Our guest Editor, sharon L. Connors

Posted by Mary Marvella | 12:17 AM | 11 comments »

Sharon stopped by and left us food for thought! (Actually, I threatened her if she didn't come inside and share our fireplace and her expertise.) Take it away, Madame Editor.

Hello Fuzzies and readers!

Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Shar, and I recently was invited to join you as a guest editor. I am very excited to share editing tips as well what editors look for in submissions periodically here at The Pink Fuzzie Slipper Writers. I am currently pursuing free-lance editing, but have over 15 years of experience in the business of editing and writing from both sides of the proverbial fence.

I’d like to share a bit of background information today.

I edited for ePress-Online for more than ten years. ePress published fiction and non-fiction genres such as craft writing books, science fiction, mystery, as well tested the waters with a bit of romance and paranormal of which was my expertise. I worked exclusively with the mystery, paranormal, and romance genres. Unfortunately, the two wonderful women who owned and managed this press died several months from one another last year and ePress had to disband and shut its doors.

I have many books behind me that I have aided on the road to publication. And for me it is with great satisfaction that I was able to have a hand in helping so many authors to their dream. I am most comfortable working and teaching authors the mechanics, skills, as well smoothing out the rough edges of a piece to make it shine its best.

What I look for in a manuscript:

· A strong beginning hook—fierce conflict or action that will pull me right into the story and drive me to keep turning pages.

· Strong imagery and scene setting using the senses. I want to feel as if I am standing right there with the characters. I want to smell them, feel them, hear the rumbling of the truck two blocks away, the bluejays quibbling in the trees, the wind tossing my hair about. You get the picture.

· Well-fleshed out characters. Give them three dimensional personas. Realistic faults, weaknesses, conflict. I want to relate to them. I want to dislike the antagonist, and love the hero/heroine. I want to feel as if I truly know this person and what makes them tick.

· Clear concise language. Active fast-moving plot. A continuous story threading which is tied up in a tight little bow at the end.

· Active and vivid verbs not passive slow rambling prose.

· The classic rising curve to the climax and the smooth tumble to the ending.

I could keep going but will stop there. My main point is to point out the fact that as an editor, I am searching for the cream of the crop. The manuscript that catches my interest in the first paragraph and keeps it through to the end. Active voice (Show don’t tell) rather than passive summary and use of the senses to create awesome imagery. If you’ve accomplished that much you may just keep my nose in your manuscript for a full read.

Thank you for stopping by today and don’t hesitate to ask questions. I will drop in from time to time throughout the day.

Sharon L. Connors
Copy Editor/Proofreader of Fiction
Paranormal, Crime Suspense, Fantasy, Urban

sharlcediting@aol.com


Thanks for stopping by! Okay, folks, ask away! Make her work to earn her money.(just kidding)


11 comments

  1. Mary Marvella // November 19, 2011 at 12:39 AM  

    Hey, Sharon! Good Saturday morning.

  2. Mary Ricksen // November 19, 2011 at 1:11 PM  

    Thanks for the tips Sharon! Any inside scoop on how to get an editors attention is well received!
    Thanks for blogging with us!
    Now ask your questions People!!!!

  3. Anonymous // November 19, 2011 at 2:06 PM  
    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
  4. Anonymous // November 19, 2011 at 2:25 PM  

    Thank you Mary M. and Mary R. for the warm welcome. I am thrilled to be here today.

    Sincerely,
    Shar

  5. Nightingale // November 19, 2011 at 4:01 PM  

    Welcome to the Fuzzies Sharon, and thanks for the glimpse into an editor's mind.

  6. Beth Trissel // November 19, 2011 at 8:23 PM  

    Welcome to the Fuzzies, Sharon. Your expertise is much appreciated.

  7. Anonymous // November 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM  

    Hello, Linda and Beth. Thank you for stopping by:)

  8. Scarlet Pumpernickel // November 20, 2011 at 7:17 PM  

    Shar thanks for stopping by the pink fuzzies! We appreciate you blogging with us today.

  9. Mona Risk // November 20, 2011 at 8:12 PM  

    Hello Sharon, your words of advice should be every writer's Ten Commandments. I can't stand a book that is slow-pace.

  10. Judith Keim // November 21, 2011 at 7:42 AM  

    Hi, Sharon! So glad you stopped by the fuzzies! Loved your short, concise list of what you look for in a mss. It seems so simple, doesn't it? But we all know how hard it is to make that work. Love your input. Good luck with your editing!

  11. Josie // November 25, 2011 at 9:40 PM  

    Thank you, Sharon, for sharing your expertise with us. Strong beginning is always important, but I still struggle with my sagging middle.