Musings of Spring

Posted by Scarlet Pumpernickel | 12:38 PM | , , , | 15 comments »

It's Spring time and I find myself feeling the need for change. My mother and grandmother often resorted to "Spring Cleaning" to fill this need. I think it is natures way of getting nesters to freshen up their abode.

 I look around and catch myself thinking about "spring cleaning." Trust me, this urge will pass. Just find a comfortable chair, a good book and settle in until the urge passes.

Seriously, everyone knows that Spring is a time for renewal and growth, a time for making changes. But, did you know that retailers are aware of this quirk of nature and exploit it everytime you go to the store?

Their goal is to separate you from your money. You go into a store and everything is grouped into colorful displays. Color coordinated and beautiful to lead into impluse buying that you never intended to do. Check out this link and you will see what I mean:
http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/04/26/buy-me-7-ways-stores-get-you-to-make-an-impulse-purchase/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl11%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D156288#photo-2

What can you do to protect yourself from the assault of this color-coordinated retail stratagem? First, when you enter the store be aware of their ploy. Those eye catching displays are there for a reason. The bright colors are to encourage you to liven up the drab little winter nest with the vibrancy of spring. Those new towels, shower curtains, shower hooks and other items are color-coordinated to help you realize the dull grey world of winter you've surrounded yourself with and offer, for a price, to liven up your abode.

Walk on by, stick to the list in your pocket. Don't be trapped by their attractive displays.

The next little trick you'll encounter is all those bright colorful flowers beside the door. Don't they just make your fingers itch to be outside planting your spring garden? Hold tightly to the handle of your buggy as you walk by, this too shall pass.

Now that you are aware of the pitfalls of going into the retail areana at this time of year, go on, pack the kiddies in the car and take a trip to your favorite mall or store. Be brave, but just don't say I didn't warn you.

15 comments

  1. Mary Ricksen // April 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM  

    All I do is bring along DH and Mr cheap will not let me spend any money!

  2. Mona Risk // April 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM  

    Scarlet I know exactly what you mean by spring didplay in store. Somehow I resisted. But Spring clean at home is an urge that doesn't last five minutes with me.LOL

  3. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 29, 2012 at 4:28 PM  

    I'm glad to see that the pink fuzzy ladies are able to with-stand the spring urges and hold steady to their course. Those displays are certainly eye catching. Having run a bath shop in a former life, I can attest to the fact that retailers use all their wiles to gain sales.

  4. Mary Marvella // April 29, 2012 at 4:31 PM  

    I take a nap and the mood to clean passes in that short time. I did start reorganizing my tutoring materials, because they had grown and spread like Kudzu and covered every surface.

    I take only a little money and no credit cards, so I can't fall prey to the conspiracy to seduce my money from me.

    Good blog, Scarlet!

  5. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 29, 2012 at 10:29 PM  

    MM, a nap often will curb the urge effectively. I've often employed that method. Glad you enjoyed my little Spring rant.

  6. Beth Trissel // April 30, 2012 at 8:03 AM  

    Who knew? Very interesting ploy. Fortunately I rarely go shopping but order online and am more controlled that way...until it comes to plants.

  7. Nightingale // April 30, 2012 at 10:45 AM  

    This post makes me smell jonquils and think of running home now and sparkling up my condo.

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM  

    Beth, good strategy. I was thinking of you as I wrote the last part about the flowers. I hope someday to get to visit your farm and see all your lovely flowers.

  9. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 30, 2012 at 6:25 PM  

    Linda, the very first story I published began with the sentence: Spring arrives in Georgia with a burst of yellow Johnny-quils. The editor changed it to daffodils. My grandmother would have turned over in her grave to have her beloved Johnny-quils called daffodils. Once you get the condo sparkly, perhaps MM and I will motor your way this summer!

  10. Josie // April 30, 2012 at 9:21 PM  

    LOL! Cute post, Scarlet, and oh-so-true. The stores entice us to impulse buy time and again.

  11. Patrice Wilton // April 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM  

    Spring is such a lovely time of the year, but living in Florida we seem to miss all that. Our flowers start to die and nothing we plant survives the intense sun and heat, with the exception of very few. Not that I'm complaining--I'll take our winters over the rest of the nation, and most of the year too. Good post, Scarlet.

  12. Pamela Varnado // May 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM  

    Scarlet, I can only deal with clutter for so long. If I walk through the house and it's not orderly, I get anxious until I straighten things up. My grandson drove me crazy with their toys. Good think I love 'em.

  13. Pamela Varnado // May 1, 2012 at 2:43 PM  

    Scarlet, I can only deal with clutter for so long. If I walk through the house and it's not orderly, I get anxious until I straighten things up. My grandson drove me crazy with their toys. Good think I love 'em.

  14. Autumn Jordon // May 1, 2012 at 5:00 PM  

    Oh my, just looking at these pictures I want to start throwing out the old and buy new. These marketeers are sly. LOL

  15. Judith Keim // May 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM  

    You're right...those colorful displays make you want to clean house all right - throw away everything in your closet!