live in our own chaos.
 
I write young adult crossover books, paranormal romance, and illustrated children's books. I'm also working on a piratey book. Wow, I am a mess. It's hard to just write one thing. I have very vivid dreams and often that is where my ideas for books come from. Do you just dream about one thing? I hope not, that would be boring. I've just released the second book in my Bella Vampires Series. It's called Bella Vita (which means Beautiful Life, FYI). When I started writing that series, I had wanted it to be YA because I love reading it, but then I realized my characters would evolve past teens, so it became a crossover series. I'm working on the third one, Bella Tristezza (Beautiful Sadness). In case you're wondering, the first one is called Bella Notte (Beautiful Night).  Didn't I mention I ramble?

Anyways, I'm always looking for more people interested in my written worlds. Feel free to like me on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/j.kimmelfreeman, follow me on Twitter  https://twitter.com/jkimmelf, or check out my blog sometime, there are a ton of blog hops I always seem to be a part of http://www.jessekimmelfreeman.com/blog.html.

One lucky commenter will get a digital copy of either BELLA NOTTE or DEAD TO BITES, so make sure you comment!

Bella Notte:
Vampires? Check. Werewolves? Check. Death prophecy to hang over your head? Double check. Seventeen year old Emma Hutchinson struggles to find her place in the world she has been born to as she tries to decide whether she should be with Michael, the boy she has been dreaming about since she was three or if she belongs with Dominic, her betrothed.

Dead to Bites:
*Note to the readers, this book contains some explicit content. Reader discretion is advised.*

Kat Purrowells is an occult anthropologist. She thought she would be teaching what she knew at a local college, instead she was roped into working for a secretive government agency, P.N.I., Paranormal Investigations. There are murders in the San Fernando Valley of Southern California, Kat has been sent in to try and help catch these supernatural killers, but will the cost be her life?

Oh, and here's a little excerpt from Bella Vita:


Click.
Click.
Click.
Click.

The sound of high heels clattering away on the cold cobbled ground echoed in my ears. I'm not wearing heels, why do I hear them? The clicking continued as I walked down a chilled darken alley. Being a vampire took the fear out of the dark, I was glad I was one now. Where am I? It's strange when you don't know where you are, and you feel like you're searching for something. But what? I walked on.
That was when I saw them. She was taller than me, blonde and thin, and he was tall and tanned. Mike? No, he just makes the world feel like Mike. The inner light clicked on. Werewolf! It wasn't a question at this point. I couldn't see their faces, but I knew she wasn't a wolf, I sent my mental probing out to her- she was a vampire. My thoughts swirled. Why is she with him?
When I heard her voice, I understood. It was Issy and her boyfriend. My childhood best friend and her werewolf love. But why am I here?
“Issy, what's going on?” I said out into the frosty night air.
They didn't respond. It was like I wasn't there. They walked ahead of me and turned down another dark alley. I realized we must be near a secret club or something, people just didn't walk down alleys for the heck of it.
Her scream pierced the night. I wanted to move faster, but it seemed like my feet were stuck in place. What was wrong? What happened? I really wished my internal dialogue would shut up when things got freaky. I finally made it to the corner.
The fine hairs that cover my pale body stood at attention right away. Issy was covered in blood- not just any blood, but his blood. Oh crap. I didn't know how I could help. I merely watched as she shrieked over the body of her dead love, covering herself in more and more of his blood. That was not a good idea because werewolf blood makes us ill, but she didn't seem to care.
I heard the footsteps and wanted to shout to her to run, to get away from him. But I couldn't, I had no voice in this realm or whatever it was. When they came, there were many of them. Their voices grew from concern to anger once they found her. I could see the violence behind their eyes.
“Run Isabella! Run for you damned life! GET UP, LET HIM GO!” I was shouting to deaf ears.
I watched her stand with her hands turned out, her face held defeat, and her eyes looked empty.
“Don't just give up! You didn't do it!” I knew it in my soul that this was not her doing.
Then the crowd rushed her...


I woke with a start as usual. Why did I've to have a new dream to destroy my sleep? Dominic was in the room as usual. Apparently, he heard my scream- yet again. I was crying for my friend, but I didn't know what to do. He reached out and held my hand as he wiped away the hot stinging tears.

So unfair to stop there! Ladies, don't forget to comment or ask Jesse a question! 

18 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // August 24, 2012 at 7:26 AM  

    Good morning, Jesse!

  2. Barbara Monajem // August 24, 2012 at 7:41 AM  

    Sounds like you're having a ton of fun writing these stories, Jesse. Any particular reason for the Italian titles? They sure sound cool. :)

  3. Jesse Kimmel-Freeman // August 24, 2012 at 8:55 AM  

    Morning, Mary!

    Well, Barbara, Bella Notte developed from when I wrote BN and ended up sending my vampires to Italy for a vacation. The vampire club there I called Bella Notte. Great name for a vampire club in Italy! It's not the best name if you want to market the book to publishers and agents around or near any Twilight release because they all thought Bella was in reference to the main character. UGH! But I've stuck with the titles. I like them. The last two are Bella Tristezza (Beautiful Sadness) and Bella Morte (Beautiful Death). Thanks for commenting!

  4. Judith Keim // August 24, 2012 at 9:44 AM  

    Welcome, Jesse! Good luck with your series! They sound like a lot of fun! I write both kids stuff (middle-grade) and women's fiction. It can seem confusing but I like being able to change from one to the other...

  5. Beth Trissel // August 24, 2012 at 1:52 PM  

    Welcome Jesse. I really enjoyed meeting you. Love your small town--my origins--but I've lived on a farm in the country for eons so now even a town would be too congested for me. Your book sounds really interesting as do your other projects. I often gain inspiration from dreams so hear you there. I hope you will join us again soon. I have grandbabies the age of your children. And that really makes you feel sentimental.

  6. Autumn Jordon // August 24, 2012 at 5:18 PM  

    Welcome to the PFS, Jesse. I jumped into the indie pool this last March and so far the waters have been great. I love the titles of your books. I'm really not into vamps, but they do sound interesting and fun.

  7. Jesse Kimmel-Freeman // August 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM  

    Hey Judy, It's good to see another odd mixed genre writer! :0)

    Hiya Beth! I'd love to join you guys soon. It was a big change moving from Los Angeles to rural Alabama. I was shocked at how it was for me to go back to LA for a visit.

    Hi Autumn, the title for Dead to Bites, my husband thought up. I told him I needed a crimey-suspensey name, one that had to so with vampires. LOL.

  8. Mona Risk // August 24, 2012 at 7:24 PM  

    Hi Jesse, I was just reading a vampire book last night, so I'm still in vampire mode. I think your Italian titles are very eye-catchy.

  9. Josie // August 24, 2012 at 8:20 PM  

    Welcome, Jesse, and thanks to MM for inviting you to our Pink Fuzzy Slipper blog. Best wishes with your series. I loved your excerpt and thanks for sharing.

  10. Nightingale // August 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM  

    I absolutely love your titles, Jesse. Where did you Indie publish? I pubbed one on Amazon. Thanks for visiting the Pink Fuzzy Slippers.

  11. Jesse Kimmel-Freeman // August 25, 2012 at 9:34 AM  

    Thanks Mona! Vampires are my favorite thing to write/read about. I spent a lot of time do research and hanging out with modern vampires. I know, "modern vampires"? But I swear I did!

    Thank you Josie!

    Hi Nightingale, I'm published on Amazon, BN, Smashwords, Kobo, Createspace. Anywhere I could pub myself. :0)

  12. Patrice Wilton // August 25, 2012 at 3:41 PM  

    Hi Jesse,
    Very cool idea with your vamp stories, and I wish you a ton of success in self publishing. As you probably know, a few of us here have tried it and liked it, and it's wonderful to be in control.
    Good luck to you.

  13. Scarlet Pumpernickel // August 25, 2012 at 10:56 PM  

    Now you've got my attention! Jesse how do you hang out with modern Vampires?

  14. Jesse Kimmel-Freeman // August 25, 2012 at 11:16 PM  

    Hey Scarlet. You hang out with vampires the same way you do with any other people. We usually ate pizza. They were "normal" folks that drank blood or took energy from others. People that believed they were vampires, and if you believe you're something, and live the lifestyle, to me that makes you it- imo. My Masters thesis was going to be on their culture. I didn't get to finish it because my mom died and I had to quit the program, but I spent months hanging out with the vamps. They also went to sex clubs... which was a little much for me. LOL.

  15. Mary Ricksen // August 26, 2012 at 1:01 PM  

    You got my attention with the prologue! Gotta read this one!

  16. Jesse Kimmel-Freeman // August 26, 2012 at 1:36 PM  

    Hey Mary, I hope you enjoy it! :0)

  17. Scarlet Pumpernickel // August 30, 2012 at 12:20 AM  

    Jesse, I've seen things on TV or in movies about people who drank blood and thought they were vampires, but had no idea they really existed. Now the ones that draw energy, those I think are real. I've been around people who just completely tired me out without any physical exertion.

  18. Jesse Kimmel-Freeman // August 30, 2012 at 12:23 AM  

    Oh, they totally do. Most are "normal", minus the one little fact of being a vampire... but then there are those that even the vamps are turned off by- like those that think they're immortal.