During the holiday season, love is in the air. But what is its true meaning? Since the beginning of time people have searched for that answer.
Great writers, such as Maya Angelou, Shakespeare, and Elizabeth Barrett Browning have written about it. Consider the words of William Blake:
Love seeketh not itself to please, nor for itself hath any care, but for another gives its ease, and builds a Heaven in Hell's despair." William Blake, English poet, (1757-1827)
In our culture we’ve created a maze of meanings for love--some good, so bad. To me, love is found in the small things that we do.
Love is more than fireworks and nights of passionate lovemaking. It often is found in the smallest acts that we perform on a daily basis. In fact, in our quests to find the real essence of love, we’ve stumbled across some amazing facts about that little four-letter word.
Love is what you feel when you look into the eyes of your child for the first time.
Love is when your heartbeat quickens every time your significant other enters a room. Even ten years into the relationships.
Love is helping your mother or grandmother open a can of green beans when her fingers are hurting from arthritis.
Love is when someone hurts you really bad and you find a way to forgive him or her.
Love is treating yourself to a day at the spa.
Love is saying no when saying yes will cause harm to someone.
Love is when you help a friend in need.
Love is when you smile and say thank you to the waiter/waitress who just messed up your order.
Love is cuddling up with your cat and dog and reading a good book on a rainy day.
Love is the foundation of everything good. It’s one of the reasons we exist. We need love like we need water. Without it we often fall into depression.
What are your thoughts on love?

14 comments

  1. Scarlet Pumpernickel // December 19, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

    Pam, you've made the case so well that there is hardly any need for me to add to it. A very timely and thought provoking post. Thanks for sharing.

  2. Nightingale // December 19, 2011 at 3:33 PM  

    Lovely post Pam.

  3. Barbara Monajem // December 19, 2011 at 3:57 PM  

    Thanks for the reminders, Pam.:)

  4. Mary Marvella // December 19, 2011 at 6:17 PM  

    Lovely, friend! Love is being a friend and listening when a friend needs to talk. Offering a needed hug.

  5. Pamela Varnado // December 19, 2011 at 11:05 PM  

    Scarlet, it was my pleasure to share this with you. I enjoyed writing it.

  6. Pamela Varnado // December 19, 2011 at 11:09 PM  

    Nightingale, I'm glad you enjoyed the post. It's sometimes hard to stay focused on what's important during the holiday season. Writing this helped to ground me and remind me of what's really important.

  7. Pamela Varnado // December 19, 2011 at 11:11 PM  

    Barbara, glad I could help. Have a happy holiday.

  8. Pamela Varnado // December 19, 2011 at 11:13 PM  

    Mary, I love hugs and make sure I give or receive one daily. The simple, but powerful gesture reminds me that I'm connected to the world.

  9. Hildie McQueen // December 20, 2011 at 8:09 AM  

    "And the greatest of these is Love" You are so right Pam. Great post

  10. Mary Ricksen // December 20, 2011 at 9:11 PM  

    boy could I use some of that kinda love! Thanks!

  11. Mary Marvella // December 20, 2011 at 10:15 PM  

    Mary R, some is headed your way!

  12. Pamela Varnado // December 21, 2011 at 12:44 AM  

    Hilde, love is the greatest power on Earth. I have to remind myself that sometimes, especially when I'm angry or feeling down. A hug or kiss from one of my grandsons has to power to make my day.

  13. Pamela Varnado // December 21, 2011 at 12:45 AM  

    Mary R., right now, know that you are being showered with love. I'm sending you boatloads of it.

  14. Josie // December 23, 2011 at 1:32 PM  

    These are beautiful thoughts on love, Pam, especially during this lovely holiday season. I believe love is kindness and compassion.