This must be the decade of the Remake…from TV series to movies, the old is new again. Hawaii 5-0, Beverly Hills 90210, Battlestar Gallactica, Charlies Angels, The Bionic Woman…some made it and, unlike their originals, some didn’t…and some are yet to come…Dallas, The Munsters, Bewitched. In movies, it’s more obvious, King Kong, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street…the list goes on and on and on…

Not that I’m placing myself in the same category with the film moguls and those who sit in power at the television networks, but I’m been doing my own “remaking” lately, or as we, in the publishing biz call it..ahem…re-releasing. With enough changes and/or additions to make the second attempt different from the original (it seems there’s some type of minute legality that the second version must be deviate slightly from the first so there’s no copyright enfringement), three of my novels are being re-released this year. This also involves removing all mention of the original from any websites, blogs, and trailers produced…and that’s what this blog is about.

I made my first trailer four years ago. At that time, I had the MovieMaker app, knew nothing about jpgs, and was a total no-nothing as far as techniques such as the Ken Burns effect, zoom, cross-dissolves, fade-throughs, or wipe downs. Then I got my Mac Mini and with it, iMovie, and I went wild with trailers. I won’t say I’m an expert now but I’m a darned sights more proficient at it than I was back then.

What’s all this got to do with anything? Glad you asked, because that question is going to keep me to the subject and prevent me straying away completely. It’s mainly this: If you’re doing a re-release, and removing all publicity, then you have to do new promotion, and… You guessed it! A new trailer is included in that batch. So, while I was writing new scripts and gathering old jpgs and deciding if I needed new ones, I decided to re-make that very first trailer using all my newly-found knowledge.

It’s making its debut here, along with the old one, so you can see just how far I progressed. (Once again, I want to thank Linda Nightingale for her assistance with the old one--we did it on her computer in Houston--and say that the amateurish flavor to it is all my doing and not hers. Thanks, Linda!)

So here it is…TA-DAAA! The remake of the trailer for Three Moon Station, full of zooms, cross-dissolves, and plenty of Ken Burns… Watch both and marvel! (All this is said with tongue-in-cheek, in case you aren't aware.)

BEFORE:



AFTER:




Three Moon Station isn't being re-released but is still with The Wild Rose Press, http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89_126&products_id=1094

8 comments

  1. Judith Keim // April 2, 2012 at 12:41 PM  

    Toni, this is fantastic! I love the story and was fascinated to see how much you've learned doing trailers. You should have your own business, offering help to others!

  2. Toni V.S. // April 2, 2012 at 1:08 PM  

    Don't I wish, Judy! Thanks for the encouragement.

  3. Mary Ricksen // April 2, 2012 at 6:08 PM  

    Wow what a difference, so now I know who's doing my next trailer! Good stuff Toni, and I like the music a lot better too!!Need to make some extra money??

  4. Toni V.S. // April 2, 2012 at 6:25 PM  

    Don't I always? My wallet has a permanent hole in it, Mary. LOL.

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 2, 2012 at 10:06 PM  

    Both are good. Guess I'm just a little preverse, but I like the first one best. That's probably because I remember when you posted it and how special it was. Great job with both. The new one definitely has more special effects, Toni you were just showing out! Now if I ever find myself in need of a trailer, I'll know who to call.

  6. Mary Marvella // April 3, 2012 at 12:55 AM  

    Amazing how much we've learned in the past few years. Gettin' really good, Toni!

  7. Josie // April 3, 2012 at 8:57 AM  

    A re-release works for me, Toni. I've never done a trailer, and am scared to death just thinking about it.

  8. Beth Trissel // April 3, 2012 at 9:54 AM  

    Amazing Toni. I'm so behind in trailers. Maybe you will inspire me.