Today is Dyngus Day or Dingus Day. It's always observed on the Monday after Easter Sunday. The day is also called Wet Monday because it's Monday and... Hmmmmm. Why?


After the long Lenten holiday, Dyngus Day is the first day of renewed life. Historians point to the baptism of Polish Prince Mieszko I in 966 A.D. as the origin of this holiday. Baptism with water signifies cleansing, fertility, and purification. Okay, that is where the water comes in. Dyngus Day is a day of celebration and fun, even a little romantic fun.

Now, I have your attention. Read on...

One ritual, on this day, boys are to run after their loves, catch them and then wet them down. Yup, they're suppose to sprinkle or drench their woman folk with water. This custom is very popular in Poland, and in Polish communities in America, especially in Buffalo, New York.

Yes, guys, get out your squirt guns, buckets, or other containers of water. It’s not my idea of romance but who am I to say anything about a tradition that has thrived for hundreds of years.



The tradition also asserts that the guys can gently hit their lady love on the legs with pussy willows.

Ha! I knew there was a reason I didn’t plant pussy willows. But I guess any switch can be used. DRAT!



Now, for the revenge part of my blog and the tradition. Ladies, you get to strike back. On Tuesday, the folklore states that you throw dishes or crockery at your man. Pay back, right? WINK

So, ladies, are you going to share the information on this holiday with your love? Mistakenly, I did. Now, I'm watching my back.

8 comments

  1. Toni V.S. // April 9, 2012 at 10:26 AM  

    I'd really like to know the origins behind those customs. Fantastic!

  2. Judith Keim // April 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM  

    If I threw water on my "true love", I'd really, really have to watch my back! LOL

  3. EC Spurlock // April 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM  

    What a hilarious custom! I'm surprised I'd never heard of it being of Eastern European origins myself.

    Just FYI, in the British Isles today is "Lifting Monday" when in Ye Olde Days each man was required to lift up and kiss the first woman he met on the street. I'll bet that involved some gyrations on the menfolks' part to make sure that woman was somebody he wouldn't get in trouble for kissing - or that it was somebody he actually WANTED to kiss!

  4. Mary Marvella // April 9, 2012 at 2:20 PM  

    I have never heard this, either. Are you sure you didn't make it up? What if a man wets the wrong person? Sounds like a story there.

  5. Mary Ricksen // April 9, 2012 at 2:51 PM  

    I don't think I would care for the water thing. But the other sounds quite charming! HeHeHe

  6. Autumn Jordon // April 9, 2012 at 4:05 PM  

    Me too, Toni. Fun learning folklore.

    HA, Judy. I told my DH not to get any ideas and showed him a good size vase. LOL

    EC, That's a good one. I never of that one either. LOL That couple spark some fights, I bet. LOL

    Nope, I didn't make it up, Mary. Go ahead and google the day.

    The whipping, MaryR? I didn't know you were like that. hehehehe

  7. Scarlet Pumpernickel // April 10, 2012 at 12:56 AM  

    Nope, not gonna happen.

  8. Josie // April 15, 2012 at 7:16 PM  

    This proves that I learn something new every day. I've never heard about this custom. And, my son's best friend lives in Buffalo, NY.