I’m a car nut. Certifiably insane. I have always loved sports cars. My very first dream car was
a 1957 Thunderbird in pea-green with a white hardtop. (You know the one with the portholes in the top). That dream quickly fell victim to my dad’s bank account.

In the name of my obsession, I have owned a series of roadsters: a candy-apple-red 1964 Jaguar
E-type; a yellow 240Z, a British Racing Green MGB-GT (not a convertible), a dark blue Triumph TR-6 with British flags on the flanks. Then the convertibles disappeared and I didn’t own another sports car until Mazda introduced the Miata in 1989. Much to my then-husband’s dismay and disapproval, I bought a red Miata. After my divorce, my next Miata was a Mica-Merlot—a beautiful deep burgundy with saddle-tan interior and mica paint. The third Miata was a 2005, burnt orange, MazdaSpeed turbo-charged critter.

That brings me to current day and my little Z-3. I found the car with a shotgun Google search
in Pennsylvania. I flew to Mechanicsburg and drove the vehicle back to Houston. This was a utopic journey in the mountains of Tennessee and North Carolina, and I’ll never forget the experience—just me and Z3PO on the road again each morning.

For fun, Saturday a couple of friends and I went to the BMWUSA Team Drive--basically, a test drive, without the sales pressure. They drove a 650i convertible, but I thought the car too big for my tastes, so I wriggled my way into getting to drive a black-on-black hardtop convertible M3.

When I first asked to switch to an M3, the salesman apologized that he only had a manual transmission M3. Fine that’s what I drive! And Black Beauty was fast as a scalded cat. The salesman said “kick it” and I did. I don’t think he expected a lady of my years to really kick it or to downshift! I had a great time. Does anyone else just go driving for the fun of it? I could spend a few happy Saturdays test driving different cars.

I’m not only a nut, I’m a writer (NOTE: These may be synonyms). My latest release Night Before Doomsday is now available from Amazon. And under the Nom de Plume Bianca Swan, The Wild Rose Press published two erotic romance novellas: Celestial Sin and Hot Spanish Nights. Check out Bianca’s blog for trailers, excerpts and blurbs (as well as a free read).

11 comments

  1. Beth Trissel // November 4, 2011 at 2:11 PM  

    Linda, you are so awesomely kewl. I know next to nothing about cars. I'm utterly impressed.

  2. Judith Keim // November 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

    Linda, I love seeing you next to that adorable little car! Love that you can kick it up a notch!!

  3. Judith Keim // November 4, 2011 at 2:24 PM  

    Linda, I love seeing you next to that adorable little car! Love that you can kick it up a notch!!

  4. Pamela Varnado // November 4, 2011 at 3:11 PM  

    Linda, I can see you hugging the curves in a sleek little Miata. Zoom-zoom-zoom. My dream car is a Jaguar, not the newer model but the older one with the sporty look.

  5. Nightingale // November 4, 2011 at 3:53 PM  

    Pam, the Jag you want is probably an E-type -- 2 seater? Wonderful cars!

  6. Nightingale // November 4, 2011 at 3:54 PM  

    Thanks Judy and Beth. I no longer have the little Miata. My current roadster is Z3PO, but he hugs the curves too!

  7. Toni V.S. // November 4, 2011 at 4:43 PM  

    My only "sportscar" was an MG Saloon. I owned it before foreign cars became fashionable and no one in town could work on it. I had to drive 50 miles to another town to find a mechanic who even had half an idea of what to do.

  8. Mary Marvella // November 4, 2011 at 8:53 PM  

    I have ridden with Linda in her sports cars! That woman can totally drive!

    I have a 64 1/2 Mustang I bought new. Hot car!

  9. Barbara Monajem // November 5, 2011 at 12:45 PM  

    I'm not really into cars, but I love driving one with a shift. I once had a funky old Saab that I loved!

  10. Mary Ricksen // November 5, 2011 at 2:09 PM  

    One of these days I'm gonna sit next to you and you can drive me all over in that cool car of yours girl! Miss you!
    By the way great picture of you too!
    Not straight laced at all are you?!?LOL I always wanted a Z and when I met Chris he had a 56 Corvette now that was a cool car. He had copper wires and whenever he came to my house the neighbors TVs all messed up!

  11. Josie // November 6, 2011 at 1:45 PM  

    Linda,
    You look absolutely gorgeous and so cool by that car. Love it!