Daughter Elise has finally completed her highly imaginative and wonderfully illustrated children’s book, Skaritch Skaratch Munch: A Cautionary Tale. A perfectionist, she labored over every detail, as I do words, and the result is well worth all the toil she invested.
Of herself, and her book, Elise says:
“This is a project that has been very dear to me and that I have been working on for well over a year and a half now.  I wrote in the style of a reverse cautionary tale, where instead of the adults being right, (as they usually are in cautionary tales,) in this tale it’s the children who are right all along and who ultimately come up with a solution to the problem.  I always like to try out new ways of illustrating so for this book I decided to go with some major mixed media creating and I had a lot of fun experimenting with it.  I greatly admire author/illustrator Mo Willems ,and his book Knuffle Bunny is one of my inspirations for illustrating this book the way I did.”
*Before and After images below
Having lived and breathed the ongoing efforts of an artist at work for many moons, I much more appreciate all that goes into illustrating a children’s book, not to mention writing it, and the thought behind even the font size and positioning of the words on the page. And a big plus, the two darling little people featured in the book are my grandbabies Emma Rose and her big brother Ian.
I’ve always loved children’s books and took Elise to the library faithfully when she was young. She haunts used bookstores and secondhand shops and has amassed quite a collection of her favorite authors and illustrators. Sometimes she or I even buy the copies new, but considering the library she’s building we must keep an eye on the budget. Any funds she gets from her own book will probably go back into buying others.  Or art supplies…computer software….
For eager readers young and old, Skaritch Skaratch Munch: A Cautionary Tale is available in print from Createspace.com and Amazon.com
To visit Elise’s newly formed blog and learn more about this book and her other projects visit: Coloring On The Couch

7 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // August 1, 2012 at 5:07 PM  

    Wonderful!!!! Talent abounds in the Trissel family!

  2. Nightingale // August 1, 2012 at 5:39 PM  

    The Trissel family is indeed gifted! Her abilities with the illustrations are stunning. I know like mother like daughter, the writing will be equally splendid.

  3. Judith Keim // August 1, 2012 at 5:47 PM  

    This looks wonderful! Very talented daughter..Congratulations, Elise!!

  4. Scarlet Pumpernickel // August 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM  

    Beth your daughter is very talented and I know you are very proud of her. Thanks for sharing with us.

  5. Unknown // August 1, 2012 at 11:35 PM  

    Thanks everybody! It really means a lot. -Elise

  6. Pamela Varnado // August 2, 2012 at 1:49 PM  

    Just lovely, Beth. I know you're so proud of your daughter. She's so talented, just like her mother.

  7. Josie // August 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM  

    Beth,
    I am so impressed by your talented daughter's attention to detail and imagination. My sincere congrats. I'm sure she will be selling many, many books.